Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone has a wards fcs fan for sale please pm me. I've been looking to get one from him for about 6 months now but I still think he is down for personal reasons.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The Love Jugs Mighty Might fan is a identical version of the Wards. Lots of post on here about the two companies and products.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Some people might have more details but somehow he's not selling them right now & Love Jugs are selling almost identical fans with The Mighty Mite
NEW MIGHTY-MITE – Love Jugs
Exactly right. In fact I heard from a reputable resource that Wards was either bought out or was 'absorbed' by Love Jugs. The fact that they're now selling identical units seems to bear that out.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Exactly right. In fact I heard from a reputable resource that Wards was either bought out or was 'absorbed' by Love Jugs. The fact that they're now selling identical units seems to bear that out.
well, I would question anything that you get from now on via your 'reputable' source.

this is from steve, at love jugs:

I guess it is fruitless to respond to this theory that keeps hanging around like diaper rash. The only reason I'm doing this again is that if we don't reply it makes this nonsense seem like it's truthful. So here we go again. If you want to do some research yourself you will find that not one word of the above theory has even the slightest basis in the truth.

I can categorically state that Hammerhead Engineering did not force/buy out, have any non-compete, or influence Jason Wards actions in any way. In fact we've never directly spoken to the man.

Jason's actions are his actions and he is 100% responsible for them. We wish him well and hope there is no serious health issue that has led to his lack of any kind of response to even his most loyal supporters for an entire year. No explanation, no apology, no fixes on the many broken fans under warranty, no mea culpa - not a word. So handle this with Jason rather than making up unsubstantiated slanderous theories that we had any hand in this behavior.

Steve

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
well, I would question anything that you get from now on via your 'reputable' source.

this is from steve, at love jugs:

I guess it is fruitless to respond to this theory that keeps hanging around like diaper rash. The only reason I'm doing this again is that if we don't reply it makes this nonsense seem like it's truthful. So here we go again. If you want to do some research yourself you will find that not one word of the above theory has even the slightest basis in the truth.

I can categorically state that Hammerhead Engineering did not force/buy out, have any non-compete, or influence Jason Wards actions in any way. In fact we've never directly spoken to the man.

Jason's actions are his actions and he is 100% responsible for them. We wish him well and hope there is no serious health issue that has led to his lack of any kind of response to even his most loyal supporters for an entire year. No explanation, no apology, no fixes on the many broken fans under warranty, no mea culpa - not a word. So handle this with Jason rather than making up unsubstantiated slanderous theories that we had any hand in this behavior.

Steve
Interesting. I've got no dog in this fight, but there must be more to the story of how LJ came to be selling an identical replica to the Wards fans.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
im just starting to research these fans. Not for parading or stop and go, but for everyday riding to keep temps down.

I recently found this on the Love Jugs website:

"Wards Fans- Consists of two small fans. They are very small, so small in fact, that their own web site description describes them as the “Miniature” model and the “Micro“ model. The extreme heat produced by a typical Harley engine, demands a cooling system that is able to pump huge amounts of forced air at high velocity, directly at the problem area. To expect a “Miniature” or “Micro” fan system to successfully tackle that oh so difficult cooling task is simply not possible.

If your house was on fire, would you want a low volume “Miniature” or a “Micro” hose, or would you choose a powerful high volume fire hose? The laws of Physics can never be altered to prove untrue advertising claims."

But now they sell the mighty-mite, as the smallest size air cooling system in the market.
:confused:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right... it's interesting. I emailed Steve at love-jugs yesterday morning. I will be sure to post the response here. (He or they have not responded yet) pretty much asking about the mighty mite and if it cycles or stays on. Does the fan continue running after the bike is initially shut off like wards does. If you don't have an acc switch do I have to buy one... etc etc.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Right... it's interesting. I emailed Steve at love-jugs yesterday morning. I will be sure to post the response here. (He or they have not responded yet) pretty much asking about the mighty mite and if it cycles or stays on. Does the fan continue running after the bike is initially shut off like wards does. If you don't have an acc switch do I have to buy one... etc etc.
Definitely would like to know that info too! Thanks!

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
im just starting to research these fans. Not for parading or stop and go, but for everyday riding to keep temps down.
FYI... Neither Luv Juggs nor Wards fans will add any extra cooling for normal open road riding. The fans are simply not effective while moving at speeds of 25-30mph and up. The only real benefit of these fans comes when in stop and go traffic or parading.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been doing research on this for about 6 months now. While I am not am engineer, I am a diesel mechanic, so the idea of heat soak is part of my daily work. The research done by the companies makes sense (wards and love) under 40 or 30 they do make a difference. The real clencher for me personally is after a long ride I find that my eitms will be active after I get off the highway and I am running to hot then. I'd like to see how much of a difference the fans make once motor is at temp in order to keep temp below eitms engaging, or potential heat soak damage, oil burn, etc etc etc. all things bad for engine.

I found a good article somewhere by a guy who really outlines twin cam engines and potential issues. Check it out, he's kind of a downer, but his points make sense. http://http://www.jamesrussellpublishing.biz/beforeyoubuyharley.html

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
The real clencher for me personally is after a long ride I find that my eitms will be active after I get off the highway and I am running to hot then. I'd like to see how much of a difference the fans make once motor is at temp in order to keep temp below eitms engaging, or potential heat soak damage, oil burn, etc etc etc. all things bad for engine.
http://http://www.jamesrussellpublishing.biz/beforeyoubuyharley.html
Thats what im talking about. for when you are riding through town after a nice long ride. Kinda like what the Buell's have.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
I've been doing research on this for about 6 months now. While I am not am engineer, I am a diesel mechanic, so the idea of heat soak is part of my daily work. The research done by the companies makes sense (wards and love) under 40 or 30 they do make a difference.

The real clencher for me personally is after a long ride I find that my eitms will be active after I get off the highway and I am running to hot then. I'd like to see how much of a difference the fans make once motor is at temp in order to keep temp below eitms engaging, or potential heat soak damage, oil burn, etc etc etc. all things bad for engine.
you have a 2016. the parameters for the eitms activation have changed. while cylinder head temp is still one of them, hd has added ambient temperature greater than 80*. so, you're gonna be hard pressed to anything to keep your eitms from kicking in, short of disabling it or only riding in the late fall to early spring time frame.

Reactions: moto.rich

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I've been doing research on this for about 6 months now. While I am not am engineer, I am a diesel mechanic, so the idea of heat soak is part of my daily work. The research done by the companies makes sense (wards and love) under 40 or 30 they do make a difference. The real clencher for me personally is after a long ride I find that my eitms will be active after I get off the highway and I am running to hot then. I'd like to see how much of a difference the fans make once motor is at temp in order to keep temp below eitms engaging, or potential heat soak damage, oil burn, etc etc etc. all things bad for engine.

I found a good article somewhere by a guy who really outlines twin cam engines and potential issues. Check it out, he's kind of a downer, but his points make sense. http://http://www.jamesrussellpublishing.biz/beforeyoubuyharley.html
I run the Wards fans and I ride almost daily in Orlando traffic. Last summer I started noticing that my EITMS was not kicking in when I was in stop and go traffic. Ambient temps were in the 90's. One weekend I decided to take the fans off for whatever reason. Monday afternoon while riding home I had ridden about 10mi and then hit stop and go traffic. My EITMS kicked on by the 3rd traffic light. That whole week I noticed that it didn't take very long at all to get the bike up to full operating temps and then for the EITMS to kick in once stopped in traffic. I reinstalled the wards fans and the next week I never had the EITMS activate at all in the same ambient temps and same traffic. As far as riding for a while and then hitting town, you still do not get any benefit from the fans unless you are going below 25mph. If you are not using them for stop and go traffic, my opinion is that they would not be worth the money or time to install.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Today Jason from Love Jugs contacted me directly in regards to some questions I had about his units, mostly mighty mite and what are the big differences from wards fan etc.

First, he emailed me last night at 3:30 am saying that he got my email and was going to call me in the morning to answer my questions since that was his curfew to get to bed. I returned his email and he promptly called me.

First I asked about their fan cycling. He told me that since the jugs were aluminum, it was pointless to offer a thermal switch to turn the fan on and off during riding due to the properties of aluminum and that over time it does more damage than help. He said run the fans constantly, it doesn't hurt them, but if I was really worried installed them to an acc button and turn them off while riding at highway speeds.

I then questioned if the fans will continue to run after engine shutdown like wards fans say they do on his website. Answer was no, but as long as your not "key off" they will run. (Being plugged into acc switch or wired directly to battery)

I then asked about his 8-4 pin connector and was it a necessity. He said that plug and play is always better but included in the box from the company is wiring, fuse and connections to splice system into 8 pin acc adapter. Which is a nice touch if you don't want to spend the $25. This was in regards to my 2016 RG.

He also touched on the fact that he spends extra on his box and material in the box so that the buyer actually has something to reference and install guide. Furthermore, this weekend he said he is rolling out a new warranty feature that for $12.50 a year the buyer can buy a warranty for their fans, up to 5 years. This is piece of mind. He said all you do is email him your fans don't work and in three days you get a replacement and you throw away the old fan, very handy and very good business practice.

Now he asked me to share my thoughts on the forums, I was going to regardless of him asking or not. All in all he was very nice and understanding over the phone. He also offered me a small discount for reaching out and being patient with him getting back to me. I bought a mighty mite, and it should be here Monday 7/17. I will do an unboxing review and install and post back here. If, he is claiming to do what he is saying he is going to do, and with ward being out right now, love jugs is the way to go for air cooling of engine heads / jugs.

Reactions: JayKS

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Auto shutoff for Wards or Mity might Fans

If you are creative with wiring a little bit you can use a delay relay on the fans. If I leave them on and shut the bike down, they remain on of 90 seconds. The relay I purchased is adjustable so I can change the timing (delay on and delay off). Unfortunately I cannot locate the link for the one I have however im sure if you search the web you can find a 12 volt delay relay. If I remember it was only about $15

Hey, Im a little OCD with wiring, what can I say :grin:

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Today Jason from Love Jugs contacted me directly ... I bought a mighty mite, and it should be here Monday 7/17. I will do an unboxing review and install and post back here. If, he is claiming to do what he is saying he is going to do, and with ward being out right now, love jugs is the way to go for air cooling of engine heads / jugs.
Subscribed. I'll be interested to see how you like them. I did some reading on Love Jug's site and I like what I'm seeing, regarding more robust fans, better vibration damping, etc.

I recently removed my Wards fans that I've been running for the last two years because the thermostat and the fans kept failing on me. Jason Ward was good about making it right when my thermostat failed, and then again when my rear fan quit working.Then my replacement thermostat failed and I didn't bother replacing it, but rather just turned them on and off with the toggle switch. Then about a month ago I found out that my front fan quit on me, too, big time. Like a seal went and the fan sort of puked it's guts out. Last straw, especially since Wards seems to be out of business. So now the unit's sitting on a workbench in the garage.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Got this on another forum, Love Jugs claim that their Mighty Mites are better then Wards. I was ready to order Wards fans but got no response back and that was a while back so the M M might be the only option. Anyways here's what Love Jugs wrote:

You kept asking for answers on why we claim that our “Mighty Mite” cooling system is superior to the Ward's “WPWFCS” product. No disrespect to our competitors or the Harley community is intended. We're just presenting the facts that you have asked for. Love Jugs offer you smart engineering, impeccable quality, and a much greater value.

Love Jugs newest cooling system “Mighty Mite” is far superior to Wards “WPWFCS”. Although the appearance is similar, there are major engineering improvements that were necessary to bring the Mighty Might up to the high quality, ruggedness, and performance that was required for the Love Jugs name to be attached to this product, here's why....

1. The heart, and most important part of these units are the motors powering the fans. Both units have close to equal power yet the Mighty Might fans are far more reliable, explanation to follow. Wards buys inexpensive off the shelf Delta brand fans that are manufactured with an all plastic frame and housing. Due to the severe vibration, heat, and stresses experienced by the fans when installed on a Harley engine, the all plastic construction is prone to failure. Our propriety custom manufactured fans have eliminated the high failure rate caused by an off the shelf, all plastic fan. All Love Jugs fans are manufactured with a brass base (Patent Pending) that adds tremendous strength to handle the severe operating conditions experienced by their use on a Harley engine. The off the shelf fans used in the Wards product, were never intended to be used in such a violent and punishing environment.

With the violent vibration experienced by these products, failure of a fan, switch, wiring, etc is inevitable, yes, it's possible even on a super rugged Love Jugs unit. No worries if anything should fail on the Mighty Mite. All internal parts are easily replaceable even by a person with limited mechanical abilities. Example: If a Mighty Mite fan should fail, smart engineering will allow the consumer to replace the fan easily. The time required to complete the plug and play fan replacement is about 30 seconds, (not a misprint) A Wards fan failure requires the entire unit to be sent back to Wards for repair because it’s quite a task to replace the fan unit. A task that not many would attempt once they discover what is involved to successfully complete the Ward's fan replacement procedure.

Another example: If a toggle switch fails on the Wards product and requires replacement, once again, the entire unit needs to be sent back to Wards for repair, because the switch cavity on the Wards is filled with GE silicone making it extremely difficult to dig it out for replacement because the silicone encapsulates the switch and the wires. In our tests we were not able to complete this task without a lot of time spent, and the wires were damaged and needed to be replaced trying to free them from the silicone bond. Mighty Mite's have an access plate with a gasket. Removal of two screws allows for the removal of the plate and easy replacement of the switch if required. No soldering is required since our design uses plug in electrical terminals. Ward's switch replacement (after digging out the silicone) requires the de-soldering of the wires and then soldering is required to attach the wires to the switch.

2. Plug and play harness. All Love Jugs units come with a wire harness complete with a Deutch plug that plugs into the accessory switch plug on Harley's equipped with that feature. Also included are all electrical parts required if direct battery hook up is desired. Wards does not offer the plug and play installation.

3. Mighty Mite's also includes a new heavy duty Vibration Damper in every box, to replace the stock Harley vibration damper. This heavy duty and 33% thicker vibration damper better positions the unit for the strongest and most desired installation. Wards does not include a new heavy duty Vibration Damper.

4. Since the Wards product is not user serviceable, If you experience an issue that requires some sort of repair, all required repairs need to be shipped back to Wards for repair or replacement. That costly and aggravating procedure can take 30 days and longer, to get your Wards cooling system back on your Harley. If a Mighty Might unit should require a repair of any sort, the unit will be back up and running with a very easy to replace new part in a flash, usually within 2-3 days you're back up and running. No boxing the unit up for shipping, no shipping costs, no trips to the post office, Everything is on us because we honor the trust that you have put in us to present you with the best cooling products that money can buy. We will never let you down!

5. Customer Service. As all current Love Jugs owners know, Love Jugs customer service is our highest priority, that's why we offer assistance to any and all customers seven days a week. In the rare case that any replacement part is required, we priority mail the part at our expense, usually the same day or the next day if request comes in too late to get it out to the Post Office. In eight years, not a single customer has been ignored or denied quick resolution of any issue they may have. Any posts saying we did not promptly respond to any of our customers is simply not true. We are delighted and proud of the many testimonials by our customers praising our amazing customer service.

Although it's obvious even to the untrained eye, it costs a lot more to manufacture our Mighty Mite cooling system compared to the Wards product. Even our main frame hub is thicker and stronger than Wards. We are currently offering the flat black model with the screen front at a very low price of $299 and the all chrome screen front model at only $349. This is not a sales pitch because we are about 30 days away from offering this product for sale. Ordering our Mighty Mite will also be much easier than the Ward's back and forth deposit system, When offered for sale, you will simply click the "Buy it now" button on our website, and your Mighty Mites will arrive at your doorstep typically within in 2-3 days. Thank you all for your interest in our product, We will never let you down!

P.S. You are going to love your new Mighty Mite cooling system, I dare say that once you have a Love Jugs equipped Harley, you will never ride without them ever again.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts