Road Glide banner
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

· Administrator
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Community Members,

We are excited to announce that we are live on our new forum platform! We’ve worked hard over the past few months with a leading design and product firm to deliver a cleaner, faster and more engaging experience for you. Our goal is to provide modern design and technology to make the site run faster, smoother and more reliably. All of the valuable content within the community is still here, even though the layout may look different.

A Consistent Experience Across All Devices
The site is optimized for all screen sizes, including mobile. All features are available and ready to use on all devices.

Speed and Reliability Are Key
No one should have to wait for information. This site has been built to be much faster and more reliable, period.

New Homepage Experience
Your home page now features the most active forums, trending discussions, featured showcases, and top contributing members. This will help keep you up to date on what’s happening in your community and eventually become a very personalized experience for our members with all the great content you love surfaced effortlessly for you.

Search
We have introduced new search algorithms, powered by an industry-leading AI platform, that will help you find information faster. We plan to roll out new features to continue improving search, and to power many additional areas of the forum.

Due to the volume of content, our search platform may take some time to complete indexing. During this process, you may see a limited number of posts until indexing has been completed. We appreciate your patience.

Easy to Use and Navigate
We have made the design clean and simple to use. Near the upper right-hand corner of the community, you will see navigation icons.

The first icon is for what’s new on the site.

Clicking on it, by default, will take you to new unread posts. On that page, you can click on additional tabs as well, such as Popular, if you prefer to view active topics.

Clicking the list icon next to “NEW” will bring you to the full forum listing.

You can also navigate by clicking the 3 vertical dots.

Clicking on your avatar will give you a drop-down menu for all things related to your account.

Dark Mode
We have introduced Dark Mode. One of our favorite features allows you to access the site with a power-saving, and easier on the eyes dark mode. You can access it in the drop-down menu under the 3 vertical dots.

Bookmarks
Now you can bookmark your favorite discussions! Bookmarks are a handy way to remember and easily find great content or stuff you want to read later.

We also wanted to make it easier for new users to understand the lingo of forums. We have cleaned up various language to more commonly recognized phrases including:
  • Following - Thread subscriptions, and Watched are now known as Following
  • Conversations – Private Messages or PMs are now conversations and can be accessed from the user avatar drop-down in the main navigation
  • Showcase – Showcase is designed for users to "showcase" items/projects through the use of uploaded images, text descriptions and custom content categories. It’s a way to visually and textually provide detailed information on the content you wish to share. The showcase would be similar to a catalog, whereas the gallery would be like a photo album. It can be accessed from the drop-down menu with the 3 dots.
These are just a few of the great new functions and features to try on the site. Take a tour and look around! If you have any questions, please check out the HELP section for some quick FAQs about the new platform, Help Section

Please let us know what you think about the new experience, your feedback is important to us.

Thank you all for your support during this amazing journey!

· Administrator
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I will be here during your transition to the new platform, to help with any questions, help with navigation or how to do things, and to listen to your feedback so please don't hesitate to holler at me. I want to help.

I do want to take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Cricket. When I was born, my father told his friends I was the ugliest baby he had ever seen, and that I sounded just like a cricket (yes, the insect) so I have been Cricket for 58 years now. I live just outside of San Antonio, Texas and spend most of my off time out in nature. I spend my vacation, in the fall, hiking and camping.

I have worked with VerticalScope for 5 years now. I won't always know the answers to your questions, but I can find someone who does, as needed. ;)

- Cricket

· Administrator
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please don't be afraid to explore and test out things to see how they work on the site.

Although you can certainly use the "insert image" icon to upload an image to your post, you can also just drag and drop it to the text editor or even copy/paste it into there!

(I took this photo camp here in Texas.)

You can easily share videos just by adding the URL directly into the text editor!

Gif links from sites like giphy.com will display automatically just by adding the gif URL directly in the text editor. Try it!
I am also a huge fan of the dark mode for the community. What is your favorite feature?

I will be here to answer questions and to help you navigate, as needed. :)

- Cricket

· Registered
3,703 Posts
Just went through a thread I started a couple of days ago to see how things changed; curiosity. Only thing I noticed was the "smiles" were not the actual pics but the word related to the pic; will those update eventually? No biggie; again just curious.

Reactions: MCAdmin

· Administrator
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just went through a thread I started a couple of days ago to see how things changed; curiosity. Only thing I noticed was the "smiles" were not the actual pics but the word related to the pic; will those update eventually? No biggie; again just curious.
We currently use standard UTF-8 smilies. This helps greatly in keeping things fast loading and standardized across device types. We no longer run custom GIF files for every single smile which is terrible for web performance, and fast-loading websites.

- Cricket

· Administrator
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
5,318 Posts
This looks exactly like ClubFrontier, which I am an Admin on. It took me a while to embrace the new lay-out, but I got the hang of it and appreciate how fast it is now.

One thing that was brought up over there and I see has transferred over to this Xenforo \based forum, were Users asking to have their location listed below their names. Yes, you can see that information (if someone chooses to list it), by hovering over their avatar, but I think many users are used to be able to see where someone lives and sometimes that will assist with an appropriate location-based response.

· Administrator
5,318 Posts
I was messing around in the Showcase, the new fields do not match the previous ones all that well, I needed to edit all the info. I could not figure out how to add pictures to the Gallery, though. Suggestions, please?

· Registered
8,388 Posts
Finding my way around, seems pretty good so far. I do have one question so far. On the old site, after I posted to a thread, it would put a check by that post to show I posted a comment. Maybe I have missed it, but how do I know that I posted in a thread on this new format?
Thanks

· Registered
3,616 Posts
Finding my way around, seems pretty good so far. I do have one question so far. On the old site, after I posted to a thread, it would put a check by that post to show I posted a comment. Maybe I have missed it, but how do I know that I posted in a thread on this new format?
Thanks
You can go to the "Participated Discussions " link - https://www.roadglide.org/watched/participated-discussions

Thats a list of all threads you've posted in, from newest to oldest (IOW newest updated from anyone, including you)

· Administrator
5,318 Posts
OKay being an admin , in the upper left corner I have a thing that says approval q or something like that with 45 items ,, whats that about

JtB
Welcome to the Approval Queue hell. Lol. I wondered the first time I saw that on the other forum I admin. Some of those may be suspected spam first posts. Depending on how the Administrator sets up approvals in the background, they may auto load after a period of time, or you may need to approve, clean, or disapprove each one individually. Ohg - you can also assign them to other Mods to complete. lol

· Administrator
5,318 Posts
Thanks
When you go to the forum listings of all the threads, there will be an 'eye' icon that shows up under the thread title and next to the page numbers in the thread - that indicates that you have posted in that thread prior.

· Registered
8,388 Posts
I see I did not do a very good job of posting my earlier question, sorry about that. I will try again:

On the old format, when I posted to a thread it would put a check by that thread. When logging out and back in, than let’s say clicking on the “new post threads”, that given thread would still have a check by it to show I had posted in it. This really helped when reading and posting for new member introduction thread.

I am looking at an easy way when selecting the new post tab to see I have already posted to it. Really helpful on new member introduction threads and other threads as well.

Reactions: ChromeSpark

· Registered
8,388 Posts
When you go to the forum listings of all the threads, there will be an 'eye' icon that shows up under the thread title and next to the page numbers in the thread - that indicates that you have posted in that thread prior.
Thanks for the input, I see that.

· Administrator
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was messing around in the Showcase, the new fields do not match the previous ones all that well, I needed to edit all the info. I could not figure out how to add pictures to the Gallery, though. Suggestions, please?
Can you clarify more for me? Are you trying to add images to your Gallery (photo album) or are you trying to add them to your Showcase?

So far I like it. Just trying to get oriented, but I've been able to find most of the things I was doing before. And thanks for offering/preserving the dark option!
Let us know if there is anything we can help you find.

I see I did not do a very good job of posting my earlier question, sorry about that. I will try again:

On the old format, when I posted to a thread it would put a check by that thread. When logging out and back in, than let’s say clicking on the “new post threads”, that given thread would still have a check by it to show I had posted in it. This really helped when reading and posting for new member introduction thread.

I am looking at an easy way when selecting the new post tab to see I have already posted to it. Really helpful on new member introduction threads and other threads as well.
It may take a few days to catch up on the new platform, but depending on your preference settings, you will see an indicator.

Step One: Check your preference settings by clicking on your account settings under your avatar near the upper right hand side of the community.

That will bring you to a new page with some left-side navigation. Select preferences.

Step 2: Make sure you have a checkmark in "Automatically watch content you interact with" and then click save.

Step 3: Now when you check popular or new posts you will see an "eye" under the title area.

It will also show on the thread list within a forum section.

Try it and let me know if it works for you.

- Cricket

· Administrator
5,318 Posts
Can you clarify more for me? Are you trying to add images to your Gallery (photo album) or are you trying to add them to your Showcase?
I think I figured out what I was looking for, though it doesn't necessarily add up. In Showcase, I can only have one picture. At the bottom of the Showcase page it shows your Gallery. I was trying to add pics there, but could not; you need to go to Gallery under the three dot menu item. From there, I clicked on 'You Media', and it comes up with nothing, though I do have three pics showing in my Gallery on the Showcase page. A glitch in the system.

I can't seem to get multi quote to work properly.

· Administrator
5,318 Posts

After you click the New circular button, it shows the list of new threads. At the top, there is a Filters drop down tab - click on that and from there you can change the Filter to be just the threads you have posted into.

· The Greatest Moderator on The Internet
13,045 Posts
It took me a while to get used to the last change that happened so I am guessing it will be the same way with the latest one.
It's not terribly bad but I'm very "Old School" "If it ain't broke why fix it!"
Time will tell.
I can only hope that it will work out for the best.
Mike U.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.