Road Glide banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
I knew those 3 little screws weren't going to keep you down!

Thanks for the update. Perhaps this is the cause for the ever so common failure?

Looks like from the pics you shared with me earlier tonight, the capacitor is a 220mF, but the voltage is unknown. (Did some research on YouTube and saw a video where the cap was obviously bad. Video was in Spanish I think?) I would think a voltage rating of at least 15-20 volts would be adequate, but you could go much larger on that rating, just never go less than what was there or the known operating voltage. Preferably give yourself a cushion zone, so at least 20 volts would be great if you were to replace it. The mF is the critical number in a cap rating.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I’m very interested in, for sure when the time to replace mine with the spare will come, I will try a repair of the old one as well.
The intention is to have always a spare on hand if possible

Anyhow..... it seems the famous slogan is still valid: Harley Davidson: turning riders into wrenchers since 1903 and I have to admit that I like to wrench my bikes as much as I like to ride them

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Pump arrived in the mail today, obsolescence mitigated with the spare in the bag for my approaching road trip from southern France to Cape North, Norway

·
Registered
365 Posts
It’s hard to do a detailed post with picture descriptions in TT on my phone...at least for me anyway :wink:

I created a google online album last night but was having trouble linking to them...then we went out to dinner...

·
Registered
380 Posts
I know for fact you can pull the power wire and ride a 103 indeffinatley to get repaired. I will clarify milage and if the m8 can do that

·
Registered
365 Posts
I know for fact you can pull the power wire and ride a 103 indeffinatley to get repaired. I will clarify milage and if the m8 can do that
Well maybe you can...but for me it was a 60* morning and I saw engine temps approaching 270* on the Power Vision display, see my first picture in the first post. I had the vents in the lowers ope too...I can't imagine what the head temps would be if it was 90* out.

What is a safe temp?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Well maybe you can...but for me it was a 60* morning and I saw engine temps approaching 270* on the Power Vision display, see my first picture in the first post. I had the vents in the lowers ope too...I can't imagine what the head temps would be if it was 90* out.

What is a safe temp?
Engine Temp Lamp is on at 266°F, I would consider a 10% safety buffer so it is 300°F a mechanical safety limit.

One thing I would consider also is that this temperature is an "oil killer", especially if it is mineral and if is in since a while. Maybe an anticipated oil change should be considered.......

·
Registered
365 Posts
Not sure what to say...I see that in my manual too, but it doesn't really say that is the trigger temp. I can positively say that my light came on at 230ish, I watch it several times while nursing the machine back home. I looked in the manual and could not find a different mention of this...or at what point the light is supposed to come on.

Go unplug your pump and take a ride to see for yourself :grin:
(just kidding)

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Could it be your combination of low coolant and high engine temps, maybe that combination sets off the check engine light and the temp. light? Just a guess on my part

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
No clue...but I was NOT low on coolant, the level was perfect.
I meant the low coolant temp, I think you stated 60? Along with a high temp on the engine. They may have programmed a differential limit?

·
Registered
66 Posts
My pump failed at a bit over 15K miles while halfway across the country in Colorado. Dealer told me I could ride it home as long as I kept the bike moving and didn't sit in hot traffic. She pinged more than usual but otherwise ran fine. I recently replaced it myself, so far so good.

The dealer explained to me that in the case of pump failure the computer lights up the engine overheat indicator as a warning for low to no coolant flow, it doesn't necessarily mean the engine is actually overheating. This is why both the CE and OH lights come on simultaneously, even if the bike isn't any hotter than normal.

These pumps are junk. Just the other day I saw another RGU up at my local dealer waiting for a new pump, but they are having trouble getting them in stock. Like noted in this thread, the pump has been obsoleted, and there currently isn't a replacement P/N available.

Could get real ugly if they don't come out with a new pump very soon, because these things do not last.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts