Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Glide. The tech at the dealership said that with the stock stereo I can't install speaker lids. He said it'd only work on 2006 and up stereos because of the OHM's or something like that. I'm VERY ignorant to stereo/audio lingo, so he kinda lost me. I'm already wanting a new head unit, and have been looking at Kenwoods with the Hawg Wired wiring harness to use my hand controls. If I went with a newer stereo, will that allow me to install speaker lids? Thanks for any help here!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
What he^^ said! Harley boom¡ audio speakers may not be compatible with your head unit and that's ALL the HD "techs" seem to know about, but I find it hard to believe the 2005 head unit is incompatible with every speaker and amp in the world!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't really ask about amps or speakers for the fairing. Just for lids. That sounds like a good idea though. I think I'll head to the local Best Buy and chew on some punk kids ear about stereo logic. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
while the tech is 'sorta' correct. if you are going to go with a new head unit, amps, etc. then you should have no problems.

the current hk system came out in 2006. 2005 and back use the old radiosound systems which are 4 ohm, while the hk are 2 ohm. and it is not a direct swap to replace the 2005 system with the newer 2006 system. uses different plugs.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
There are better options than what came stock on any Harley. While the HK is leaps and bounds above the old radiosound unit, if I were to upgrade it'd be with something aftermarket. Do that and the possibilities are endless.

·
Registered
487 Posts
don't go to best buy. best buy is for when you already know what you want. find a stereo shop in your area for real help.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback everybody. I've been pricing stereo's, amps, and speakers. The lids may wait till next winter.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for the feedback everybody. I've been pricing stereo's, amps, and speakers. The lids may wait till next winter.
Shop around for what you are looking for, then look for it on Amazon. You'll be amazed how much cheaper you can find it for. So much so, you may still be able to afford your lids...

SBG sends.

·
Registered
875 Posts
do yourself a favor and search this site for the audio info, you will find just about every answer you are looking for. Depending on what you are trying to solve, you may find adding speakers to inner fairing or lowers (if you have them) may be a better solution. Again, search and read, its all here. Good luck with your project.

this may be helpful as well: http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm

·
Registered
198 Posts
okay so the nerd version of what everyone said is this, The tech was correct and this is why, the speakers in the baglids are usually 4 ohm, where as the stock ones in your fairing are actually 2 ohms. The 4 ohm speakers will actually cause that channel of the radio to push LESS wattage. Which is strange but the service writer at my stealerhip told me something similar when I was doing my rebuild.

now some knowledge for you, speakers can be wired to half or double the rated ohm, you just have to see how to do it. You can wire them in series, bridge them, parallel, or just regular.

I actually am really getting into the audio side of the bikes because from wrenching at a shop for a considerable time, i only saw gold wingers with the booming systems, ad we didnt get to touch those, they we for the lead tech only, but I am loving it now because after getting out of the corps the first time in 97 I owned a stereo store in the hight of the "audio wars." :D:D

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I went with a Hogtunes 5x7 speaker and amp kit and ordered a Sony head unit. I'm planning on selling the tour pack, and the money from that will go to the speaker lids. I'm hoping this will give me some good sound. I've read good things about the Hogtunes 6x9 speaker lids, so I may go that route unless I see something better. THanks for the explanations.

·
Banned
845 Posts
Well, I went with a Hogtunes 5x7 speaker and amp kit and ordered a Sony head unit. I'm planning on selling the tour pack, and the money from that will go to the speaker lids. I'm hoping this will give me some good sound. I've read good things about the Hogtunes 6x9 speaker lids, so I may go that route unless I see something better. THanks for the explanations.
Dont forget about the money for the head stocker HK head Unit! Not sure what these go for, I kinda am curious myself anyone know what his is worth? What about. A 2012 HK Head unit?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Buy the lids only then pick the 6x9s that you want.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks. I'm so new at this it isn't even funny. I don't know jack about audio stuff. Not even for my car, but I know I want my bike to sound good. THanks again.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts