Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping to get some direction/advise on "washing" or "cleaning" my road glide. I just bought it and I've never washed a bike before. A buddy tells me not to use liquid soap and water...to just use cloths to buff it and chrome cleaner. I had planned on simply taking a hose to it...then using a liquid soap...buff it with clean rag. I realize this question sounds naive but I want to do the right thing for the bike. Thanks for any advise.

·
Registered
324 Posts
For my bike i always use a polishing rag and like a meguires or adams detail spray. The only time i wash my bike is if i get caught in the rain. Thats when i will give it a good wash. I usually use rain-x brand car wash (just what i like) then after washing i use my backpack leaf blower to dry the bike off then i go through and polish the whole bike. As i said this is what i do and has always worked for me.. Hope that helps

·
Registered
55 Posts
Here in southern Louisiana you have bugs, lots of bugs and with the added clumps of grease you get from freshly greased semis on the interstate, the bike requires a good wash. Not to mention the RG with a tour pack creates quite the vacuum and attracts lots of fine dirt that attaches itself to the rear of the bike.
Just use common sense when washing. Don't wash a hot bike, avoid high pressure spray on wheel bearings along with the instrument cluster in the fairing. Use a good bike/car wash and blow dry immediately. I use a towel on the chrome and apply Wizard's detailer with a micro cloth for the final finish. I also use Novus on the windshield cause it seems to work best on my Windvest. Just my opinion, but listen to what others do as well.:D

·
Registered
520 Posts
thanks to a fellow RG.org member.. peroxide in a spray bottle for the bugs.. genius :D... then S100 (at harley), the whole bike and rinse, rinse, rinse, it doesnt come off easily. will leave a white residue if not rinsed completly..:D

·
Registered
593 Posts
Don't worry, water will not hurt your bike.:) Like he said above, just be smart about where you direct the spray, and there's no need to use a pressure washer. Detail spray and a high quality microfiber cloth are great for maintenance when the bike is mostly clean, but eventually it will be dirty enough to require a proper wash. Don't use dish soap unless you're stripping it to apply polish/wax; use a real car wash soap. And as mentioned, a leaf blower helps greatly in getting water out of all the nooks and crannies you'll never reach with a drying cloth.
I'm a big fan of Adam's products, but whatever you use you will find some good tips in their videos.
http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-Detailing_Video_Vol_8_Chapter_04_2_Bucket_Car_Wash.aspx

·
Registered
557 Posts
I agree with Piggs! I just recently tried the peroxide/S-100 and it works pretty good. This combo did not work for all of the bugs on the front but worked well for the rest of the bike.

·
Registered
593 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Since you didnt mention the color only thing I would add is if you got a denim paint job they need treated differently , I know you can't wax them perhaps someone here with one will chime in with there cleaning procedure for denim paints.

Eagle

·
Registered
593 Posts
Soap and water is OK for denim, just no wax or polish. I wouldn't even use detail spray on it. Believe it or not, Harley actually recommends you maintain it with glass cleaner.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Adams does make some awesome products, been using it for years. First found them when they came out down at the corvette show in Carlise PA. He is an awesome guy with an awesome product

·
Registered
520 Posts
Since you didnt mention the color only thing I would add is if you got a denim paint job they need treated differently , I know you can't wax them perhaps someone here with one will chime in with there cleaning procedure for denim paints.

Eagle
denium here.. s100.. and blow dry. i still 'polish' the chrome.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Bikini bike wash night, which happens to be this evening, at the dealer...only way to go!:D At other times it gets the peroxide spray followed by micro fiber towels.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Washing the Road Glide

Hey to all, One of the best way I have found to "wash" the RGU.....Go to Walmart and by the Bio-degradable Boat wash. It's about $10.00. It's concentrate and you don't need much (couple of table spoons in a spray bottle and water) Spray on wash off..... Then pick up some PTF (don't remember what that stands for) Wax...Bass Pro/Outdoor World has it in the Boat wax/polishing area, again about $10.00

Got this cleaning/washing idea(s) from a guy who started out as a detailer for Mercedes and all I can say is it makes the bike shine and it last a long time.... Good luck, CSM-H

·
Registered
73 Posts
Black denim - for touch ups and "polish" for lack of a better word, I have always used non ammonia windex with a microfiber. For a full blown wash I just use concentrated auto wash, dry, hit the paint with the windex mentioned above and hit the chrome with chrome cleaner/polish. Ride it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
For minor cleanings I use Meguiar's quick detailer and a microfiber. For full blown washes I use car soap. Best bug stuff I have found is a rain-x gel in a blue bottle. Spray it on, wait a few mins, and wipes right off. I use Thunderbolt Polish for the "glass" and chrome, and Meguiar's spray wax for the paint.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have a vivid black RGC, I use Simple Green full strength concentrate. I spray it all over the bike hitting the areas that are hard to reach real hard. I use it all over the motor, hoses, frame, wheels, you name it I soak it all down. Then I let I let it sit for 10 minutes while I get my Eagle One Carnauba Wax Soap water ready. I hose it off and then begin washing. I use this Blue wash mitt with all the little round stringy things that hang off it. Without putting my hand in it, it works great for getting into places that my hands and a regular wash cloth wont get into. After a good rinsing I then start up my lawn blower and blow it all off and it looks better then it did coming off the show room floor. I love it.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Keep bike in house and never ride it - will keep it very clean.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts