Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone has read my postings about my 107 I had built 600 miles ago with seized pistons at 500 miles . That was not the only issue with this shop before that I had them put in a six speed and the damaged the trap door...after 35 days of waiting to get new piston and ju

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I sent before I was through any ways 35 day my bike sat waiting for new pistons and jugs (no hurry now) since it was on them they re used the rocker box gaskets and front and rear are leaking!! My bike isn't going back there for anything . Also have a friend who's paint was damaged there. You've been warned I wish I was. Shops name is BackRoads Custom Cycles in Lathrop Ca.

·
Registered
7,304 Posts
It sounds like a good time to get a new shop to bring your bike to for further work

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
3,813 Posts
After they screwed up the trap door & your friends paint job, that should've been a sign, they aren't worth $hit. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Had a bike come in here that was at 2 dealers here in the CNY area.
They could not stop the leak behind the trans sprocket, and one even broke the main drive gear(!!??!!) attempting to do so.
One of those dealers did not install the quad seal behind the pulley spacer.........
It's repaired now.
Working at a dealership with a big toolbox, or reading/googling/you-tube info does NOT, repeat, does NOT, make one a mechanic.
No brag, but we've repaired others messed-up stuff on more times than I remember.
Scott

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
If anyone has read my postings about my 107 I had built 600 miles ago with seized pistons at 500 miles . That was not the only issue with this shop before that I had them put in a six speed and the damaged the trap door...after 35 days of waiting to get new piston and ju

Are you using a cast or a forged pistons?? In general a forge pistons needs a bit more break in time and the RPMs shouldn't go over 3500 in the first 500 miles. Some people may have different opinions on this but running a forged piston to hard before proper break in will seize the engine.
I have reused rocker box gaskets and rocker cover gaskets many times, sometime I reused the gaskets 4 or 5 times and never had leak issues. Not tightening the rocker boxes or rocker covers right or installing the gaskets wrong will cause leakage but in a lot of cases the upper O-Ring in the pushrod tubes will be the cause of leakage.
35 days is a bit too long to get parts IMO. Hope everything turns out good this time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are forged pistons and was told they did a dyno break in the first go around. This time I haven't went over 3500rpm and haven't ran the bike long with out letting it cool down , I've put 120 miles on it so far and it's going to a shop Saturday for new gaskets and seals. How many miles for a proper break in??

·
Banned
94 Posts
Are you using a cast or a forged pistons?? In general a forge pistons needs a bit more break in time and the RPMs shouldn't go over 3500 in the first 500 miles. Some people may have different opinions on this but running a forged piston to hard before proper break in will seize the engine.
I have reused rocker box gaskets and rocker cover gaskets many times, sometime I reused the gaskets 4 or 5 times and never had leak issues. Not tightening the rocker boxes or rocker covers right or installing the gaskets wrong will cause leakage but in a lot of cases the upper O-Ring in the pushrod tubes will be the cause of leakage.
35 days is a bit too long to get parts IMO. Hope everything turns out good this time.
you break in rings,not pistons.any seizing would be the result of setting the piston/cylinder wall clearance too tight.forged pistons need to be set looser than cast,but still has nothing to do with break in

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
It all depends on how the builder sets up the build.
If the builder follows tighter tolerances which will allow for a better ring seat than the break in is more critical.
If the builder used loser tolerances than the engine will break in faster but the ring seat will not be a good.
Jims recommends nothing over 3800 rpms (including shifting) in the first 1000 miles on forged pistons.
HD recommends following the break in proceedure outlined in the owners manual which is varying speeds but nothing over 3500 rpms for 500 miles.
Google "v-tiwn forged piston break in proceedure" for more info.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts