Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the 1" floorboard extenders (moving floorboards out 1") over the winter. They did come with a warning about losing some of the ground clearance in corners. Today was the first chance I had to get the bike out in a couple months. I made it exactly two blocks from my house, and making the last turn to leave my neighborhood... I ended up slammed to the ground and the bike slid for approximately 15 feet (I was doing a california roll through a stop sign so I was going less than 10 mph). I now have a bruised shoulder and knee, my neck and back feel a little tweaked as well. Luckily my leathers took all the road rash. The bike on the other hand... well it is F'ed up. Right side highway peg, crash guard, lower fairing, muffler and floorboard are all scratched pretty bad. The front fender got scratched pretty bad but the saddlebag took it the worst. Not only is it REALLY scratched, it cracked it vertically on the front side of the bag. Two big nasty cracks running top to bottom of the bag.

The $45 spent on the extensions was definitely not worth the couple thousand it is going to take to put the bike back together.

I am sure there will be someone pipe in here with "I have had those extensions for 2 years without a problem" but this is not for you guys... This is just a warning to the people that are thinking of purchasing the extenders.

Good day to you all and ride safe!

·
Administrator
12,485 Posts
Wow.... first, glad you're basically ok, I don't have extenders, but if I ever think about getting them, I'll remember your thread. Keep us updated on the repair of your bike.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Sorry to hear but glad you are OK!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I was thinking of getting those(before). thanks so saving me several thousand. I have CVO paint so I'm sure it would have been an even bigger mistake for me. Glad you are going to recover and I hope you find some good deals (or some great mods) as you fix the bike.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your concern and I will update this thread when I get the estimate from the shop and the info from the insurance man.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Before we get too far down this road, I've got to say that there must be more to this story. I can't imagine that one inch board extensions are the sole cause of this. Even with the extensions, the boards still touch down first and they're still hinged.

As a disclaimer, yes I actually have been running the extensions for two years with no issues. Then again, I'm also running Banana Boards, which I think are slightly narrower than stock, so maybe my setup is a wash.

Anyway, glad you're ok.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Before we get too far down this road, I've got to say that there must be more to this story. I can't imagine that one inch board extensions are the sole cause of this. Even with the extensions, the boards still touch down first and they're still hinged.

As a disclaimer, yes I actually have been running the extensions for two years with no issues. Then again, I'm also running Banana Boards, which I think are slightly narrower than stock, so maybe my setup is a wash.

Anyway, glad you're ok.
I'd have to say you are right on the money. I've had them for almost as long as I have had the bike (a bit over 3 years now), and I have put over 65,000 miles on them. I do have some scraping on really severe leans (scraped them 1 time on the Dragon), but always at the bottom outer edge of the board, and it always flips up on contact. I would have to say they are probably one of the most comfortable upgrades I have done.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I have them on mine and as Jay said anytime I have pushed the limit and scraped them they moved the way they are designed. I do have an Ultra and the ride height is more than a Custom. Have you lowered the bike?

·
Registered
958 Posts
I'm curios as well, I've had them on a couple of my HD's - when you have size 13's they truly help, never had an issue - put well over 100K with them on - was the board locked somehow, like the other post why did it not bend?

·
Registered
967 Posts
Glad that you are ok the bike can always be repair or exchange. Be safe.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I have them on my RGU for three years and did some pretty good leans and never had a issue with the one inch extender. Doing low speed there is no lean and I don't get it. If you lived in the snow belt I would say you hit a patch of road sand. Not many of us are riding since we have another month poor riding conditions. How can the extenders be the problem?

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Man that really sucks. HOpe you get the bike fixed and you heal quickly!

Ive had footboard extensions on 2 bikes, my 06 Street Glide and now on my 2010 road Glide.
Because both of these bikes have lowered rear suspensions, with the extensions on, the boards scrape all the time. And not just the boards, the actual arm or mount of the floorboards scrape.
This was especially scary for me on the tail of the dragon on my 06 street glide, as i darn near lifted the rear tire off the ground as my back end slid out by scraping the footboard mounts.

So dont assume its only your footboard dragging or scraping. It could be the footboard mount too, and could make you slide out, as TitusPollo is saying.

So because of this, ive been thinking about how to make different footboard mounts and a thinner footboard. thats what i want!

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Glad your not too banged up. Like others said , bike can be fixed. I still don't get how your leaning that far over at 10 mph. You sure you didn't hit some loose sand ?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Glad you are okay. Condolences for the bike. Thanks for the warning.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Damn dude, that just plain sucks.
I don't see how that happens at a slow speed,
unless you caught a pothole and it sent you tumbling and sliding.
I've had mine on for 70k miles and sent many array of sparks
flying either on round abouts or mountain twistys.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Ive had mine on for about a year, I've scraped a couple of times, but nothing that even scared me, much less wrecked me.

Yeah, I know you said folks would give you the "I've been using them for years", but that's because they have.

There just something amiss in your tale.

Glad your OK.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Had extenders on the last three bikes. But they were the type that moves the board only, not the mounts. On my 08 Ultra, I sliced the tabs off the floorpans and re-welded them to put the board where I wanted it. I could see how moving the mounts out could be an issue but the board should fold up first and give some warning.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I've run them and never had a problem , also I run JRi 12" shocks which lowers my bike , I ride aggressively in corners , hope you get your bike back together

·
Registered
155 Posts
As others have said, there must be more to this story.

Another data point: Since 2006 I've put 1" floorboard extenders on my last three touring bikes for over a combined mileage of 60K. When I ride I don't corner hard like a sportbike, but on occasion have slightly scrapped my boards while turning. Never once have I experienced what the OP has related.

regards,

1 - 20 of 93 Posts