Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my 2020 road glide special and am not giving it up anytime soon. But with that being said I would like another bike to mess around with and have some fun. I'm looking into a honda grom or an enduro, either KTM or Husqvarna. They look like they could be alot of fun. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Sounds like an option. Then of course you would need a midsize softail cruiser. And maybe a Sleek go fast one .
Addiction.

Reactions: DanHappy

·
Registered
8,129 Posts
I love my 2020 road glide special and am not giving it up anytime soon. But with that being said I would like another bike to mess around with and have some fun. I'm looking into a honda grom or an enduro, either KTM or Husqvarna. They look like they could be alot of fun. Any thoughts?
I have a lot of thoughts. You put out there two extremes so I ask why Honda Grom, and why KTM/Husky?

Where are you going to ride? Who are you going to ride with? There are so many bikes out there to choose from.

·
Premium Member
1,532 Posts
I have had a good experience from a maintenance perspective with Honda and Yamaha. They seemed to be bullet proof.

·
Registered
8,129 Posts
I have had a good experience from a maintenance perspective with Honda and Yamaha. They seemed to be bullet proof.
That makes Kawasaki bomb proof. :whistle:

·
Shark of the Month October 13
11,711 Posts
I agree with the comments above. When I saw that you mentioned KTM and Huskie, my first thought was that both of those brands require much more maintenance than the typical Yamaha/Honda/Kawi/Suzuki off road bikes. I think before anyone here can give you meaningful advice, we have to know much more about what you're looking for in a 2nd bike. Off road focus? Street bike? Dual sport? How do you intend to use it? Solo riding, or 2-up? What's your approximate weight and height? How mechanically inclined are you? Do you do all your own maintenance? Do you like wrenching almost as much as riding? Give us a bit more to go on and you'll get some well thought out recommendations.

By the way, welcome to the forum from SW Florida.

Reactions: NCPiper

·
Registered
468 Posts
I ride dual sport and find it actually much more fun. My RGS was to relax (planning to buy another one) when I had it and to travel on. My dual sport is to have fun + cardio!

The KTM/Husky bikes are great if you stay on top of your maintenance. The level of performance is fantastic. I just got lazy and prefer the DRZ400 now.

Grom's are super cool but just so limiting on where they're practical due to speed and ground clearance limitations. How about a TW200 to bridge the two?

I do think $4k for a Grom is worth it for the payback in riding pleasure. I'd go KTM/Husky (or TW, DRZ) if you want to open the door to adventure riding if you have the forest roads available to you or a good trail system that you'd use. Good luck! Post back with what you decide.

·
Registered
2021 RGS 128
410 Posts
I've been looking at the same thing myself. So far I'm most impressed by the Suzuki (I had an old DR250S). They have the 400 in both dual sport and the 400SM super motard. Then there is the bigger boys, 1000cc twin available in their adventure bike! That one got my attention! I've also been looking at Kawasaki KLR-650. Ducati hypermotard (street), and a few others. I think I'll likely end up with the DR400SM for me due to price / quality and availability. I just can't decide until I've ridden the Ducati's. I've always wanted a Ducati.

·
Registered
2012 big blue pearl r.g. custom,chris rivas 574 cams. Rinehart extreme 4" RSD air cleaner barrnett c
505 Posts
I have a drz super moto and abuse it!! It's like a timex watch ( you know the saying) Been a great motorcyclefor me, Parts are cheap and there is tons of upgrades from brakes to big cams, big bore kits the list is endless

Glenn

·
Registered
9,033 Posts
The maintenance on a KTM and husky are a lot JMO
Glenn
????? - Maybe on a 2 stroke but you can run either in a 4 stroke with just oil changes and get MANY hours out of them - I use to race both and beat both motors within an inch of their life...the 4 strokes can take it.

OP....look for used as there is ALWAYS some cat who thought it would be fun, bought new and it has 4 hours on the motor as the power to weight ration scared the rider - If you like KTM and Husky, that Co also owns Gasgas and they have come a LOOOONG way - Beta also makes some good, fun bikes.

My Money....used KLR 650 or DRZ400 - The DRZ is fucking bullet proof but is a tad heavy and is only a 400...but can be fun in the right hands

·
Registered
468 Posts
Diggin' the love for the Dizzer! Super cheap to run and reliable as a hammer.

Here's my last one and I plan to build a clone of it now. I'm just starting to look for a lightly used one this week as I sold my 2020 BMW R1250GS ADV last week. My next RG will come in the fall.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I didn't even know what a Honda Grom was till I read this thread. Googled it, and I can tell ya boys and girls, if I was still having to commute to work every day, I'd by one of those tomorrow. Website claims 166 mpg. Even if that is off by 25%, you'd still get 120 mpg. It was 27 miles one way to where I worked, 54 round trip. I could go all week on 2 1/2 gallons. In my pickup truck, it would take that much per day. It would pay for itself in a year!

·
Registered
8,129 Posts
I've been looking at the same thing myself. So far I'm most impressed by the Suzuki (I had an old DR250S). They have the 400 in both dual sport and the 400SM super motard. Then there is the bigger boys, 1000cc twin available in their adventure bike! That one got my attention! I've also been looking at Kawasaki KLR-650. Ducati hypermotard (street), and a few others. I think I'll likely end up with the DR400SM for me due to price / quality and availability. I just can't decide until I've ridden the Ducati's. I've always wanted a Ducati.
I rode part of the NH Flatlanders route a coupe weeks ago. There is a Discovery Route, and an Adventure Route. Many Class 6 and seasonal unmaintained "roads".

·
Registered
9,033 Posts
Diggin' the love for the Dizzer! Super cheap to run and reliable as a hammer.
My Goal with my old turd was to make it as light as possible - Tank, Swinger, Rims, everything - This bike took 2 years in the Dirt (My Attempt at Hair Scrambles...did not like) to then get converted to a SuperMoto that I raced for another 2 years....sold it to a fellow racer who raced it for another 1.5 seasons before it went BOOM - After her diet, I prob spent more time cleaning it then I did Maintaining it......the thing was a fucking race mule and ran strong until it didn't

Attachments

·
Shark of the Month October 13
11,711 Posts
I hope you have a Ducati dealer really close to you as you're likely to spend lots of time there. They're much more dependable than they used to be but still have too many issues. It's not that they're all BIG issues, but they often don't have the parts you need, and oops, the US Distributor is also out of that part, so it's going to be 6-8 weeks before the dealer has them for you. This isn't a supply chain issue, it's a long term issue that's plagued them for years. I remember having a 350 "Scrambler" that ate it's main bearings at around 2,000 miles. It was off the road for a couple months before it was fixed, and then it ate them again at around 3,500 miles. It went up for sale as soon as the second set of new bearings were installed. That's ancient history but I also have a cousin that has 2 Ducs and he has to now haul his bikes a couple hours for service work, as the small dealer near him went out of business. Often it takes a week or two to get parts to the dealer.

My brother owned the one Duc that I always wished I owned, a 1992 900 SS Superlight. All that year's Superlights were yellow, and had lots of light weight goodies. They made 900 total with something like 1/2 allocated to the US market. I rode it several times and it was a terrific ride (for an hour at a time ... clip-ons and high rear-sets).
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Ducati SuperLight[edit]
The 900 SuperLight appeared in 1992 as a limited edition model SuperSport. upswept exhaust pipes, vented clutch cover, fully floating Brembo front discs, carbon fibre bits, and lightweight Marvic wheels and guards. In 1993 the vented clutch cover, fully floating Brembo front discs, and lightweight Marvic wheels and guards disappeared from the Mark 2 SuperLight, and there was now only the fully floating rear brake to differentiate it from the 900 SuperSport.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts