Registered
10,385 Posts
Power loss, oil level droping.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update on sumping.

Yea my motor was wet sumping, local dealer tore down found cracked scavenge side gear lots of brass filings now trying to find out from where. Looks like may have to put in short block groan!!

·
Registered
10,385 Posts
What he said ^^^. Harley's have dry sums , so when all that oil starts to collect down at the bottom of the cases, it puts a drag on the flywheels, producing power loss.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Did an 1800 mile ride two weeks ago never had any oil issues but did notice a lack of power a couple times in high gear,after returning home i washed the bike,then the next day went for a short ride got home and noticed the air cleaner was dripping oil cleaned it then rode to work today no oil so far.On the way home it tried rolling on the throttle in 6th at about 55 felt sluggish,havent noticed the puttting on the brakes feeling after closing the throttle

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Did an 1800 mile ride two weeks ago never had any oil issues but did notice a lack of power a couple times in high gear,after returning home i washed the bike,then the next day went for a short ride got home and noticed the air cleaner was dripping oil cleaned it then rode to work today no oil so far.On the way home it tried rolling on the throttle in 6th at about 55 felt sluggish,havent noticed the puttting on the brakes feeling after closing the throttle

·
Registered
10,385 Posts
Yep, oil coming out of the breather and air cleaner is a sure sign of the oil sumping. Do you leave your bike sit for long periods? Might also be time for a oil pump rebuild.
I never had it do it on my twin cams , but seen it on the Evo , and Shovel head after sitting a while.
Some of the better mechanics on here might be able to explain better than I can on why it does it sometimes and not others.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Yep, oil coming out of the breather and air cleaner is a sure sign of the oil sumping. Do you leave your bike sit for long periods? Might also be time for a oil pump rebuild.
I never had it do it on my twin cams , but seen it on the Evo , and Shovel head after sitting a while.
Some of the better mechanics on here might be able to explain better than I can on why it does it sometimes and not others.
Only leave it sit in the winter,try to ride every day,back and forth to work and on weekends,it has been sitting for about a week,been raining a lot here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.