Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have searched and searched for wax recommendations and haven't found any. So, what is everyone using to keep their baby looking good and protected?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Harley-Davidson Poly Glaze

Also i use megulairs waterless wash and wax, after washing with Harley-Davidson Sun wax or megUlairs wash and wax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,336 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
How about a wax that is easy to apply for the non-professional?
i've always used malm's carnauba wax, but if you read the thread, wax has static properties that draw dirt and dust.
it goes on easy and dries clear so you have no white residual wax to futz with.
it has last longer than any other "easy" wax i've found.

Shop Homepage - Start Bootstrap Template

the sealants and new nano polishes have really changed the game. it's worth a read...

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
I use either Zymol or liquid Turtle wax, and honestly if they were gone I would use just about any liquid easy on, easy off wax. I wax my bike once maybe twice a year and find it to be sufficient. When I wash I use S2000 rinse, then car wash and a mitt and rinse, blow it off with the compresser and take a soft towel to whats left. Lately in between washes I have been using 3M Quik Wax spray detailer with great results.

I kind of gave up on the unicorn waxes and all the extra time involved. I have good enough luck with the above, it has worked for me for 6 years.

My bike is either being ridden or in the garage. It does not sit outside in the elements and I think that can be a big factor in how your bike holds up to the elements and the sun.

My .02

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
My best advice is use a sealer synthetic style wax last way longer than any carnuba based wax and brings out metallic hues much better, I only use synthetic wax, no streaking on black rubber or plastic parts, I love liquid ice wax, also meguiars ultimate which is synthetic as well, and griots one step sealant, they also don't give off all the dust associated with carnuba based waxes, hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Im not a fan of wax, unless its a garage queen. In FL, we have tons of pollen. Add on dust and whatever else is blowing around. Wax is a dust magnet and everything sticks to it. It doesn't last long at all here in FL.
With that said, I have Fuzion and Souvernan. Both easy to work with. Souvernan looks a little deeper, Fuzion a little more "Glassy"

One thing to remember about any LSP: The LSP can "Enhance" the look some. Nobody can look and say "I know what wax is on the paint because of how it looks". Also, If the paint has swirls and RIDS in it, the paint will still have them with wax on it. Kind of like putting lip stick on a pig, its still a pig.

Beautiful paint comes from polishing to as close to perfection as you can get. To get there it takes the proper equipment, technique and products.

I always recommend a sealant over a wax to my customers, Wolfgang, BlackFire, 4Star, Ultima are the ones I use. For my customers that want more than that its a paint coating.

Ive attached a picture, I hope, Of a camaro I did recently. Anyone want to guess what LSP is on the paint? There is no wax, sealant, or coating on the paint in that picture. Compounding and polishing is how you get paint to look 5ft deep and wet

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
Im not a fan of wax, unless its a garage queen. In FL, we have tons of pollen. Add on dust and whatever else is blowing around. Wax is a dust magnet and everything sticks to it. It doesn't last long at all here in FL.
With that said, I have Fuzion and Souvernan. Both easy to work with. Souvernan looks a little deeper, Fuzion a little more "Glassy"

One thing to remember about any LSP: The LSP can "Enhance" the look some. Nobody can look and say "I know what wax is on the paint because of how it looks". Also, If the paint has swirls and RIDS in it, the paint will still have them with wax on it. Kind of like putting lip stick on a pig, its still a pig.

Beautiful paint comes from polishing to as close to perfection as you can get. To get there it takes the proper equipment, technique and products.

I always recommend a sealant over a wax to my customers, Wolfgang, BlackFire, 4Star, Ultima are the ones I use. For my customers that want more than that its a paint coating.
I took your advise this spring and did the Ultima sealant....LOVE it, my WAX days are done

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I took your advise this spring and did the Ultima sealant....LOVE it, my WAX days are done
Awesome man. Glad it worked out for you!

·
Super Moderator
9,671 Posts
Awesome man. Glad it worked out for you!
you kinda oughter make a thread with the steps you go through on a pro detail , with some good options that you use at each step , you kinda did in another thread and meant to say this then and forgot .. I would do it if I knew what to use at each level from start to finish . I looked at some of the brands you mentioned in that thread and some had kits put together with the cleaners and sealers all included ..

When you use a sealer , is it easier to clean and does in keep a deep shine for a long period of time or do you have to periodically re treat it with something ??

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
you kinda oughter make a thread with the steps you go through on a pro detail , with some good options that you use at each step , you kinda did in another thread and meant to say this then and forgot .. I would do it if I knew what to use at each level from start to finish . I looked at some of the brands you mentioned in that thread and some had kits put together with the cleaners and sealers all included ..

When you use a sealer , is it easier to clean and does in keep a deep shine for a long period of time or do you have to periodically re treat it with something ??
Sealants last longer then wax generally. In Fl, you could see 3-5 months on a car that is outside 24/7. Sealants generally stay cleaner longer then wax. Sealants are super slick also.

For compounds right now I use Menzerna FG400 or 3D Cut. With all the different pads I have, I can alter the cut some to get what I am looking for. For polishes, I have a lot of them. I sort of let the paint show me what I need to use to get the result Im looking for in a timely manner.
The paint on my bike finishes down great with 3D polish, CarPro Reflect, and Menzerna 4500. 4500 has very little cut, but with the right pad, on my paint, it works great.
The Wolgang kit for example would work great for the DIY guy on just about any paint. Their compound and finishing glaze "its a polish) are made by Menzerna, top notch stuff. With all of that said, right pad and machine combined with the Wolfgang duo, you have the tools to get great results.

Ill list the steps I do when I do a vehicle. This starts after wheels and wells are done
1. wash/partial dry with leaf blower 2. IronX/ rinse thoroughly 3. Baggy test to see if it needs to be clayed 4. Dry 5. Test spot to see what I need to use to get the results Im looking for. 6. Compound if necessary/polish out 7. Wipe down paint with Eraser to inspect results and to prep paint for LSP. Apply LSP

This is just how I do it. Some people may add or remove some steps.
There is a lot that goes on when detailing a car/truck/bike. Lot more then washing and throwing some wax at it and calling it "Detailed".

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
So true, well said,I am slowly getting to learn real detailing like you speak of, most people don't realize how much there is to learn with it and paint correction. Thanks for the info as well.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Sealants last longer then wax generally. In Fl, you could see 3-5 months on a car that is outside 24/7. Sealants generally stay cleaner longer then wax. Sealants are super slick also.

This is just how I do it. Some people may add or remove some steps.
There is a lot that goes on when detailing a car/truck/bike. Lot more then washing and throwing some wax at it and calling it "Detailed".
hey @phillyfan1 i just had my bike detailed and the guy used xtreme nano ceramic. seems like it "creates" a lot of static. is that normal?

took a look at it last night at sundown when the light was just right and man, it really pops!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts