Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to swapping out the stock windshield on my 2013 RGU. No surprise, I pushed a couple wellnuts into the fairing. The one's I did remove seemed to be severely distorted.

This is the first time I've removed the windshield, and would like to know if this is common, and if they regularly need to be replaced? Or did the tech at the dealership who last removed and installed it over tighten them?

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
Each time you remove/replace the windshield, you should have five extra on hand. I keep a dozen. You've got to know when to stop tightening. KlockWerks makes them with a bigger flange but I haven't spent $30 to see if they work any better. Finesse

·
Super Moderator
1,812 Posts
Warm your nuts!

Yup, if you warm them up using a hair dryer or heat gun they will go back to their original shape, don't over do it.

The way they function is to mushroom as you tighten them. You don't want them so tight that you can barely turn the screw, just snug.

The ones that you pushed thru will fall out the next time you take the outer fairing off, they won't hurt anything in there until you take the fairing off. There is a great thread in here on how to "never lose a well nut again". A good read and some good tips.

I always have carried a couple extra wells nuts/screws and also a selection of fairing screws with me over the years. They are small and easy to keep in a tool kit. You never know who may need one.

Calgaryglide

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
How to tighten wellnuts. Bottom the screw (finger tighten until the screw is just seated but not compressing the wellnut) Tighten the screw EIGHT turns and stop.

Ta Da

Reactions: calgaryglide

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help. I've checked out the video on how to not loose them in the fairing, and have committed it to memory.

I've bought a new set at Lowe's and we'll see how it goes. Will probably pick up some spares to have on hand.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I switch windshields often. I buy my wellnuts in a box of 25. I usually end up replacing at least 3-4 each time I change my windshield. I also keep a few in my saddle bag. They're not very expensive if you buy them online or at a hardware store and avoid the dealerships.

·
Registered
8 Posts
the way to do correct is put screw with washer thou windshield ,then turn wellnut 2 or 3 turns onto screw then push into fairing you will never lose them again.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
I finally got around to swapping out the stock windshield on my 2013 RGU. No surprise, I pushed a couple wellnuts into the fairing. The one's I did remove seemed to be severely distorted.

This is the first time I've removed the windshield, and would like to know if this is common, and if they regularly need to be replaced? Or did the tech at the dealership who last removed and installed it over tighten them?
Was the "tech" swapping the wind deflector?

Unless the newer RG's are attached to the inner, you should never have to remove the windshield to pull the outer.
Unless the length of the threaded stock protrudes too far.
Wellnuts can be overrated
Been there
Thread on this site even shows
Have pulled the outer a dozen x, windshield attached
Nylon washers
Stick it and forget it
It's an extenti on of your Bike

So regularly no, unless you just change it more than your brand of Beer

Attachments

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Reactions: reds4

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had some work done at the dealership, and I know the tech had the windshield and outer fairing removed. I'm just swapping out for a new one. I thought the wellnuts looks like they had been over tightened, but wasn't sure, this is my first Road Glide, but definitely won't be my last.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Getting ready to replace my thumbnail with a LRS 12" shield. I want to pick up some new well nuts. What is the correct size well nut for a 2013? Grainger part number will work too. Thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts