Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently turned 55 and thought it wouldn't be a bad time to think about wearing a helmet, so I went out and bought me a Shoei Neotech II and I love it. No glasses vibrating, no wind tearing up my eyes, my ears don't ring for 24 hours after I ride and so forth. I wish I'd have done this years ago but my ego and thought of what looked cool got in my way. Dumbass Plus the Pinlock visor kicks ass, rode home after work in a fog that was as thick as it gets, never fogged up my vision!

Attachments

·
Registered
938 Posts
Recently turned 55 and thought it wouldn't be a bad time to think about wearing a helmet, so I went out and bought me a Shoei Neotech II and I love it. No glasses vibrating, no wind tearing up my eyes, my ears don't ring for 24 hours after I ride and so forth. I wish I'd have done this years ago but my ego and thought of what looked cool got in my way. Dumbass Plus the Pinlock visor kicks ass, rode home after work in a fog that was as thick as it gets, never fogged up my vision!
You just touched the "third rail" on motorcycle riding. On other topics this means you touched the electrified center rail in subways, etc, which usually means "bad things". I have ridden with no helmet in the 70s and after many life events, I am a full-faced helmet "convert". You will hear the full spectrum of opinions including the "only difference is a closed casket funeral versus an open casket funeral" or "when it is time for you to die, you are dead". The various opinions do not matter to me, it is a matter of personal choice. I ride with my helmet because of the reasons you stated plus more. To each "their own". Plus, hopefully less skin cancer now on my face. That said, back in "the day", "chicks digged scars"...

·
Registered
938 Posts
You just touched the "third rail" on motorcycle riding. On other topics this means you touched the electrified center rail in subways, etc, which usually means "bad things". I have ridden with no helmet in the 70s and after many life events, I am a full-faced helmet "convert". You will hear the full spectrum of opinions including the "only difference is a closed casket funeral versus an open casket funeral" or "when it is time for you to die, you are dead". The various opinions do not matter to me, it is a matter of personal choice. I ride with my helmet because of the reasons you stated plus more. To each "their own". Plus, hopefully less skin cancer now on my face. That said, back in "the day", "chicks digged scars"...
Along a similar line of thought, I used to think that windshields and fairings were only for "pussies". Oh how have times changed...

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
I was a half-helmet guy for a few years, but now I wear the full-face and don't care if it looks weird, it's about comfort (and maybe a little about safety). I wear the Shoes GT-Air and it has great circulation and very little wind noise.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I've crash-tested a $50 half-helmet, and it saved my life - albeit with a whole lotta stitches and scarring.

2 weeks ago I rode from Capital-area Maryland to Toledo. Weather was nice. Could've picked a half, a 3/4, or a full. I took the full. Why? 6-7 hour ride. No ringing ears. No windburn. No sunburn. I have a Schuberth C3Pro, so I can flip it up and drink at speed.

I have a narrow head. I look stupid AF in a DOT half. Pretty much all local riding I do is with a Bilt 3/4, and the Schuberth is a dream on long rides.

And God forbid something happens.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Welcome to the club. Been sporting a Modular for about 4 or 5 years. Have the Shark Evoline 3. Its 3 years old. Next year I'll replace it. Looking at the Simpson Ghost Bandit modular. But hard not to get a new Shark.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Love my Schuberth C3 Pro, had it for years. Really comfortable and quiet. But heavy! Did three 700 mile days in a row at the end of a trip, and my neck was suffering. So I bought an AGV full carbon fiber modular that's almost a pound lighter. Weight wise, it feels like a novelty helmet. It's not as plush as the Schuberth, but the light weight is terrific.

Never did care about the "old man modular" look. It's so calm inside that thing!

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Been wearing the 1st generation of the Neotech and I have to say that I prefer it over any other helmet on the longer rides. Super comfortable and functional. I've heard all the reasons for not wearing a helmet and I decided that I would rather have the protection and not need it rather than need it and not have it. You never know how you might go down even at speed and many times the helmet IS the deciding factor on whether or not you need a casket or just some recovery time. Just saw a prime example of that in Texas a couple of months ago.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Been wearing the 1st generation of the Neotech and I have to say that I prefer it over any other helmet on the longer rides. Super comfortable and functional. I've heard all the reasons for not wearing a helmet and I decided that I would rather have the protection and not need it rather than need it and not have it. You never know how you might go down even at speed and many times the helmet IS the deciding factor on whether or not you need a casket or just some recovery time. Just saw a prime example of that in Texas a couple of months ago.
We just had 2 that the lack of a helmet was the deciding factor. That's not always the case. Buddy of mine was killed when his SG landed on his chest. No helmet helping that.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Funny how when we get older and wiser we start to realize the risks we have taken in the past. Maybe when I am 70 I will start riding without a helmet because I would rather die while living than wither away.

I prefer FF/modular and less windshield here in the south. I will ride with the visor open until I get hit by the first bug and then it is closed until I ride slow again. I own a 1/2 helmet that I will wear on very rare occasions, but the bugs here are just nasty and I feel that if I have to have a huge windshield in front of me to protect from the bugs I might as well wear a FF/modular without the huge shield and add in some crash protection.

·
Administrator
10,359 Posts
aahh the wisdom of youth , back in the 70's we did lots of stoopid s&^% ..

Rare that I don't wear a skid lid in a no helmet state ..

I have all three and usually wear a half around here in the furnace and against better judgement .. Otherwise it's the N103 Outlaw modular , rarely wear the 3/4 ..

I dont take the half on road trips as the "main skid lid" ..

All ya gotta do is hit the pavement once with a half and you are f'd , no matter the speed ..

Turned 62 Saturday and made it this far with a lot of luck ...

Older I get the older my guardian angel gets ..

Gave up on cool long ago ..

JtB

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
In the 70’s I did everything I could to not wear a helmet. Wear a half helmet here locally in Jax. Used to wear a Nolan outlaw but just couuldn’t get used of the chinbar. Ended up getting a Schuberth M1 for road trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,800 Posts
There are old pilots and bold pilots but very few old and bold pilots. I like to think that those of us that have graduated to the full face/modular are the few in the old and bold category, turned 54 last Saturday, same day as JtB.

Been wearing Shoei full face then modulars for a few years now and rarely wear my half helmet, carry it everywhere on the bike but like all the others I like the features of the modular, quiet, open it up for a drink or snack going down the road, can ride with the visor open if I like and I have mine wired for sound so I'm not straining to hear the music at 85mph on the Interstates.

Older and bolder.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I'm to the point I wear kevlar jeans and a textile and mesh jacket along with European CE rated motorcycle shoes. The jacket should take a good slide. The Jean's an even longer one. From tank tops and no helmet to ATGATT.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Even in my youth I always rode with a helmet, leathers, redwings and gloves. All helmet configurations have their advantages and shortcomings. These days I prefer a spec ops half, good ear and cheek protection but admittedly not to the extent of a 3/4 or full. On the other side of the calculus is the improved situational awareness and peripheral vision, which I find more to my advantage from an overall safety standpoint. My average rides are usually 200/day and begin with the objective of escaping Dallas city traffic asap. (Leave before first light!) In the end, it’s, like always and with all things, a trade-off. Just ride like you’re invisible and trust not the intentions of those in the cage, no time, where. OooRah!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did the same after a riding friend kept showing me data on percentage of time your chin hits first! Love the helmet. I outfitted with J&M boom and headset wired! Actually love the quite! The integrated BT does not get a good review; if thinking of this suggest looking at SENA recharge/battery drain process first!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts