Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So lately the bike has been having... Odd electrical issues. It started earlier in the year when I would turn it on and the amp would not always come on. I rode extra miles to give it a better charge and that seemed to fix the issue. About a month ago I turned it on, no amp. OK so I turned it off and then back on. It fixed the issue BUT I got about a mile down the road and the voltage meter dropped under 12 and check eng light and batt light came on. It was still running so I just kept riding and about 10 miles it came up to 14.5 and the idiot lights went out. I started plugging it in since then and the problems never surfaced till a few days ago. Now it not only drops sometimes but it also will randomly max the volt meter and turn off my speedo/tach back lighting. I had my buddy test the regulator and he couldn't find any issues there. I'm in no way an electrician so please don't spout tech terms at because I won't understand. That being said I do having a working knowledge of wiring basics and such thoughts here?

One last piece too. If I hit really hard bumps, the left or right side speakers will turn off. Not both though just one side or the other. I run preamps from the HU to the amp.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
I'd say the voltage regulator is a great place to start. Especially since there's been known issues with them. I even they've been recalled. Have a dealer run the Vin to see if your bike I'd one of the affected bikes.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Most electrical problems are a direct result of a bad ground. Check all the ground connections you can making sure they are clean and tight.
As mention the VR have been a problem with the 2012 bikes so check and see if your bike was recalled.
Cleaning the VR connections with a good contact cleaner and putting some dielectric grease on the connections may help.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Had a similar issue on my '02 UG once. The battery cable was loose. As IM stated above, check ALL the connections before panicking, starting with the battery leads on both ends.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Just because the dealer said yours wasn't one the was under recall doesn't mean it isn't bad. Check your connections but I'd still be leary of the regulator

·
Registered
468 Posts
Got it fixed under warranty. Took it in and before the mech left the lot it spiked and dropped out. New regulator and it runs great now!
That has to be a relief and good feeling. Glad it is solved. Now you can enjoy the ride and not worry about flat-footing it home.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts