Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While installing the madstad to my faring this weekend, I know how they work, but anyone else think to themselves, "that's gonna fly right off under speed" when looking at wellnuts?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I had a sport bike prior my roadglide and was the exact same system, my windscreen never flew off even at 175 mph so i'm not so concern with this one.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
As hokey as it seems, as long as the wellnuts are properly installed, there just no way, short of structural failure of the fairing that the windshield is gonna come off.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
It's never even crossed my mind in nearly 30K miles. I did just recently replace them all for new ones just because the stock one were looking a little worn.

....and BTW at the hardware store they are called Expansion nuts. I tried explaing wellnuts to them and all i got was blank stares until I showed them the wellnut.

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
The rubber on the wellnuts can crack and deteriorate over time which will result in failure, it happened to my bike and that's when I decided to mount my windshield without wellnuts. The windshield didn't come off but a couple of deteriorated wellnuts came out.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm scared to death, not of windshield coming off but loosing nuts. I'm gonna order a Madstad this week and want to order the well nut up grade. Does that mean I have to take the outer fairing off?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,122 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Get these from Madstad: http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1783/.f

or this kit from another member: http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=54674

Or the most expensive route from Cee Bailey's: http://www.ceebaileys.com/harley/fltr_install_kit.htm

All three prevent being pushed through and are more substantial than what Harley sells. Properly installed, I can't imagine them pulling out.
The wellnut kit from Scootin gets my vote. I bought the kit for my '01 and recently bought another for my '04. Nothing fancy, but the quality of the wellnuts is far better than that of the OEM. They have a thicker, larger diameter shoulder which makes it difficult to push all the way through the hole into the fairing. Not impossible, but you would literally have to be TRYING to push them through. I've been very happy with them. :)

Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guys, I actually installed madstads wellnuts. I just meant in general the whole idea of them, "lets just spread some rubber on this side and it'll hold".

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've only had my RG for a few months. I've had the windshield screws out twice. Once to put on the chrome trim and once to change the windshield.
In my first experience one fell into the fairing. I didn't know wtf happened. I didn't know what a "wellnut was. I thought it screwed right into the fairing and the screw mount snapped off. It took me two shots to get that end screw in securely. The second time when replacing the windshield a different one fell in but I was prepared because I bought a handful of them. At $2 each I feel that it's best to just have some extras and replace them if they look distorted at all. I think it comes down to "proper installation". The more I play with them the more faith I have in them, but I'm not gonna lie. I am always looking to see if the windshield is coming loose. I'm sure the other systems are better but the challenge of making the wellnuts work + me being cheap are keeping me from trying them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts