Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 RGS at highway speed the volume will get real quiet and then suddenly get loud. Will the newest flash take care of this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Short answer is no. Tried it and had no luck. Want to add a little frustration?? Turn ignition on and listen to,stereo. Sounds nice. Now start the bike...sound drops a lot. Then turn bike off but leave ignition on. Speakers come roaring back. Don't try to say it's the pipes washing out the sound. I mentioned this to the dealer and they said it's just the way the stereo is. I said could you make it work like it does when the bike is off while the bike is actually running. He said no.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've noticed this too with the 15 I just picked up on Sunday. Some times at 70 the radio is clear as day and then it will get quiet and louder. Don't really understand. Don't see how it could be an antenna problem or the radio just not picking up the station. This was never an issue on my 2010. Hope someone has an answer! Also does yours do it while listening to music via usb or bluetooth? I haven't tried that yet.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I replaced my radio with a Kenwood and it is doing this also...Just started yesterday and radio has been in bike for about a month..

·
Registered
134 Posts
I also switched to a Kenwood and mine is doing that too.. My installer says he thinks it is the box on the extra harness that I bought ($200) so I could keep the handlebar switches... Cant get it back to him till next week, but I'll try to come back and give a report if that is it... or what we find... Mine is a 2012 RGU.. my factory radio puked..

·
Registered
134 Posts
I talked to 2 guys that had that problem and Harley replaced their radios under warranty.. I havent gotten my in the shop yet..

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Do you guys have your phone Bluetoothed to the radio? Every time you get a text, it does this, decreases the volume, then comes back. You don't get a text beep, just the drop in volume, and the little text icon shows up at the bottom of the screen.

Also, If you are using a headset, the VOX function will drop the volume. Could be picking up ambient noise. A cough, exhaust, wind, etc...

·
Registered
88 Posts
the update helped. didn't solve the problem but defiantly better
Update didn't help mine. From more research it appears the issue is the DSP built into the head unit. Seems like the only real fix is to add good speakers and an amp. I read somewhere that it basically cuts the volume to the speakers as you turn the volume up to protect sound quality. I also read that if you turn down the bass in the EQ it will give you some more volume. I turned the bass down to 3 bars and I have much better volume at speed and the sound quality is still good with these hogtunes speakers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
having sound issues while riding reported issue to bbb

Here is my complaint to the BBB and the replies from Harley

I own a 2015 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special. It came with a stereo and stock speakers. Harley has a display you can listen to that has options for upgrades you can purchase. I purchased the top upgrades. After being installed I noticed issue with the system. I had the dealer look at it and they agreed there was a problem with the sound quality and operation. They had to contact Harley Davidson headquarters to get some of the issues resolved. Still not able to fix all the issues I started contacting customer support at headquarters as well. They had me replace the speakers (purchased upgrade component) to see if it fixed the issue. It did not, so they had the dealer replace the Amplifier (purchased upgrade component), still did not fix the issue. They then sent the dealer a new stereo to replace mine. The issue still did not change. Now corporate customer support is telling me the equipment is operating as designed and I can either live with it or get my money back on the upgraded speakers and amplifier. They are unwilling to do anything else to resolve the issue. By them replacing all three components it seems to me they were agreeing there is an issue so how can it be working as designed? I have made 10 trips to and from the dealer to try to resolve this issue and spent over $200 in fuel taking it back and forth.

Harley Response:
Wednesday, September 9, 2015
Thank you for providing the Reference Number and the Vehicle Identification Number. It appears from our records, that the sound system is operating as designed. Since Mr. Smith is not happy with the system, an offer to repurchase the sound system was given to him. Our records indicate he has declined that offer. Please advise if Mr. Smith is now interested in having the sound system repurchased. Thank you.

My Response:
Thursday, September 10, 2015
How can they repurchase the factory radio that is installed in the bike. The issue is in the factory head unit (stereo) and can't be returned as it is part of the bike. They say it is working as performed but had me replace every component to try to resolve the issue with no success. How can they say it is performing as designed when they agreed it was not performing correctly and had everything replaced and it has the same problem. They admitted to a problem when they had me replace everything and now they are saying it is working as designed? They are blowing me off because they don't know how to fix the issue. And their actual response was either "live with it" or return the upgraded items. So again they are admitting their is an issue by suggesting "I live with it". They have the items on display at the dealership and allow you to listen to the upgrades but the upgrades to not perform on the actual bike as they advertise. Even the service manager at the dealership stated that it's not right. I'm not an stupid person so as simple as replacing all the items to try to resolve this issue shows they agreed something is wrong and now they are saying there is nothing wrong.
I paid $24,000 for a motorcycle with a stereo and $930 in upgrades to the Stereo and they will not stand behind their product. The dealer I am working with stated he had another bike that is having the same issues. I have also talked to another dealer and they stated they are having the same issues with other bikes as well. So this isn't just my bike that is having the problems.
I have also spent over $200 in gas driving and trailering the bike to and from the dealer to try to resolve this issue (10 trips) and then they say its working as designed. Very frustrating.

contact me at [email protected] if you want more info. we need to complain to HD corporate to get this resolved. The more that complain they will have to do something about it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Harley Corporate responded to the BBB

After going through the Better Business Bureau Haley Corporate has said the misunderstood my concern. They are going to arrange for a Regional technical Lead to inspect my bike at the Dealership of my choice. We shall see if they say after we put it on the dyno and here how bad it gets once up to speed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts