Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at work tonight,and my wellnuts were coming out of the fairing,so I used what I could scrounge up.

the stock w/s screws are 10/32,I used 10/24 wallboard anchors in 2 holes,the ones just left and right of center.They didn't seem to hit anything,and now I just need some 2 inch black 10/24 screws.The anchors I used are the collapsible kind.I also used a rubber washer under each.

Now I have 2 screws I KNOW won't fall out.Anyone else try this? Obviously this won't work in all the holes,but in 2 of them they worked well.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I think the wall anchors would be a good temp. fix. However they are a harder material than rubber wellnuts. I would have to consider if they would be more abrasive to the fairing.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All mine as like smashed, guess the Madstad is to heavy for them, caused alot of squeaking noises. So, I was wondering why you went the route you did and not just wellnut replacements like Madstad sells?

Roadglide Well nut Upgrade kit
Well,several reasons.I was at work,30 miles from home.I had the fairing off before I left,and noticed at work the madstad was coming off.I had gotten some well nuts at the local hardware store,but I think they were too short.Also,it was after 9 PM.So with the hardware store closed,I had to scrounge and use what was available.

I actually used black screws on the anchors in those 2 holes,and I like the way they positively hold the w/s in place,way more solid than wellnuts.

Reactions: dinggus

·
Registered
740 Posts
I have another set of well nuts and screws in my toolbag. Got them from fastenal and have never had to use them. Good insurance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just picked up a new set from HD today and came home and replaced them today because I thought my shield was going to fall off. By the time I finished I was ready to scream! I can't believe how poor a design this is. Do the ones from Madstad or Fastenal work better?

Jeff

·
Registered
740 Posts
Loosely mount the well nuts to the windshield and then push the well nuts into holes. Tighten just snug, tweak if needs be and tighten them down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts