Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok i did read most the VR related problem but could not find one that had the same issue i do experiment.

Bike is RG 2013 with 16k miles on it.
PC5 with auto tune.
Here we go, i had a low voltage on the gauge after i start my bike 1 week ago, took off and after 2-3 minutes reading was good 14+ volts, and no other issues for the day.

Went for an other ride couple day after same thing low voltage on the gauge but with the red bat light and check engine, again after 3-5 minutes of riding all normal again for the rest of the day, no matter how many time i restart the bike 0 issue.

Sent the battery for testing return ok with 13.06 volts standby, 500 ish start amps with 12. 2 volts after test.
Check the stator ohms and volts all good.
Checked voltage with VOM when running all good with gauge on the bike at the test reading was 14 volts ish (no problem when i checked),
Checked connection at VR 0 corrosion.

Today start the bike took off no issue, restart couple time 0 problem. I stopped for a good break, i left the radio on for maybe 30 minutes and turned it off. After an other 30 minutes decided to return home, again low voltage with 2 idiots lights, once again after 2-3 minutes of riding all return to normal :confused::confused::confused::confused:

I seriously think about replacing my VR but since this is a electronic device it would be working or not working right??? am i wrong in my thinking.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Thought is like a one way, likely with Se (element) , retifer...., there is a sulfur smell when fried, some SS ones anyways, it's worth a look

·
Registered
951 Posts
This all sounds very similar to the issue I had with my 2012 RGU about 4 months after I got it. New VR solved the problem. Dealer covered it under Factory Warranty.

If yours is a 2013, you should still be under the Factory Warranty. Go in and talk to them, see what they say.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, the bike is out of warranty had for 3 years already and with the mods warranty was probably gone anyway lol I will buy one and just replace it, thank you.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Voltage regulators are not alway constant when going bad. That's why they're hard to determine bad. You really need to test other components. If AC volts are right coming out of the stator, and battery DC volts and load test check out ,and all connections are clean & tight, then it's usually the VR.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just that my thought process with electronic stuff is go or bad not a maybe it working lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok ours is a 2001 but basically the same thing. Finally yesterday we stopped to put on raingear and it totally would not restart. Everything I have read says to do the checks with the bike running. Well ours won't run what do we do in this situation? Plus no idiot lights came on at all.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Recall Was up to 2012. If you have to replace your VR get it from cycle electric Nice piece not like the POS from Harley.
For me, from now on when i have to replace something on my bike I always check after market first because HD quality is not there anymore.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Recall Was up to 2012. If you have to replace your VR get it from cycle electric Nice piece not like the POS from Harley.
For me, from now on when i have to replace something on my bike I always check after market first because HD quality is not there anymore.
Who sells their products for them ?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts

HD has never been known for quality......

With that being said, if you're a decent wrench, you can get a complete charging system upgrade including Stator and wiring for not much more than a VR alone.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
483 Posts
Ok ours is a 2001 but basically the same thing. Finally yesterday we stopped to put on raingear and it totally would not restart. Everything I have read says to do the checks with the bike running. Well ours won't run what do we do in this situation? Plus no idiot lights came on at all.
when you say it wont run what does it do ? Have you charged the battery to check it ? First charge the battery to full charge , then start bike and perform charging system check in the service manual to determine faulty part. If you dont have a manual let me know I can get you the checks and post them here

·
Registered
301 Posts
Dude just replace your voltage regulator! That is what's wrong with it! Mines was doing the same thing for a year and never did go all the way out! Easy fix trust me!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had my voltage regulator replaced due to idiot lights coming on. No problem for about one year then noticed on a 2700 mile road trip that the voltage would be near 14 when on the throttle then down below 12 when at idle. I tried to check the the voltage regulator and nothing was stable and no one that I talked to had a clue about them if they are good or not. Anyways I noticed that the contacts were dirty and oil soaked. I cleaned them, plugged everything back in and no problems. Did a oil change about 3 months later and same thing happened with the voltage. In my case I found when changing oil the oil was dripping down when unscrewing the oil filter and getting into the connections of the voltage regulator. I cleaned them and everything is good again.

I use several rags under the oil filter now when changing the oil which stops the oil getting into the connectors

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Before you shell out for a new VR check and do the following;
1, Remove the battery and put on a charger for 24 hours (to fully charge)
2, Check the torque on the mounting studs of your VR module (may feel tight by hand but check the torque)
3, Run an auxilary earth wire from one of the studs on the VR directly back to the main chassis earth point on the bike.
4, Get the bike up to operating temp and with the engine running apply so electronic freeze spray to the VR unit. If the problem clears but returns after a while the unit has an intermittent fault and needs changing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts