Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been struggling about getting the RGU set up with a tuner, my past experiences have been with a PC 3 and a SERT on my other scoots, I had more than my share of probelms with the PC 3, and now I'm running a SERT on my RK which has a bit of motor work, not bad, but if you dont get the right guy tuning it, it will be back to the dealer until you do.
I have been reading through all the suggestions and experiences here and decided to just do the stage one download from the dealer on the RGU, I am running Vance and Hines dresser duals with hi output mufflers and stage one air, no plans to do any further performance work so I gave it a shot for $175.
Yesterday was the test as we did a 200 mile mountain run through all conditions, it performed perfect (for me) gave the bike the right amount of snap on the throttle, and cooled it down nicely, fuel mileage seems to have improved only slightly ( I was testing the performance a lot ) but in general the bike runs a lot better, quicker, cooler, and has more throttle snap, basically all I was hoping for.
In my opinion, for what I was looking to get out of it, this worked perfectly!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I have been struggling about getting the RGU set up with a tuner, my past experiences have been with a PC 3 and a SERT on my other scoots, I had more than my share of probelms with the PC 3, and now I'm running a SERT on my RK which has a bit of motor work, not bad, but if you dont get the right guy tuning it, it will be back to the dealer until you do.
I have been reading through all the suggestions and experiences here and decided to just do the stage one download from the dealer on the RGU, I am running Vance and Hines dresser duals with hi output mufflers and stage one air, no plans to do any further performance work so I gave it a shot for $175.
Yesterday was the test as we did a 200 mile mountain run through all conditions, it performed perfect (for me) gave the bike the right amount of snap on the throttle, and cooled it down nicely, fuel mileage seems to have improved only slightly ( I was testing the performance a lot ) but in general the bike runs a lot better, quicker, cooler, and has more throttle snap, basically all I was hoping for.
In my opinion, for what I was looking to get out of it, this worked perfectly!
I went a similar way when I bought my 2010 FLTRX. Well... sort of similar anyway.

I had the chrome SE "Nightstick" (Supertrapp) and the SE AC added plus had the Stage 1 D/L done as part of the sale/delivery deal.

Then, when I got home, I added a Supertrapp "open" end cap and a few disks. That made performance noticeably better but she does run just a little lean (some pippity-pop on decel - very light, not severe). Been running great for about 18K miles that way though.

I still want a full custom pipe setup like you (ditch the CAT) and that's when I plan to add a tuner and maybe some mild cams... just not enough $ yet (retired).

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Glad the results are what you were looking for! When I had my StreetBob, I did pretty much the same as you - Harley SE slip ons, SE Heavy Breather and the Stage 1 download. The bike ran great. I bought an SE Supertuner as well, and had it installed at 1000 miles with a dyno. There was a small increase in HP and TQ, but not really much, so that showed me that the Stage 1 download on its own was just fine.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I am with you. I did not want to flagrantly void my warranty (only slight void it, like being a little pregnant) and I did not want to spend a ton of money on dyno work.
I did the SE air cleaner, street performance slip ons, and download. It is right for me (emphasis here). Not too loud, a bit more torquey, and the bike runs like a champ in all conditions.
Ian

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ian, did you ditch the CAT also? If so, what type of head pipe are you using?

Darrell

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yesca, I went with the V&H Power Duals, the stage 1 download and Rush tips. I have gone ahead and put the Fuel Pak on too. It think it helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts