Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the subject says, my engine will die outta nowhere while I’m doing 80-90 MPH on my morning commute. Like all of a sudden, no engine. Lights? Check. Stereo? Check. Engine? No dice.

So, clutch in, engine switch off, then back to on, press the start button, and it fires up again. Kick down to fourth, rev to about 4000, dump the clutch, and I’m off.

I’ve checked for any trouble codes, and I get nothing. Weird, right?

This morning was the third time it’s happened in the last six or eight months.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Just like the subject says, my engine will die outta nowhere while I’m doing 80-90 MPH on my morning commute. Like all of a sudden, no engine. Lights? Check. Stereo? Check. Engine? No dice.

So, clutch in, engine switch off, then back to on, press the start button, and it fires up again. Kick down to fourth, rev to about 4000, dump the clutch, and I’m off.

I’ve checked for any trouble codes, and I get nothing. Weird, right?

This morning was the third time it’s happened in the last six or eight months.

Any ideas?
Hook a scan tool up to it and see if there are any codes that it shows. If not, create a code and make sure the ecm will report it.

Past that, its hard to say. And not knowing what you ride limits the guesses that can be made. Dies without setting codes, might indicate a sudden loss of fuel supply. But that's just a guess. Could also be a KOEO issue with the switch or main relay.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2012 CVO and what it ended up being was a chaffed wire coming from the run/stop switch. I had installed a Hell's Foundry hidden inner fairing bracket and I had the plug from the bars to the main harness lying over the bracket. The bracket had a sharp edge and over time wore through the gray wire and would ground out on the metal and blow the ECM power fuse(I believe that was the fuse). You could also have a chaffed wire and not be blowing a fuse but it could just be touching randomly and causing the bike to shut off.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I am no expert but I think I remember reading here that someone else had a similar problem and he found out it was the sumping issue. You didn't mention the year of your bike or if you had any upgrades. Stage 3 or 4? Again, I am only remembering a post. I have no expertise.

·
Registered
20 Posts
you got a pinched wire somewhere
check the wiring at the handle bars first, if the fairing has been off check the harness is not rubbing on the mounting bracket for the fairing .

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
It would be nice if you would provide us with a little more info, year of the bike and mods would help a lot because there has been a lot of changes HD has made in the last 10 years or so.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, guys, for all of your responses. It’s been a while since I’ve posted on this site, and didn’t realize that my bike’s info, which used to be in my signature, is now gone:

13 FLTRX, BBP, Vivid Black painted inner fairing, 9" Windsplitter, 14" W1 Chubbys, Get-A-Grips, Daymakers, ABS, Cruise, Security, 4 Speaker HW/Jensen HD1BT System, Fuel Moto Jackpot Header/Nightstick Exhaust, Powervision, Fueling 543 cams (95HP/104TQ).

I’ll have a look at the wires. It’s supposed to rain tomorrow into Saturday, so no big deal...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Weird. It all showed up again, but not in my original post. Well, that’s a separate issue for another day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts