Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am kicking it around this winter to go to Washington State and Oregon this coming summer. I will be camping at state parks, National parks. BLM. the cheapest way to go. I know some don't like camping but that is my thing. At some point I will like to camp on the beach.So far I did a list of some places that I would like to see in Washington and Oregon.

Washington State
Mt Rainer
Mt St Helens
Mt Hood
Boulder Cave Trail
Goldendale Observatory

Oregon
Hell Canyon
Crater Lake

would be heading out there after SW in Maine
:D

thanks for any imput.
Roy

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Give a shout once you're in the area. Mt Rainer and St Helens are day rides for me. Sure others may want to join if available.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I sure will. You know what happens when you plan that far out in future. lol

·
Registered
330 Posts
Roy,
Sounds like you are putting together a very nice and scenic trip! We live in Missoula, MT and did several of those spots early fall this year. Unfortunately, there was a lot of rain during our trip and we did not see some of the volcano/mountains you mention. However, plan on traversing along the Columbia River Gorge and you will visit a lot of them.
I used to live in Oregon but it has been a ton of years since I've visited Crater Lake area. It is also beautiful though!
I am assuming you use Google maps to set up your route?
What do you ride? Are you traveling alone?

Don

·
Registered
38 Posts
I highly recommend the north cascade loop. Highway 20 from the coast to the Canadian border at Osoyoos is some of the most beautiful scenery you will find. The road is great too.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Oh, and by the way, if your coming from NY across the top of the US or the bottom of Canada, by all means don't forget to visit and tour the Black Hills and Sturgis, Lead and Deadwood City area of South Dakota, then across and over the Bear Tooth pass/highway, Virginia City and Bannack in Montana.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Plus on Hiway 20, the North Cascades Highway. If you want you can catch it at I-5 at Sedro-Wooley and ride it over the mountains to Winthrop. Once there, you can head south towards Leavenworth and take Highway 2 back over to the west side. One of the best rides in the state.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I second the cascade loop. Did that last July. Absolutely gorgeous and a great windy road. It was cool even in July. Snow on the peaks. Might want to check out the Olympic loop too. I was running behind so I skipped the Olympic Loop. Next summer I'll do that.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Roy,
Sounds like you are putting together a very nice and scenic trip! We live in Missoula, MT and did several of those spots early fall this year. Unfortunately, there was a lot of rain during our trip and we did not see some of the volcano/mountains you mention. However, plan on traversing along the Columbia River Gorge and you will visit a lot of them.
I used to live in Oregon but it has been a ton of years since I've visited Crater Lake area. It is also beautiful though!
I am assuming you use Google maps to set up your route?
What do you ride? Are you traveling alone?

Don
Route 12 across Idaho from Missoula. BEST!!!! By all means, Columbia River Gorge... What is it, Route 30 (without checking).

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I did route 12 east to Lolo from Lewiston. It was fabulous. Then I took 200 back the other way to Spokane. I loved Idaho. Wide open spaces. If heading into Oregon check out Hell's Canyon.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Being mostly a "map guy" and we 2up everso for many many, then gps came along...nephew gave this to us as a "where havn't you been" a least twice..Ha ha...(besides Canada)..this is a very good logg of travels and a must if you don't keep (other than mental) notes:)

·
Registered
330 Posts
We are also mostly '2-up' ourselves and don't ride groups except on rare occasions.
I second (or third) the positives that a GPS would give you while trippin'. I use a less expensive Garmin Nuvi model and it is quite at home on the Road Glide. I especially enjoy mapping out our route or multiple route choices in the Nuvi using the Trip Planner in it. Makes it easier to find those camping spots that i find in Google Maps, and can send them directly to my Nuvi on the computer. Come travel day, I just choose the particular route we wish to ride that day!

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Frag-um...we do/done alot the same..guilty of some poor choices though, she don't complain much....few new faces/places less old ones'...we lone wolf mostly no ones packs to tent much:(

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just want to say thanks for all the replys. To bad there is not a way to list the states and then we could post good places to stop or road to ride..

just my 2 cents
roy:D

the salt trucks were out up by me the last couple of days so that means winter is breathing down our necks......:mad:

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Hope they 're using some kinds of Calicum Chloride and not that slippery spray gelinten -they tried out here 7yr back- @ Portland airport 9 riders went down...traced down and sued (ins co. did) all got new bikes but damage was done:( ride till they start throwing sand

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I am kicking it around this winter to go to Washington State and Oregon this coming summer. I will be camping at state parks, National parks. BLM. the cheapest way to go. I know some don't like camping but that is my thing. At some point I will like to camp on the beach.So far I did a list of some places that I would like to see in Washington and Oregon.

Washington State
Mt Rainer
Mt St Helens
Mt Hood
Boulder Cave Trail
Goldendale Observatory

Oregon
Hell Canyon
Crater Lake

would be heading out there after SW in Maine
:D

thanks for any imput.
Roy
"The Ball & Chain" and I rode out that way last August after Sturgis,

Have you ever been out that way before?

How much time do you have? That's your limiting factor until the weather turns cold

The reason that I ask, is that once you get to Western SD there is so much to see.

On your way out / back we highly recommend the Going to the Sun Road across Glacier Natl Park and/or Beartooth Pass to the Silver Gate of Yellowstone.

Check out Cougar, WA near Mt St Helens, Crater Lake and the coast highway from LongBeach, WA to Brookings OR. There are plenty of places to camp on / near the coast.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have been out west two years ago. We did Sturgis and some of the roads in that area. We went up to Glacier national park (road to the sun).
Mt Evans, Million $$ highway in Co. four corners. so many more that I cannot remember. There is so many roads that are nice. I would not care if I ride the same roads again. Right now I am thinking about 4 weeks on the road. That is not including Shark Week, Never been to Washington and Oregon, North Dakota or Minn. Mich, Wis. Texas, Ok, Miss. Ark. so thinking about making the loop home thru the south.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I have been out west two years ago. We did Sturgis and some of the roads in that area. We went up to Glacier national park (road to the sun).
Mt Evans, Million $$ highway in Co. four corners. so many more that I cannot remember. There is so many roads that are nice. I would not care if I ride the same roads again. Right now I am thinking about 4 weeks on the road. That is not including Shark Week, Never been to Washington and Oregon, North Dakota or Minn. Mich, Wis. Texas, Ok, Miss. Ark. so thinking about making the loop home thru the south.
Durango, CO and $,$$$,$$$ HWY was high on our list this year, the mudslides prevented that.

Beartooth Pass (Red Lodge) MT, Yellowstone, The OR coast, Crescent City, CA (Redwoods to the coast) Winona, Minn (riding along the upper Mississippi), Natchez Trace, MS are some suggestions...

You are right, there is so much out there ~ What a Great Country we live in!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts