Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I would like to say how thankful i am to have joined the Road Glide community. This is my first H-D and I knew right away this was the model I wanted. I have been riding for over 17 years, but stuck to rockets, and this was the best choice i've ever made.

Now for my issue:
08 Road Glide - 37,000 miles

Today I noticed an issue which all 3 times happened in the same situation. I had come to a stop, began accelerating, then opened it up to feel it out. On all 3 occasions, the bike suddenly stopped wanting to go faster, even with full throttle applied, it was barely revving just enough to barely more. Pulling over, turning off, then restarting solved the problem, but now I want to find the root cause to have it gone. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I could not find anything online because i could not desciribe properly in search haha. Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
So the engine didn't rev, like the clutch was slipping? It doesn't sound like it, just wanting to clarify.

Did you feel any difference in the tension on the throttle?

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
Sounds like your bike was in limp mode. When the bike detects a problem, it can go into limp mode. Check for trouble codes. Turning bike off and back on resets limp mode , but it will come back.

·
Registered
88 Posts
There was a recall/service bulletin issued for 2008 fuel pump/fuel filter housing cracks on touring models. HD fixed the problem on later VIN numbers. They were were replacing the fuel pump housings under the recall. Go to the HD website and plug in your VIN to see if yours is affected.
One test I've heard of : Have the fuel tank 1/8 to 1/4 full....With the ignition off....take off the gas cap....look inside the tank with a flashlight....turn the ignition on and look for fuel spraying in the tank. This could indicate a cracked fuel pump/filter housing.
Just a thought.....PS Don't use a match....LOL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL thakns for the heads up with the match...and thanks everyone for the advice. I will check the H-D website about the recalll....and to answer the first question, tension on the throttle was the same, it was almost like a slipping clutch feel, but i could feel it moving (putting along) just wouldnt' go past like 3k rpms or less

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now that i knew what it was called lol, i checked the codes and came up with both P1511 and P2101, now i'm researching that to see what the steps should be..

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Those codes are EFI Power Management Mode and Throttle Position Sensor. A quick google search told me it has happened to others and it was related to the ECM. Apparently there was a download that fixed the issue.

·
Registered
374 Posts
LOL thakns for the heads up with the match...and thanks everyone for the advice. I will check the H-D website about the recalll....and to answer the first question, tension on the throttle was the same, it was almost like a slipping clutch feel, but i could feel it moving (putting along) just wouldnt' go past like 3k rpms or less
P1511 EFI Power Management Mode
P2101 EFI Motor Circuit Range Performance (Actuation Error)

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Those codes are EFI Power Management Mode and Throttle Position Sensor. A quick google search told me it has happened to others and it was related to the ECM. Apparently there was a download that fixed the issue.
If memory serves me correctly, the 08 had a problem with the ECM remembering your last throttle position when it was turned off. Sometime resulting in a high idle situation for several start stop cycles. A down load fixed that.

The TPS was also a weak link in 08. I replaces 3 under warranty.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
The 08 had a history of going into limp mode which is when the bikes ECM detects a problem and limits the engine RPM to 2000 rpm or less which is just enough to get you to a safe place such as a parking lot.
The 08 never had a TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) problem, the 08 had a TCA (Throttle Control Actuator) problem. If you look in the troubleshooting section on this forum there is info on these problems.
The fix for the 08 and 10 models was to apply dielectric grease on the TCA connector which is located at the rear of the throttle body with a molex pin replacement being the more permanent repair which HD did on the 2011 and later models.
If your bike is going into limp mode then clear the DTC's and apply Dielectric grease on the TCA plug and everything should be good, then make a appointment at the HD dealer to have the 2011 molex pins installed on the TCA plug.

Reactions: RGKen

·
Registered
852 Posts
If it feels like the bike is suddenly losing power when you are gripping and ripping (near redline) and shifting hard then seems like the motor comes back after a letting off for a couple of seconds then the ecm is detecting an over rev combination with the clutch in and is shutting down the motor for a second. You can run to redline just don't shift right there. My 2009 SG did that. Nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WOW, thanks again everyone. I'm working through the issues and research and will be keeping you all updated. I already love this forum! haha. Tons of info in such a short time, :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Soooo....
So i applied the dielectric grease to the cable to the throttle body today (made sure it was only lightly in the female connectors so no cross contact), went to start my bike, there was a hesitation and then ABSOLUTELY NO POWER :-( checked and replaced maxi amd all other fuses and nothing. What could have fried?

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Soooo....
So i applied the dielectric grease to the cable to the throttle body today (made sure it was only lightly in the female connectors so no cross contact), went to start my bike, there was a hesitation and then ABSOLUTELY NO POWER :-( checked and replaced maxi amd all other fuses and nothing. What could have fried?
Check to make sure the plug is in securely you should hear a click when the plug seat in correctly.
There has also be instances where the wires at the TCA plug can get brittle and break so check the wires, if this happens the replacing the molex pins are the only repair.
The TCA motor can go bad or the plastic gears can strip inside the
TCA, the gears usually strip when someone does a compression test and force open the butterfly in the throttle body without disconnecting the TCA plug first.
With the air filter off turn on the bikes ignition and see if the butterfly moves if it moves then chances are everything is good in the TCA.
Check your DTC and clear them sometimes the DTCs will prevent the TCA from functioning properly.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The TCA motor can go bad or the plastic gears can strip inside the
TCA, the gears usually strip when someone does a compression test and force open the butterfly in the throttle body without disconnecting the TCA plug first.
Huh! So my bike went into limp mode last week. Turns out that 2 or 3 of the plastic gears stripped inside the TCA. Guess who had a compression test done recently?

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Huh! So my bike went into limp mode last week. Turns out that 2 or 3 of the plastic gears stripped inside the TCA. Guess who had a compression test done recently?
Bummer the only way to fix the TCA is to install a new throttle body because the TCA is not a serviceable item.
Any time you need to open the butterfly in the throttle body and you turn on the ignition you need to remove the TCA plug from the TCA to insure that the gears in the TCA don't strip.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts