Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are any of y'all having problems with your front rotors warping on aftermarket wheels, i will soon will be on my third set on a front wheel a little over 2 years old. The company I bought them from have been good about replacing them,,,but damn I either have to pay someone to replace or do it myself, getting kind of aggravated

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have renegade rotors and having a problem with them also there 2 piece rotors can just the outsides be replaced or the whole rotor
I know that with RC Components 2-Piece Rotors one can purchase the replacement "outer ring" (braking surface) of the rotor but am not sure if Renegade offers this option. The only thing that would concern me about replacing only the braking surface is not knowing what on the 2-Piece Rotor is actually warped, is it the braking surface and/or the decorative center...if it's the center that is warped, then I'd think that replacing the just braking surface would not eliminate the issue.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Yes, many warped rotors even on stock wheels prior Rushmore, then HD changed to tandem braking system instead fixing the calipers piston issues. The problem is when brake the pistons don't releasing the pads pressure against rotors eventually over heating and warping. Go after market like PM calipers if you are tire of changing rotors. Expensive but will take care of the problem.
Also can clean the calipers with brake fluid very often, pain in the neck specially if like to ride a lot.
Good luck.

·
Registered
927 Posts
The wheel could be the culprit, but I doubt it. I'm wondering if the brake pads were changed out when you swapped out the "bad" rotors. If not, could be the source of your problem. Ideally, your new rotors should be bedded in properly with new pads, and there's a right and wrong way to do it. Also, did you actually check the runout or are you just going by the pulsating feel when you apply the brake? What you're feeling might just be what's called "judder", again, caused by the pads not bedded correctly to the rotor.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When they sent new rotors, they also included, pads to change out as well, also I had the wheel checked for run-out and it was fine...regarding the issue with the pads are not releasing I have not heard of that, but i have been told that the Brembo brakes are very good about releasing ..

·
Registered
927 Posts
I should have been more clear. I was asking if your "warped" disks were checked for runout, as they're sitting on the hub. Rotor runout will cause uneven wear, eventually causing thickness variation which will also cause that pulse you're probably feeling. Since your wheel is true, and if runout on the disks is minimal, I would suspect either pads aren't bedding correctly, or as ERod62 said, calipers might be causing pads to drag. The calipers dragging would be an easy diagnosis, put the bike on a lift and give your wheel a spin preferably right after a ride. I would also ask who did the work, and was everything torqued to specs? Hopefully someone else can chime in. BTW, my then brand new 13 RGU had discs replaced at first service.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I've had stock rotors warp on 2012 and 2014 wheels. I got a set of take offs cheap so I'm going to run those for now but after that I'm going to floating ones. Most likely aftermarket

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Warped rotors are a common problem. I went with HD floating rotors 5 years ago and I still have them on my bike never needed to replace them, so maybe you should try the HD floating rotors instead of the aftermarket rotors.
The front rotors are thinner then the rear rotor and that's why there is hardly ever reports of warped rear rotors. Also over use of the front brake can cause front rotor warpage, maybe you should try to do a more controlled braking by looking ahead and using the engine by downshifting and using the rear brake and use the front brakes for the times you need to stop quicker.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Nothing new to +^

cept There is a correct axle/spacing when putting front wheel on, before
properly torquing (upside down), thinks it like 7/16 ths round stock or drill, you pull back to

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all the input. Will floating disk rotors fit aftermarket wheels?

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
All wheels should have the same bolt pattern for rotors, how would the aftermarket wheel company know if you're useing stock or aftermarket rotors.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I purchased these Galfers Rotors about 6 months ago. Excellent performance w/ EBC HH pads. I'm hard on my brakes, but so far rotors are still flat.

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
What to buy

My 2016 developed front warped rotors with 7,000 km on them.

What aftermarket would be better. My last bike I went with a stainless steel rear rotor and it was excellent.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I am now at 20k km's and the front right rotor is warped again... It is out 11 thou.

Is there a better rotor that stock or is it probably the calipers that the dealer has to change?

·
Registered
125 Posts
The galfers are over a year old put about 15k on them still very flat and still stopping very effectively. i'm running them with the stock brembo calipers so the calipers are up to the tast. first i wanted a badass bagger so i redid the engine when the bike had about 7k when i was still making monthly payment the stock power wasn't doing it for me. dyno torque is now 118 ft lbs great now i have the go fast but now i need some go stop power. i was considering cf rotors very expensive with a lot of mixed reviews cs was so so when inquiring about them. my last sport bike a zx10r was super quick and that bike stops great because of the galfers rotors. called them regarding fitment for the rg they had nothing but contacted me when they were available about 1.5 years after my frist call. their expensive, quiet (no squeling at all) and they look dam sexy. before this i was using the ebc hh pads great pads but they put a groove (pad contact area) on the stock brembo rotors, now the galfers after 15k of hard stops the only marks are the bedding marks (and a pretty large dent on the front fender caused by fairing hitting fender nose dive on hard stops). i highly recommend these if it's good enough for motoggp bikes it's good enough for us. I believe these motogp bikes run either brembo or galfers rotors. brembo dosn't offer the full flloating rotors for our fitment and it was either the stock pos ones or a machine ground ones from galfers. most hd rotors are laser cut but the galfers are machine ground to ensure flatness. do you want the bike to run chrome pos rotots for looks or do you want to stop. i get a lot of thumbs up beause they look so sexy believe me they work. how much is your life worth. galfers3.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts