Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Monday I was finally able to take my new '16 Road Glide Ultra for a ride that due to work and weather had been sitting since last month on a battery tender in the garage. I was about half way through my ride when I wondered what my oil pressure was. Due to it not having an analog gauge I hadn't thought of it till then so I pulled it up. It was good at idle, about 13-15lbs but at highway speed it was 26 which I thought was a little low.

I called the dealer and asked the service manager and he says the book says 30-38 and that I could ride it but I needed to bring it in which I did. Long story short cause I'm typing this on my PITA phone, he calls today and said nothing was wrong with it. He sez they checked the sending unit and it was OK and they called Harley Tech Support and they say the oil pressure should be 30lbs with 5 pounds variance +or- which would put me in range on the low side.

Due to the time line of today's events and the fact I cant find anyone else with oil pressure that low I think they're blowing smoke up my ass. My '11 with 75k+ miles had better oil pressure. He then claimed his street glide and several others on the show room floor where showing similar oil pressure. I'm going over Saturday and he's gonna have to show me.

What do you guys think? What kind of pressure are you running?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
My 110 indicates that it's slightly lower than the 103 ran.
The analog gauge on the 103 usually read 30-32ish, the digital gauge on the
110 seems to want to run 28 or so. Always less than 30 for sure.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tom. It looks like you and me are the only ones that check our oil pressure. I guess at the next SW I need to watch for more smoke lol

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Thanks Tom. It looks like you and me are the only ones that check our oil pressure. I guess at the next SW I need to watch for more smoke lol
I think I go to that page mainly because I'm amazed that the ambient temp reading is actually reasonably close. The part that freaks me out is that the oil pressure is not continuously updated, so when you first see it the reading is whatever it was the last time you brought that page up. So you're ripping down the road, poke the button and the first number you see is 13lbs or something til it updates.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
I think they have that +/- 5 degree variance because HD oil pressure gauges are not the most accurate things in the world. It's good to have something to go by but you don't have an oil pressure gauge on some bikes so if you had been on a RK you wouldn't have even thought about it. If the dealer said it was good then I would ride it like I stole it and if it blows up it's on them. :D

·
Super Moderator
1,811 Posts
Oil Pressure?

Hello Jim,

I've only got about 180 miles or so on the new one but I will keep an eye on it.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
249 Posts
My 110 indicates that it's slightly lower than the 103 ran.
The analog gauge on the 103 usually read 30-32ish, the digital gauge on the
110 seems to want to run 28 or so. Always less than 30 for sure.
This about pegs my 110 also once up to temp it is always below 30 even accelerating.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I think they have that +/- 5 degree variance because HD oil pressure gauges are not the most accurate things in the world. It's good to have something to go by but you don't have an oil pressure gauge on some bikes so if you had been on a RK you wouldn't have even thought about it. If the dealer said it was good then I would ride it like I stole it and if it blows up it's on them. :D
I hear you but what wasn't good on Monday mysteriously became good on Wednesdsy! I have no problem riding it like I stole it, that's the way I ride in God's country far away from phone service or dealers to the tune of about 20-25k a year. If theres nothing wrong with it great but I have a 10k mile trip planned this summer and the fact it's under warranty will be little consolidation when I'm sitting in bumf#ck Idaho broke down .

Hello Jim,

I've only got about 180 miles or so on the new one but I will keep an eye on it.

Calgaryglide
Thanks Troy but due to circumstance I only have 130 on mine. Mine was messed up out of the box. Right or wrong had I test rode it I wouldn't have bought this one.

Supposed to be super nice Tuesday and Wednesday next week. I'm gonna run the piss out of it and try to get my 1000 miles on it.

Reactions: RGKen

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
It seems when I bring the screen up mine is at 33. I really don't check it ,just the same screen that shows air temp.
I do run SYN engine oil.

·
Super Moderator
1,811 Posts
Quicksand,

Got a little ride in this afternoon. Highest Oil Pressure was 31psi. Lowest at idle after warmed up was 14psi. Normal cruising speed in 6th gear it fluctuated between 27 and 29 psi.

Highest air temp was 55F, dropped to 48 when I pulled into the garage at home.

Regards,

Calgaryglide aka Troy.

Reactions: RGKen

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Quicksand,

Got a little ride in this afternoon. Highest Oil Pressure was 31psi. Lowest at idle after warmed up was 14psi. Normal cruising speed in 6th gear it fluctuated between 27 and 29 psi.
Regards,
Calgaryglide aka Troy.
Sounds like mine.......

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quicksand,

Regards,

Calgaryglide aka Troy.
Thanks Troy. I rode mine home from the dealer today. Left the dealer and it stayed at 33 about 5 miles on the interstate. At first red light it dropped to 20....when I took off it went back up to 30. For the rest of the trip home it ran 26 under power and dropped to around 13-14 at stop signs. Air temp 56.

The temps are supposed to be good around here the next few days but we're supposed to get a lot of rain. Hopefully one day will be good and I can get a substantial day of riding in. I still only have about 144 miles on it. A good run of a few hours should tell me more.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Monday I was finally able to take my new '16 Road Glide Ultra for a ride that due to work and weather had been sitting since last month on a battery tender in the garage. I was about half way through my ride when I wondered what my oil pressure was. Due to it not having an analog gauge I hadn't thought of it till then so I pulled it up. It was good at idle, about 13-15lbs but at highway speed it was 26 which I thought was a little low.

I called the dealer and asked the service manager and he says the book says 30-38 and that I could ride it but I needed to bring it in which I did. Long story short cause I'm typing this on my PITA phone, he calls today and said nothing was wrong with it. He sez they checked the sending unit and it was OK and they called Harley Tech Support and they say the oil pressure should be 30lbs with 5 pounds variance +or- which would put me in range on the low side.

Due to the time line of today's events and the fact I cant find anyone else with oil pressure that low I think they're blowing smoke up my ass. My '11 with 75k+ miles had better oil pressure. He then claimed his street glide and several others on the show room floor where showing similar oil pressure. I'm going over Saturday and he's gonna have to show me.

What do you guys think? What kind of pressure are you running?
80 deg F ambient air temp, 220 deg F oil temp; 15 psi at idle, 30 psi at cruising speeds, i.e. 55 mph and above.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My RGS is always around 31-32 when running in 6th. I never check it at idle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts