Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has probably been asked before but couldn't find anything searching so if it has been answered please point me in the right direction. I have my 2015 RGS that I am planning on doing my own maintenance on. Can't see paying the dealer costs. My question is what documentation do I need to have/keep on hand to make sure my warranty is not voided. Also will using certain non-HD fluids void my warranty? Thanks all for the help.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Keep all receipt for lubricants and filters. I would also keep a log of service work you are doing. Pics of odometer showing mileage etc can't hurt. You can use any oil you want. If something does happen they will have to prove it that what you used caused the issue which would be near impossible to do.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have done all my own maintenance on my bikes and have never had any issues with warranty issues but I have only had a couple of warranty issues on the last 3. A cracked clutch basket and an electrical issue. I was never asked for any documentation. The dealer near me was happy to help me. I do my own work just because I want to be sure that it will be done correctly. I grew up working in an independent bike shop so I'm comfortable doing it. I had actually diagnosed the two issues but they needed to do the work so I wouldn't have to pay for parts.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. That is kind of what I was figuring. Just wanted to hear it from someone with some experience on the subject. Thanks again.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Ok this is what the dealer told me and my experiences. Let them do the 1st service at 1k. I had them include a 1 k service when i bought the bike. i got the service forms off this site and stapled the receipts for oil, filter, orings etc to the form for all the other services i had preformed. I had a huge issue with a 2009 fat bob and the drive belt falling apart. i did not get the initial 1K service done by them, i did it. My history with them showed i had bought all the stuff to do the 1 k service minus fluids. This included a service manual and a belt tension tool. The dealer refused to pay for the belt going bad, delaminating, and I was on the hook for it belt and labor. I had to call corporate H.D. and raise hell to get this paid for. They would not pay the labor since I did the work myself and their thought was i set the belt too tight causing it to fall apart. They said if I would have had the 1k done thru H.D. that it would have been covered parts and labor. Its all an ugly circle and it all depends how the service writer-dealer wants to work with you. I understand you can do you own work but and this was my experience. Let them do the 1 k and you do the rest of the services

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I have been buying new HD's since 1990,its been my experience that your warranty is no better the dealer that you are going thru.I had a local dealer tell me they would warranty my bike as long i didnt split the cases and put in a stroker kit(this was in the mid 90's),cams, pistons and head work was ok to do.This dealer has since changed hands the new owners are real ass hats.

·
Registered
2012 RGU vivid black
1,595 Posts
Yep what big Jim said and I do all my own and so far I've never been questioned but like they said it's different from each dealer

·
Registered
639 Posts
Definitely agree that it depends on the dealer. The service mgr at my local dealer knows I do all the work on my bike and my wife's bike. He even told me one of the best things I could do for my bike was change the header and get rid of the cat. Also agree that there are some dealers that are idiots. Just depends.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
No dealer will give you problems on warranty because you do your own services. Engine mods are a different story. You always have the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act to throw at them if they do.

·
Registered
639 Posts
No dealer will give you problems on warranty because you do your own services. Engine mods are a different story. You always have the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act to throw at them if they do.
Oh, there are definitely dealers, or at least one, that will. Just not GOOD dealers that will. I agree that being educated about warranty law does help!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Little Off Topic

But regarding warranties...

I bought a new anniversary Deuce on 5 Dec. 2002 with the 5 year warranty extension. One warped flywheel replacement covered the expense of that initial warranty. When I approached 5 years I extended it again to the maximum of 12. That was in Dec of 2007.

In 2010 I got the new RGU and pretty much stopped riding the Deuce (at 86k miles) but I kept her.

Just last month when I was approaching the end of the warranty's road I took "Annie" in to Gruene HD in New Braunfels and had them go over her with a fine tooth comb. They found about 3K worth of warranty covered items (including labor) and got her fixed up before the warranty expired. This included front rotor, cam chain tensioner, a whole bunch of crap.

Again, it paid for itself one last time before I began 100% liability for repairs.

I'm a believer.

·
Registered
639 Posts
But regarding warranties...

I bought a new anniversary Deuce on 5 Dec. 2002 with the 5 year warranty extension. One warped flywheel replacement covered the expense of that initial warranty. When I approached 5 years I extended it again to the maximum of 12. That was in Dec of 2007.

In 2010 I got the new RGU and pretty much stopped riding the Deuce (at 86k miles) but I kept her.

Just last month when I was approaching the end of the warranty's road I took "Annie" in to Gruene HD in New Braunfels and had them go over her with a fine tooth comb. They found about 3K worth of warranty covered items (including labor) and got her fixed up before the warranty expired. This included front rotor, cam chain tensioner, a whole bunch of crap.

Again, it paid for itself one last time before I began 100% liability for repairs.

I'm a believer.
Thanks for the info on the ESP. I will be at the end of my factory warranty soon. I am seriously considering purchasing the ESP mainly to have protection when traveling. At home I do my own work so repairs wouldn't cost me much, but I can see where paying a dealer to do it would add up quick.

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
AS mentioned before doing your own maintenance such as fluid & filter changes won't hurt your warranty.
Word of caution, DO NOT tell the dealer that you done mods or tried to fix warranty covered issues yourself, the dealer will then turn down the warranty claim because the work was not performed by a HD certified mechanic.
The less you tell the service manage or any HD employee the better you are because the dealer can make notes on what you told them on your file which goes on the MOCOs main computer nationwide.

·
Registered
24 Posts
ESP warranty

Had a catastrophic engine failure on my 2009 FLTRSE3 at 36,300 miles. I had done all of maintenance work on it since 10,000 mile service. Was never asked for receipts or who did my work. It was a lifter failure so not something I could have screwed up. Real happy with ESP warranty!!!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
This has probably been asked before but couldn't find anything searching so if it has been answered please point me in the right direction. I have my 2015 RGS that I am planning on doing my own maintenance on. Can't see paying the dealer costs. My question is what documentation do I need to have/keep on hand to make sure my warranty is not voided. Also will using certain non-HD fluids void my warranty? Thanks all for the help.
Ive always changed my own fluids on all my bikes. I keep all my receipts and write the date and mileage on the receipts. I also keep a small notebook that I write date, mileage and whatever work I'm doing.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I go for a digital log. First I take a picture of the odometer. Then on the floor a picture of the oil, service manual, torque wrench and needed tools. In that picture also is a log of the items to check for what ever interval it is. The log include's a comment of what I found not just a check mark what it was done.

I go to Surdyke's web site and download the checklist that they post for you to copy of the service interval for your model.

At 74 I have been through many conflicts and if someone wants to take me on I come loaded with a 10 gauge elephant gun.

I average about 6 services a year on my collection. Save an absolute fortune over dealer costs. However, If you check your dealer they now offer $69.95 oil changes. It's a new HD program. I think it is for those with over their 24 month warranty. Resist a little and they have a one time $29.95 coupon. Some dealers are considering having a tech just for oil changes like some car dealers and do a quick turn around with no appointment.

The times are a changin!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts