Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a little thread to document my west coast trip for this year.

What a day. Had lunch with my kids before I left. Picked up my riding buddy Jack and his daughter Brianna and started out for Vancouver Island.

Jack's daughter and mine go to the same school, this was supposed to be a father daughter trip for all of us but unfortunately things came up for my daughter that she could not be away and miss.

First Casualty of the day, Jack's spare helmet fell off the back of his bike about 40 miles west of Calgary after a particularly rough bridge deck. I think I may even have video of this with my drift camera. Needless to say it happened very fast at 65mph and was a really pucker moment for me when his full face was bouncing and skidding toward me, albeit at a reducing rate of speed, the damn thing was just so unpredictable in what it was going to do. Locked up the brake for a fraction of a second to let it pass by, then pulled over, gathered my nerves, made sure my shorts were dry and then walked back down the hill to find the helmet.

It took about 10 minutes but I did find it, scarred up a bit. I shoved my left hand through and rode on to meet up with Jack and Brianna at the next rest stop about 4 miles up the road. It was the first place they could stop out of traffic. Ol' Jack was worried that his full face had wiped me out. He was calling my phone to see if I was OK (bluetooth in the helmet) but I had turned it off early and forgot to turn it back on.

The helmet was left behind in the trash receptacle at the rest area. It bounced so much that Jack nor I would trust it again.

Second casualty of the day, my rain pants left an ugly black melted smear on my Dragula rear pipe when I was trying to put the bike on the centerstand to fuel up in Golden. Live and learn I guess.

The destruction in Canmore was really unbelievable. There is washout rock form Cougar creek everywhere. The east bound lanes of the Trans Canada have washed leaving an overpass stranded like a statue. Many creeks between Canmore and Banff have washed out either the eastbound or westbound 4 lane sections. Traffic on these just opened yesterday, or our detour trip would have been 9 hours from Calgary to Revelstoke instead of th 5 that it took us.

Wildlife report; 1 moose, several elk, a few deer, and a rarity a mountain goat along the side of the highway in a rock cut close to Revelstoke. It has been many years since I have seen one in the wild. Spectacular. No bears, plenty of tourists in their rental motorhomes that don't know how to use the passing lane.

Real thrill to go through the snow sheds again between Golden BC and Rogers Pass, love the sound of the exhaust in those tunnels. The recent rains had many waterfalls showing up along the way, some were very spectacular high up on the mountainsides

A photo of Jack, Brianna and I at the top of the Roger's Pass.

And here we are arriving at tonight's accommodation, Super 8 in Revelstoke.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Easy off oven cleaner on a rag away from the bike and a warm pipe will take care of the rain pants. Wiped own with polish or something afterwards. Looks like a fun trip.

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Day 2.

Brent, going thru Lower Mainland July 3rd, Victoria to Osooyoos that day, have 1 stop to make on 0 Ave in Surrey and was going to go to Barnes HD before heading east.

Drew, met your buddy Austin today at Kamloops Harley. He and a buddy on a 2000 Screamin Eagle RG were headed to Squamish today. They are hardcore compared to my geriatric speed.

Today's ride.

Revelstoke to Kamloops in the morning, uneventful, no wildlife or even any roadkill for that matter. Bought some cool shirts for the SW tshirt exchange with some cool Canadian themes. Also bought a new seat nut and clip.

Nice store, really wanted to see an 07 Black Cherry RG that they had in stock but it was off the floor because someone put a deposit on it. Black Cherry in 07 is a little harder find.

Kamloops to Cache Creek, nice ride, good curves and made good time.

The 99 highway from just north of Cache Creek to Pemberton is wild. Tons of curves, hairpin switchbacks posted at 20km/h (12mph), narrow road with elevation changes in the curves, several runaway lanes for logging truck, 13% grades and tons of RV's and trucks with very smelly brakes. Road goes through some awesome terrain changes, deep valleys (Canada's Grand Canyon) roads and railways where you think it would be impossible to put them.

Did see a bald eagle at Pavillion and a deer on the inside of a swithback just outside of Lillooet. In Lillooet when getting gas we struck a conversation with 3 guys on BMW 800's. They were in a road rally of sort and would be going off pavnment for over 1200km over the next 2 days. They pack very light with clothes but carry fuel and 1 set of spare tires between 3 guys.

Had a little scare when it just started to rain and had a hairpin left handed on to a narrow bridge, drifted a little wide right and had to remind myself to "keep turning, keep turning, look where you want to go".

Rain for the last 50k (30miles) into Whistler. We stick out here like a couple of sore thumbs. I don't think they get many folks on Harleys dressed in road leathers and rain gear here. Lots of mountain bikes, granola crunchers here for the Canada day long weekend.

Music today was provided by Blue Rodeo, Meatloaf, Aerosmith, Jason Plumb, Chris Trapper, Mumford and Sons, Lumineres, Alan Jackson, George Strait, Kenny Chesney, Supertramp, Phil Collins (that drum solo is wild in the twisties), Tragically Hip, Bare Naked Ladies, Guster and ELVIS. Hoping to have a little Johnny Cash, Tom Cochrane and Red Rider and more surprises tomorrow. The ipod set up by my wife has been a trip down memory lane, thanks Lori for that.

Dinner tonight at a real restaraunt, The Keg in Whistler.

"Miss Louise is a little flithy tonight but rain expected tomorrow am on way into Vancouver so will give her a bath tomorrow night in Campbell River. Should be a great day for pictures tomorrow, sunny with some really cools tourist stops planned.

Calgaryglide out.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Good reading your trip through the Canmore area turned out to get better as you motored west. That road through the Coast mtns is a nice loop for us , we are spoiled over here on the Left coast . Will watch your travels and may be hook up for a Starbucks when you pass back thru. Keep us posted, its great reading what others think of our Left coast

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
As your leaving Whistler there are a couple good stops along the way. First one is Brandywine falls and its on your left .Its a 5 minute walk to the falls. Then as you motor alom]ng the river it pretty good , when you start heading up in Elavation there will be a pullover at the summiton your right looking over at the Tantalus Range . Then its downhill to Sqaumish about 10 miles. Just after you leave there on your left is a famous rock call the Cheif you will see the guys climbing up the face of it . About a mile along from there is another set of falls on your right at the traffic light .After that it is nice a ride to Capilino exit

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Met up with Troy ,Jack and his daughter today over on the North Shore Mtns. They are making some good miles around the province and seeing some good sites. Headed over to the island and some good seafood ah ah jealouse . Be safe and take in some good sites and food . Great meeting ya all and see ya in the Heat

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Day 3.

Cecil's suggestions for stops were spot on. We missed the Brandywine falls one but took in the Tanatalus Range lookout. We pulled in at the same time as a tourbus full of German Nationals, the women took pictures of the Moutains, the men stood around and took pictures of our bikes. Brianna took pictures as we pass Chief Mountain, a sheer wall of granite that climbers "scale" to the top.

All the way from Argentina, with a Utah bumper sticker

Only in Whistler would there be a painted mural in the parking garage under the hotel. 18$ a night to park, worth it in the rain.

We first saw Connector going the other way on the Sea to Sun highway but he caught up and met us at the Capilano Bridge and Cliff walk. Once again the members that I meet from this forum are top notch people who take time out of their days off to show us around the take us too the best places. Cecil took us up to Cypress bowl lookout after the Capilano bridge and the view was unbelievable of English Bay, downtown Vancouver and 18 ships in the harbour waiting to unload or load, the economy of Vancouver is alive and well. Cecil told us that on a day with less haze we could see to Mt. Baker in Wa. state as well as a couple of cities across the border.

After the lookout, a 2 hour or so ferry ride from Horshoe Bay, West Vancouver to Departure Bay, Nanaimo on Vancouver Island. Had a about a 45 minute wait for the ferry and had to find some shade, very hot and humid today in W. Vancouver.

Also found out there is a huge world class staged Mountain bike race, like the tour de france, with the next stage taking place tomorrow on the island as well. The Ferry was crowded with more mountain bikers than regular tourists.

Landed on the island and made a beeline for our hotel in Campbell River, BC. This is the salmon fishing capital of Canada. They make a ton of money here in guided fishing. No time for that this trip, visiting some relatives here in the morning then down the island to do the tourist thing and staying in H-Donut and my namesake town, Duncan, BC.

Wildlife, finally a black bear, deer, bald eagles, golden eagle, 1 huge tire gator and 1 dead bambi road kill.

Music today from Ozzie, Tom Cochrane and Red River, Great Big Sea, Sean McCann, Supertramp, Tragically Hip, Neil Young, Georgia Satelites, Northern Pikes, Brian Adams, Trooper, Mark Chestnut, Bellamy Brothers, Supertramp and Michael Buble.

Pictures to come.

Calgryglide

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jack and Brianna on the cliffwalk

Brianna and i on the cliffwalk

Bree and Jack standing on the glass floor lookout.

English Bay from Cypress Lookout

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
English bay looking out to the strait.

Jack and Brianna at the bow of the Queen of Cowichan ferry.

Leonardo Dicaprio I am not! King of my world

Stepping out onto the cliffwalk

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Nice to view this..

Working today - Very Quiet. Got time to catch-up with the Trip your on. Really nice scenery. Sad your daughter had to miss it. Ride safe Troy.

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Day 4

Started the day in Campbell River. Had breakfast at my cousin's restaurant, surprised her for sure. Haven't seen each other in 5 years.

Dennis, Diana and me (Diana is my cousin)

First stop is just down the road from Campbell River at the annual chainsaw carving constest. These people are really talented, here are some samples of their work from Saturday and Sunday.

This is my favourite a pod of killer whales

Miracle Beach

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Next down the road was the Coombs country market, I remember this place when I was a kid. They are famous for raising goats on the "green" roof of the main market and the other buildings.

We stopped here for the teenage girl to "shop" for a bit, Ol' Jack and I did some people watchin from the benchs.

Next stop Cathedral Grove, 800+year old Douglas Fir Trees. An incredilbe area to visit and experience

Video from top of tree to bottom to top again.

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Port Albernie, end of a long fiord that snakes inland from the west coast of Vancouver Island.

Saw this cool old Ford pickup truck in town.

From Port Albernie, screamed down the highway to our hotel in Cowichan for the night, nice dinner then a dip in the pool and crashed.

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Day 5, July 1, CANADA DAY EH!

When I was a kid, this was called Dominion Day. Happy birthday Canada, 146 years young today.

Today is a low mileage day so we let Jack's daughter sleep in and we went to Tim Horton's for breakfast and asked the locals where the nearest wand wash was. A couple blocks and a few toonies later, bikes are cleaned, wiped down, bugs washed off and spray waxed ready for the day.

Back up the highway about 3km then west to Port Renfrew on the sw coast of Vancouver island. Long narrow twisty road out to Port Renfrew, then another 100km of narrow, twisty road to Victoria. Most of the bridges are single lane wide with tons of folks with their RV's heading home from the Canada day Long Weekend.

Stopped in Port Renfrew and had a quick hotdog and pop with the local volunteer fire department fund raiser. Caused a little stir when I looped around their "HELICOPTER" sitting in their yard,

Another black bear today, tons of deer, couple eagles and no road kill. The ocean views were mostly obscured with fog and mist.

Rode into Victoria about 5pm. Checked into our hotel downtown right next to the legislature, streets closed off, had some fun navigating to the hotel. Walked along the harbour front to the Blue Crab cafe for dinner, took a water taxi back to the inner harbour and walked back to our hotel.

Huge free outdoor concert for Canada Day, The Odds, playing in Victoria as the headliner. About 10 minutes away from the Canada day fireworks. Spectacular fireworks show and horn salute from the boats/ships in the harbour.

Music today from Big & Rich, George Strait, REO Speedwagon, Elton John, Billy Joel, Queen, Michael Jackson and Billy Vera and the Beaters.

Pictures to follow after the fireworks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts