Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here have any experience with a clear waterproof magnetic mount for an iPhone? I would like to use my iPhone for GPS and music occasionally and would like to get something good.
Thanks,

Kudu40

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I have a lifeproof case on my iPhone and I converted the belt clip into a mount that attached to my iron aces mount. You could use a rider claw of sorts as well, but when the cable is attached there nothing is 100% waterproof.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Jsut leave the damn phone at home on the dresser, won't get wet there.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Another vote for the LifeProof case. I used the belt clip. Took the belt attachment off, attached a Ram Mount diamond base to it, and use the clutch perch mount. Hundreds of miles in the rain last summer without a problem, even with the charging cable attached.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
+1 on the Lifeproof! I use the Kury mount that mounts to the switch housing screws (2) on the left handlebar. Also I have a (boat) dual USB charging plug in the left glove box. 'Works Great!

·
Registered
852 Posts
++ on LifeProof, I whitewater kayak with phone in my PFD and never had a problem. LifeProof also sells a handlebar mount. I have one but don't use it anymore, may sell it, but it was like $25 so I will probably just keep it. I have an uninstalled iron ace mount that I got for my zumo, I also got the claw thing from IA for the phone when GPS not mounted. I have a quick disconnect waterproof connector behind speedo for pluging GPS or phone in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Lifeproof.... nothing else is even an option. I have an i5 with one, use it on the bike (handlebar mount) and it has gone swimming off the boat (Lake Winnipesaukee) several times! never an issue!

BigwaterJim.... How do you like the Iron Aces mount? I want to get one. I am going to bastardize a Lifeproof car mount and a Ram mount to attach the i5 with the lifeproof.

I am def looking for ideas on how to run the power cables... do you have a pic of that quick disconnect?

thanks!

Woodsy

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I usually leave the damn phone home but I'm making a trip where the GPS will come in handy navigating around Baltimore and Washington side streets.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I am using the following parts for iron aces to life proof belt clip mount.

RAP-SB-238U RAM DIAMOND BASE WITH MALE SNAP LINK
RAP-SB-275-45U RAM DIAMOND BASE WITH 45 FEM SNAP LINK

I attach the male side to the belt clip and the female side to the iron aces mount. As for wiring right now I use a simple USB plug in the lighter, but next time my fairing is off I'll be installing an auxiliary power connector inside the fairing which will connect to the aux switch for power. Then I'll use a grommet in an existing hole in the gauge nacelle to run the lightning cable through. When I'm not using the phone on the bike I'll just tuck the cable out of site. If I didn't have an ipod in the saddle bag or I'd be going with the iSimple kit from iron aces for sound and power.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I only use mine for music and the occasional call from the wife. It stays in the glove box and is plugged into the cig lighter. It can be used for GPS also via bluetooth to my helmet but I like getting lost. :D

·
Registered
614 Posts
I also use a Iron Aces mount with SlipGrip mount and Lifeproof case, never had a problem.

For power instead of spending the $ for the ISimple cable there are plenty of cables on Ebay like the I Simple that have the single connector to the lightning plug and then Y to a USB and a AUX for the radio input, this makes 1 connector to the phone and does not require the headphone jack to be exposed (like this one
)

·
Registered
623 Posts
Believe it or not I've rode across country on my last 2 road glides using the iron aces mount and my iPhone. I have rode in torrential rain and the only thing I've done is used a small size zipper type sandwich bag over the phone. It still snaps into the holder without any issue and I just put the connector inside the bag and zip it up fairly snug around the cable.

I also bought the ram mount with the aqua box but with the sandwich bags working so well I've never used it

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've been using the lifeproof with the handlebar mount. Although with stock bars it kinda sucks. Once I switched the bars it fit much better. Another nice thing about it is you can snap a quick picture since the handlebar mount allows pics to be taken without removing the phone.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
23 Posts
I went with the IronAces mount, with an Arkon Amps ball mount and a Techmount Lifeproof Cradle! Works AWESOME! No worries at all about rain! I ran a BuyBits power cord under the tank from the battery. The Standard Lifeproof phone mount doesn't fit with my 1.5" Buky's....

Woodsy

·
Registered
493 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
DJT...

Absolutely! Its a pretty cool setup!

Woodsy

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I have a lifeproof case on my iPhone and I converted the belt clip into a mount that attached to my iron aces mount. You could use a rider claw of sorts as well, but when the cable is attached there nothing is 100% waterproof.
Thanks for the idea I just converted mine to do the same. Now this is one of the best things I have done because it didn't cost me any more money. Already had the stuff. :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
How did you run the lightning plug through the belt clip? My holder covers the female plug.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts