Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to add some T-Bars to my 2020 RGL. I am interested in keeping my factory heated hand grips. Has anyone run into issues with reusing them? Any recommendations on handlebar manufacturers that will work with the factory heated hand grips? I'm thinking of running Boosted Brad's Death Metal Racing Destroyer risers, and am open to the bar manufacturer.
I'm also interested in how high I can go with the stock lines, 13", 14"?
I will plan on relocating the gauges to the risers, and remove the ignition module, getting the CVO flash.
I want to make sure that I can see the infotainment unit, as well as the gauges.

Thanks!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I put t bars and heated grips on my 2019. Most aftermarket bars are made of thicker tubing than the stock bars which is what causes the potential issue. Since the bar is thicker, the side of teh grip which holds the heating element does not fit without modification. My bars had to drilled outa bit on a drill press in order for the heated grips to fit. I'm pretty sure it's the right side that needs this since it houses the TBW.

Unfortunately for me, the grips I got fucking suck (Harley Kahuna) and barely work on occasion. I had a local guy do this for me as I did not want to deal with drilling the bars out, and when I called him to tell him they do not work...he was less than friendly which really fucking sucks for me.

I recently moved to a new minimally populated area and I ahve discovered finding a trustworthy shop/mechanic is much different than where I am from originally. Regardless, I have heated gloves.

I went with Bung King risers in 14" and Big Al's nick leonetti narrow bars. They are 28" wide with 2.5" rise and very minimal pullback. My bike had 16" F47 Legacy bars which were far too wide for my taste and obviously not my style.

As long as you are skilled with tools you should be able to do this fine. If you are having a shop or dealer do this...see if they have the skills and necessary ingenuity to figure it out. Many dealers put in this position will say the grips won't fit.

What are you doing for bars?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm wanting to add some T-Bars to my 2020 RGL. I am interested in keeping my factory heated hand grips. Has anyone run into issues with reusing them? Any recommendations on handlebar manufacturers that will work with the factory heated hand grips? I'm thinking of running Boosted Brad's Death Metal Racing Destroyer risers, and am open to the bar manufacturer.
I'm also interested in how high I can go with the stock lines, 13", 14"?
I will plan on relocating the gauges to the risers, and remove the ignition module, getting the CVO flash.
I want to make sure that I can see the infotainment unit, as well as the gauges.

Thanks!
I’m running a set of Thrashin Supply 6” pull backs and their mid bend bars on a 2018 I built for my boy. Heated grips fit right on with no issues. Can see radio just fine, can see most of gauges through the bars.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I went with 14” West Coast T Bars on both of my sharks. I’m 5’9” and I see over the bar no problem. No need to relocate the gauges. Install is pretty easy. I can’t remember which bike took what in the way of longer cables, but HD will be able to tell you. They’re the most comfortable bars I’ve used; and God knows I’ve tried just about most stuff out there the last 26 years. I don’t have heated grips for the winter because I didn’t want something else to have to worry about breaking or not working. I use heated gloves but then again it doesn’t get too bad out here in Vegas.

Reactions: Ceez and Zedbra

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
The issue is going to be running the wiring, the grips themselves will fit without issue. I fished everything through my 1-1/2" bars with no problem. The largest T-bar I've seen is 1-1/4", which would make fishing the extra wire through more difficult.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put t bars and heated grips on my 2019. Most aftermarket bars are made of thicker tubing than the stock bars which is what causes the potential issue. Since the bar is thicker, the side of teh grip which holds the heating element does not fit without modification. My bars had to drilled outa bit on a drill press in order for the heated grips to fit. I'm pretty sure it's the right side that needs this since it houses the TBW.

Unfortunately for me, the grips I got fucking suck (Harley Kahuna) and barely work on occasion. I had a local guy do this for me as I did not want to deal with drilling the bars out, and when I called him to tell him they do not work...he was less than friendly which really fucking sucks for me.

I recently moved to a new minimally populated area and I ahve discovered finding a trustworthy shop/mechanic is much different than where I am from originally. Regardless, I have heated gloves.

I went with Bung King risers in 14" and Big Al's nick leonetti narrow bars. They are 28" wide with 2.5" rise and very minimal pullback. My bike had 16" F47 Legacy bars which were far too wide for my taste and obviously not my style.

As long as you are skilled with tools you should be able to do this fine. If you are having a shop or dealer do this...see if they have the skills and necessary ingenuity to figure it out. Many dealers put in this position will say the grips won't fit.

What are you doing for bars?
I haven't decided on any bars yet, part of the reason I'm posing the question! It looks like the Thrashin Supply bars might work, and I know they make a good product. I'm up in the air on the riser manufacturer as well. I was hoping to see more manufacturers at Sturgis this year, but many were missing, and I didn't see much in the way of demo bikes to sit on. I'm kind of leaning toward a 8" riser, and a 4" bar. Not sure if I want a pull back riser, or straight. I'm 6' 4" so I don't typically need to decrease my reach.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm gonna go with the complete Kraus wolf Pro kit. It comes with everything, riser, clamps, top of the triple tree clamp, gauge relocation kit and bars. 10" bars with pull back of 1.5"

Wolf One Pro Kit

Kit is super clean and I've seen it in person. Just makes the bike look even better imo..
20201122_071855.jpg

Can't wait to dump these apes....

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I'm gonna go with the complete Kraus wolf Pro kit. It comes with everything, riser, clamps, top of the triple tree clamp, gauge relocation kit and bars. 10" bars with pull back of 1.5"

Wolf One Pro Kit

Kit is super clean and I've seen it in person. Just makes the bike look even better imo..
I'd really like to see how those are wired. Is everything going through the bars into the risers, or is it "hidden" behind them?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
So it looks like for around $2,000 I can have T-Bars that aren't internally wired, won't work with heated grips, and have a nacelle that isn't waterproof. And I'll lose my fork lock.

I like the look, but this is too cobbled-together with too many practical sacrifices. Especially at this price point.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So it looks like for around $2,000 I can have T-Bars that aren't internally wired, won't work with heated grips, and have a nacelle that isn't waterproof. And I'll lose my fork lock.

I like the look, but this is too cobbled-together with too many practical sacrifices. Especially at this price point.

Heated grips do work (don't need then here in SoCal anyways), all the wiring i have seen on a few different bikes is very clean. There are other options available to keep your fork lock, you don't necessarily have to go this exact route with Kraus.

If you don't care about the fork lock you can have your bike "CVO flashed" and you will be good to go. Its definitely not for everyone but the quality of Kraus parts along with fit and finish is huge for me. I have ridden this set up as well and its amazing, feels very similar to riding my dirt bike.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Yeah, I ride in the cold and I do long trips. Everything I've seen on the other forums suggest that heated grips won't work with either the wiring or the left side of the bar. The fork lock is less of a big deal, as a disc lock can do the same~ish thing.

If my Road Glide was not my long-distance tourer, and I lived in a warmer climate, that Krauss setup would really be tempting, especially given the high caliber of roads around here and the way I like to ride them. And again, at that price point there's too much stuff you've got to hack or kludge.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts