Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got back from the stealer $240.13 lighter for a new voltage regulator, which has Trixie back to showing 13.5 at 900RPMs and 14.4 at 2k. Stator/rotor and battery had all checked out fine blah blah blah.... But.

Back in my (2 years ago) Evo (and Shovelhead) days The OEM VR was in the $125 range...and lasted much longer (like a decade) than any of the aftermarket options I'd tried. But with the mindfuckingly ridiculous price on the new 3-phase 50amp VR for my 10, I'm left wondering if there are any reliable aftermarket options that might be priced (below rape) closer to what the damn thing is actually worth.

So outside of a preference for something American made (go figure...) I don't really give a damn who's logo is on it ... As long as it'll hold up properly for less than a king's ransom.

Suggestions?

TIA

·
Registered
132 Posts
I bought a chrome regulator for a 103 for less than 100 from HD installed myself in less than 15 minutes. The black version was over twice the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
So I just got back from the stealer $240.13 lighter for a new voltage regulator, which has Trixie back to showing 13.5 at 900RPMs and 14.4 at 2k. Stator/rotor and battery had all checked out fine blah blah blah.... But.

Back in my (2 years ago) Evo (and Shovelhead) days The OEM VR was in the $125 range...and lasted much longer (like a decade) than any of the aftermarket options I'd tried. But with the mindfuckingly ridiculous price on the new 3-phase 50amp VR for my 10, I'm left wondering if there are any reliable aftermarket options that might be priced (below rape) closer to what the damn thing is actually worth.

So outside of a preference for something American made (go figure...) I don't really give a damn who's logo is on it ... As long as it'll hold up properly for less than a king's ransom.

Suggestions?

TIA
NEW HARLEY-DAVIDSON VOLTAGE REGULATOR 2008-2014 FLH FLT 74505-09 - AJ Electric

Did they at least use Vaseline?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, like at those prices I could afford the extra $20 for a kiss and a greasy greeting. :surprise:

Although looking at Indyglide's post above, I do recall there being mention of a chrome unit that was cheaper - Like seriously WTF!!! - somewhere else...but that was never mentioned as an option by the dealer.

Thanks for the link ... At that price I can afford to stick one on the shelf for next time.. ;)

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
You should have called Jon (PC Pain) @ Horny Toad HD and you would have got a discount by letting him know you're a forum member.
A VR isn't that hard of a R&R and it is a easy DIY.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts