Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a bottle of Mobile 1 V-twin 20w-50 synthetic oil for my 2012 road glide, it was in a dark gray/black bottle. On the back of the bottle is says that it is JASO MA rated for use in the primary.
I went a few days ago to buy oil for an oil change and noticed the same oil is now sold in a silver bottle but it no longer has the JASO MA rating on the back. If you go to their website it show it is JASO MA rated.
I called Mobile One yesterday (8-13-2012) and asked the tech if the mobile one v-twin 20w 50 is JASO MA rated. He told me that it is NO LONGER JASO MA approved and do not use it in the primary. He said the only mobile one product that is JASO MA approved is the Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40.
They told me that the ratings on their website are about a year old and have not been changed yet.
Just wanted to warn those of you, including myself that used V-twin in the engine and primary you might want to reconsider using it in your primary.

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, did the tech mention why the rating was dropped?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the heads up, did the tech mention why the rating was dropped?
He said that they lowered the overall ratings that the oil met and that automatically caused the JASO MA rating to fall off. He seemed to think that since it was still available in the racing 10w 40 that was all they were concerned about. He said it would still perform excellent in our Harley engines.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Poor

Hello.
Great Post!!

Pretty poor for a webpage to be out dated by a year on what sounds like an important issue.
I used this info to help me decide on Amsoil.

·
Registered
409 Posts
You can run just about anything in the primary and it be OK, after all HD changed the mileage on when you have to change the primary and that should tell you that it's not critical.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Back in June I changed mine out and used the Mobile1 vtwin (silver bottle) and I have noticed that nuetral is a heck of a lot harder to find. Plus it seems to me that the primary case is hotter now, ie; can't rest my calf against it at stop lights for more than a second or 2 or you'll know it (this is with blue jeans on)

I had been running Amsoil but found the Mobile1 on sale so I figured I'd give it a try. I'm going to swap it back out next week when I get home and I'll give an update on what I find.

Heck it might not matter, because it has been pretty dang hot down here the last couple of months.

Ricky

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
You can run just about anything in the primary and it be OK, after all HD changed the mileage on when you have to change the primary and that should tell you that it's not critical.
As long as it does not have friction modifiers or your clutch can slip

·
Registered
276 Posts
Been using it....

since 1K service and just used M1Vtwin in all holes for the 5K service. Runs great as always. Used forever in all holes in my 98 EVO also. Problem with finding neutral, not me. Noise, not here. Hot, well with the motor not running everything gets hot just sitting in the sun here. Hype?

·
Registered
409 Posts
I use the Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w50 in oil & primary and use the Mobil 1 gear oil in tranny and get great results !!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
A week ago at Sturgis I was chatting to a Mobil 1 rep and he told me you could use V-twin for Gearbox, primary and engine. The bottle he showed to me was silver 20-50 weight and on the front label it said exactly that. Someone at Mobil is BS-ing I guess.:confused:

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Hey peppa1 which gear oil did you use for your tranny? I've been using Mobil 1 in any and everything that I own that has an engine but with them pulling it out of Walmart and making it that much harder and more money to get I'm thinking of using redline for a season and see how it behaves.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I agree Mobile 1 v-twin is great stuff for our engines as it doesn't break down very easily, however I think it may be overkill for the primary and transmission. Personally I really like the formula + and it cost a heck of a lot less.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
The EPA is the one who forced H-D to change the oil change intervals. The old intervals were 5k for the primary and 10k for the transmission. Now its 10k and 20k respectivly. The only reason it was so soon was to help pad the dealers service departments profit margin.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts