1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Sorry to read this. Grass clippings - especially in a curve - are one of those things I watch out for. EXTREMELY slippery.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I live near where this happened. I read an article in the paper that said the lead rider, her husband, slowed down to flip off the guy who was mowing and she didn't slow down and ran into the rear of her husbands bike. Still a terrible thing but now sure the grass was the only issue.

·
Registered
318 Posts
This happens all the time. I cringe every time I see a homeowner discharging into the road. I just can’t comprehend why they think this is ok or advantageous for them. Not only are the clippings dangerous, but so are thrown objects from the mower.

I have been known to stop, not to yell and create an issue, but to educate. Most of the time they go, “oh, I never thought of that.”

To be taken out because of grass clippings is very sad. So many dangers out in this world.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
My place in PA the back yard is next to a 4 lane. The state dipshits waited until the 10' center was 2' tall. Completely covered both east bound lanes and it's a bend there. I called the local cops to report that danger. Cops ended up foing fast over it to get it off the road.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So sad to hear about this.:crying: I see it sometimes around my area. Fortunately, I have yet to get that experience of sliding on the grass clippings; don't want to either. I've been able to avoid it and go around.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I have a neighbor, who rides, that always blows his grass out into the street; thankfully we are in a small subdivision, no curves. I have thought about saying something numerous times but he's one of those "always knows more that me" and makes sure it's known to me; so I just shake my head and avoid him for the most part. Don't need the stress; besides, "ya can't fix stupid".

·
Registered
82 Posts
Corn and Soybeans

Years ago, I lived in Central Illinois.
Never saw lethal grass clippings, but I have skated across a half bushel of corn on one occasion and soybeans on another.
Harvest time created grain spills at many rural crossroads from grain bin traffic.
These will test your skills, and might require a change of underwear before it's over.
Nothing was as frightening as half a 24 row chisel plow swooping out over the road as a farmer makes a turn at the end of his field.
That is terrifying at 60 mph. After that, whenever I saw the dust cloud or diesel smoke of a tractor, I slowed down a bit and went towards the center of the road.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Years ago, I lived in Central Illinois.
Never saw lethal grass clippings, but I have skated across a half bushel of corn on one occasion and soybeans on another.
Harvest time created grain spills at many rural crossroads from grain bin traffic.
These will test your skills, and might require a change of underwear before it's over.
Nothing was as frightening as half a 24 row chisel plow swooping out over the road as a farmer makes a turn at the end of his field.
That is terrifying at 60 mph. After that, whenever I saw the dust cloud or diesel smoke of a tractor, I slowed down a bit and went towards the center of the road.
Of course in Florida you have watch for the accumulation of sugar sand at intersections since there are very few curvy roads. :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts