Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went under the knife! Added a second amp & pair of speakers to fairing (pic heavy)...

Done! Kicker PX100.2 amp, and Kicker PS5250i speakers pulled off shelf...

1 de-fairing'd Road Glide...

JVC head unit and grade A velcro job holding down RF PBR30x2...

Location of new amp & speaker...

Removed front 2 torx holding tank to frame and disconnected fuel lines (in & out on 2001 models)...

Removed rear torx and pulled tank back about 4" & up about 2"...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Amp wiring (8 gauge)...

Starting from the front, I ran the amp power & ground through the fairing mount, under the tank along the back bone of the frame. I taped the end of each wire to a giant zip tie I had to help guide it through everything...

Here you can see up under the tank. The zip tie is white and on the left...

Pulling it through to the battery allowing just enough to get it connected...

Left the front uncut until I got the amp mounted. I know there are a lot of slick mounting brackets but, a) would have to go custom with my Kicker & b) using double sided tape inside the bolted up fairing, it's not going anywhere!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Using cardboard from an old calendar, I made a template. Using a ruler, I lined up the speaker with the bottom of the glove box by running the ruler across the bottom of the glove box. Using a marker, I marked the 4 bolt hole. I drilled out the 3 that were accessible and used the bolts to hold the template in place. I marked the area to be cut out...

I bolted up the template to the outside and marked the 4th hole. I couldn't find my pin-vise, so resorted to drilling the 4th hole by hand. First with a small bit, then stepping up until I got to the size I needed...

Once done, I broke out the Dremel. I drilled a pilot hole and then using a cutting bit, cut out the opening. I didn't snap any picture while cutting as there was plastic dust all over. Here is the installed grill from the outside (yes, I should have used black bolts I know! But, I had these on hand!)...

Here is the mounted speaker from the inside...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wash, rinse, & repeat for the other side...

Once finished, I put the ends on the power supplies and connected them to the battery...

Here's the finish install from the rider's position (pretty stealthy!!)...

Once I set the gain on the second amp and set the fader control so the Kicker speakers supplemented the Polks (instead of overpowering them), the sound was fantastic!! Switching the fader from front to back for comparison really highlighted the amount of bass the polks put out! The JVC has several EQ settings and I switch it to "natural voice" for riding and then "bass boost" cruising in town. Next project will probably be a Sony head unit with the iPod tray so I can lose the aux in wire! Here's my SERG on the test run...

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Nice write up with the pix. Glad you're happy with the results. Until you get some black screws, I'll bet a black sharpie will make a difference for ya.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Gotta B 10x betr than what the stock set up was !
Hard to believe that Bike retailed for $23,995 in 2001,...if my memory serves me correctly.
I Love Kicker Audio Gear, ... Always had Great Results!
Prolly? Cleaner than that Rockford Fosgate ,....aint it???
Nice Pics two , ...btw

1 - 6 of 6 Posts