Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Scorched Orange RG Limited
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not long ago I picked up some KST Spearhead bars for my Glide. Install went perfect with one exception - my throttle side grip wouldn’t seat inboard enough to stay connected to the gears on the TBW assembly at the end of the bar. The brake MC wouldn’t slide in any further either. A couple of times the grip failed to engage the gears and I had no throttle!! Thankfully never caused any issues while riding, but it was something I needed to sort out ASAP.

I checked KST’s website and the owners, Ret and Brett, have their friggin’ cell phones listed on the site. Though after 5p, I gave a ring one afternoon and lo and behold, Brett answered. Explained the situation and he said that that can occasionally happen as sometimes the chamfer on the bar isn’t exact. He then noted that I was local and asked if I wanted to ride over and have them handle it onsite. Today was that day.

Left out of the house about 9am for the 75 mile ride to Bremen, GA, which is due west from Atlanta and close to the AL border. My route took me thru a lot of lazy country roads and some 4-lane (Hwy 27) with almost minimal traffic in either direction. It was a nice and cool 73deg - perfect for a morning ride.

Got to the KST Kustoms shop and was surprised at the size of the operation. I was met by Ret who took my motorcycle around the back and into their shop where I met back up with him. He had my throttle side handled in short order solving the fitment issue and, while I was there, replaced my stock HD cast top clamp with a billet aluminum top clamp with 3 set screws in the clamp. This provides much better clamping and holding force than the rubber strip they used previously, which my bars had. After that, Ret had me on the bike to ensure everything was evenly adjusted and good to go. We made a slight tweak to the left side bar to even them up and not long after was on the way.

The facility is probably 50,000 SF of manufacturing space. All of their bars are stainless steel, cut and welded and polished in house. It was impressive. Lots of good Americans making American made shit. I was glad to be able to support them and appreciate the great customer service.

Took a few pics of the holding bin for finished bars but not much else, or of the ride. Was enjoying the cool air, good tunes and sound of the motor too much to stop. 😎. Check out KST Kustoms. Good folks that will take care of you and treat you right.

Oh yeah... there was no charge.

Below is a pic of the billet top clamp with the 3 set screws.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Its great to see that the owner actually answered, had you come on down and they fixed it for you free of charge! It makes for great service and people want to do business with them.

·
Administrator
10,995 Posts
Go by there pretty regular , real easy to miss , they almost as far out in the woods as I am ..

JtB

·
Registered
2020 RGL
324 Posts
Great to hear. Love the bars that I have from them. I might have to get that top clamp with the set screw for insurance.

·
Administrator
12,659 Posts
I’ve been thinking about KST bars for a while, after reading this, I plan my next bar purchase to be KST, thank you.

Reactions: Speedie

·
Registered
441 Posts
Nice post and great to hear that good quality customer service and support is still around.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I had KSTs before I went to the JSR bars.

·
Administrator
12,659 Posts
Did you put a set on Sauni's bike after seeing mine in Gettysburg this year?
I’m still trying to convince her that she needs new bars, lol.

Reactions: Ohiobellboy

·
Registered
219 Posts
Not long ago I picked up some KST Spearhead bars for my Glide. Install went perfect with one exception - my throttle side grip wouldn’t seat inboard enough to stay connected to the gears on the TBW assembly at the end of the bar. The brake MC wouldn’t slide in any further either. A couple of times the grip failed to engage the gears and I had no throttle!! Thankfully never caused any issues while riding, but it was something I needed to sort out ASAP.

I checked KST’s website and the owners, Ret and Brett, have their friggin’ cell phones listed on the site. Though after 5p, I gave a ring one afternoon and lo and behold, Brett answered. Explained the situation and he said that that can occasionally happen as sometimes the chamfer on the bar isn’t exact. He then noted that I was local and asked if I wanted to ride over and have them handle it onsite. Today was that day.

Left out of the house about 9am for the 75 mile ride to Bremen, GA, which is due west from Atlanta and close to the AL border. My route took me thru a lot of lazy country roads and some 4-lane (Hwy 27) with almost minimal traffic in either direction. It was a nice and cool 73deg - perfect for a morning ride.

Got to the KST Kustoms shop and was surprised at the size of the operation. I was met by Ret who took my motorcycle around the back and into their shop where I met back up with him. He had my throttle side handled in short order solving the fitment issue and, while I was there, replaced my stock HD cast top clamp with a billet aluminum top clamp with 3 set screws in the clamp. This provides much better clamping and holding force than the rubber strip they used previously, which my bars had. After that, Ret had me on the bike to ensure everything was evenly adjusted and good to go. We made a slight tweak to the left side bar to even them up and not long after was on the way.

The facility is probably 50,000 SF of manufacturing space. All of their bars are stainless steel, cut and welded and polished in house. It was impressive. Lots of good Americans making American made shit. I was glad to be able to support them and appreciate the great customer service.

Took a few pics of the holding bin for finished bars but not much else, or of the ride. Was enjoying the cool air, good tunes and sound of the motor too much to stop. 😎. Check out KST Kustoms. Good folks that will take care of you and treat you right.

Oh yeah... there was no charge.

View attachment 426336

View attachment 426337

Below is a pic of the billet top clamp with the 3 set screws.

View attachment 426338
I had the same issue with the throttle grip. Avon grips seem to be longer on the throttle side. I had the same issue with FMB bars before I got KSTs. I ended up grinding the back side of the brake reservoir clamp so it would slide further on. When I ran into the issue with FMB, they made me a set of bars 1/8 inch longer on the throttle side and it worked like a champ. But I definitely like my KST bars better. Glad to hear they have such great customer service!

·
Administrator
5,916 Posts
Fantastic! They are a long time Shark Week Sponsor. Hopefully you mentioned the forum.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
9,275 Posts
I’m still trying to convince her that she needs new bars, lol.
There's something you don't see often, a husband having to convince his wife to spend money on buying something new for herself!

·
Shark of the Month October 13
9,275 Posts
I probably don't have a handle bar purchases in my future, but if I did, this review would be enough to make me buy KSTs. A competitive price, good customer service and a manufacturer that stands behind their product after the sale is all you can ask of a supplier. (y)(y) to KST.

Reactions: Speedie
1 - 14 of 14 Posts