Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just still can't believe I did this. My IQ has flared up on me again!

I pulled into the garage, rolled the bike forward and backward looking for my valve stems to check tire pressure, couldn't see them, put it in gear, shut it off, got off . . . and tried my best to catch it as it went down! Remembering to put the kickstand down makes such a difference.

I held as much weight as I could until my son & I got it up. Not too bad - two little brushes on the bottom of the left saddlebag, a dime sized brush on the bottom of the left exhaust, and the left highway peg was pressed into the lower fairing. The bottom of the front crash bar looks fine, but the top looks to me like the top of the left lower fairing might be pushed in about 1/4 inch.

Just can't believe it. Guess I'll order the saddlebag guards tomorrow.

Any sympathy appreciated!

·
Registered
639 Posts

I pulled into the garage, rolled the bike forward and backward looking for my valve stems to check tire pressure, couldn't see them, put it in gear, shut it off, got off . . . and tried my best to catch it as it went down! Remembering to put the kickstand down makes such a difference.

I held as much weight as I could until my son & I got it up. Not too bad - two little brushes on the bottom of the left saddlebag, a dime sized brush on the bottom of the left exhaust, and the left highway peg was pressed into the lower fairing. The bottom of the front crash bar looks fine, but the top looks to me like the top of the left lower fairing might be pushed in about 1/4 inch.

Imagine this - me on Run for the Wall 2014. Pulled into a gas stop with the other 300 bikes, trans in neutral, pop the gas cap, go to set the bike over on the kickstand so I can gas up and realize after a few degrees tilt that I forgot to put the kickstand down.

Another guy ran up to help me and laughed and said he did it a couple days before. Hence the reason I put saddlebag guards on mine soon after purchase. It's not if . . . .

·
Registered
380 Posts

Oh man, I feel your pain, and so does your body. These things are heavy. I did it at work, parked on a hill.-Yes, I knew better than that. I thought I heard something, leaned forward and down to the left, and the bike went over. gently, but it still went over. A little embarassing.:D

·
Administrator
12,657 Posts
On my last bike I pulled into the garage and was actually half way off the bike before I realized that I forgot to put the stand down, the bike seemed to fall in slow motion, and I was the only one home, oh, and did I mention that the floor was slippery due to the fact it was raining. ........ after I got the bike back up, I took a shower and went to bed, I was tired, lol.

·
Registered
164 Posts
There are only two types of riders.....those who have, and those who will, drop their bikes.

H

:D

·
Registered
462 Posts
Remember when you had to (remember to) turn the gas petcock on before taking off? Wife and I on the bike turning thru a busy intersection when the gas cut off and over we went. That was on my AMF Harley - not a heavy bike but with the wife and being in a leaned-over position, no way to hold it up. Ah well.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Been there done that and it does beat you up both mentally and physically.:(

·
Registered
7,392 Posts
I have done that more than once.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I did the same thing, only mine brushed the wall as it went down. Bruised leg and ego...

Now for the good news, my insurance covered it. Since I am a DIYer, I pocketed the money and did a bunch of mods. All of my scratches and what not buffed out, where the insurance company wanted to replace all parts. So I would up with nearly 8G

·
Registered
575 Posts
I've never done that, but for a while had the opposite problem. Don't know how many times I've taken off with the kickstand still down just to remember as I heard a scraping sound as soon as I leaned to the left.:confused:

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the therapy. Somehow it does make you feel better to hear the other stories.

I am going to order saddlebag guards today. Guess I'll search here to see if any big advantages between the standard or shorter version of them.

I really hope this is out of my system and the new guards are a waste!

Ron

·
Registered
605 Posts
Took an advanced rider class with the local HOG chapter and dropped mine in the middle of the class, pulled in the clutch when I should have given it gas, talk about embarrassed, like you said the bike goes over in slow motion.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I forgot the kickstand on my Roadglide when parking in front of a local watering hole! I had a sizable audience and since it wasn't a traditional "biker bar" no help getting upright again! I look at dropping your machine as just another merit badge along the way.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
I had the saddlebag guards put on when I bought the bike new and they are worth every penny IMO.
We all tip the bike over at one time or another, it will make you remember to look down to see if the jiffy stand is deployed correctly from now on. ;)

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Thanks for the therapy. Somehow it does make you feel better to hear the other stories.

I am going to order saddlebag guards today. Guess I'll search here to see if any big advantages between the standard or shorter version of them.

I really hope this is out of my system and the new guards are a waste!

Ron
I got the standard version after I dropped mine before I realized they had the shorter version. The shorter version looks good but before I went to Utah in '13 I bought the leather holders that have a water bottle as well as some storage and have grown to really like them so glad I went standard after-all.

Naturally check with PcPain, he can save you some bucks as well as great customer service. My first set had some minor chrome problems and he couldn't replace them fast enough. Great guy to deal with!

·
Registered
906 Posts
I feel your pain Ron - Been there done that. Glad I had put the Saddle bag guards on before the event. I went with the standard ones just to make it easier for me to use the guards in lifting the bike back up when I did drop it. When I dropped it was crossing an algae covered underwater stream roadway in Utah. That algae is slicker than - well I don't know cause its SLICK. Anyways, back end slid out from under me, went down on the left side. The to add insult to injury, when I went to lift it back up my feet slipped on the algae - dropped the bike again and I ended up flat on my back in the water. Point being - the only damage were scrape marks were on the guards, a bruised backside and ego.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I feel your pain....I was adjusting my headlights at work and forgot to put the jiffy stand down and like everyone has said...slow motion and completely on its side. took 2 of us to pick it back up. At that moment is when I missed my goldwing....they have great bars from the factory.

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Everybody busts their cherry sooner or later.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts