Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The buffeting on my new-to-me 2010 'Glide is kicking my ass and I don't want a taller shield.

Could a shorter windshield help or is the fairing actually the source of buffeting making a taller shield necessary?

... and please don't suggest Madstad.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I don't believe their is a single answer, people seem to experience buffeting differently and for different reasons. Some people don't even believe it exists.

Some people have problems with the air coming over the top while others have issue with the air coming up from between the tank and fairing.

Try a stock size windshield with a lip to see if it will flip the air above you enough to take care of it.

Also, what type of helmet are you wearing? My Schuberth M1 is fantastic with the visor down but with the visor up and above about 60 mph I get some pretty good buffeting, worse when there is a cross wind.

When I test rode my glide there was an immense amount of wind noise right at the top of my helmet, much louder than my Road King without the windshield. It required a 14" Freedom Shield to get the air high enough to cut down on the noise.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Try throwing up a pic or a description (height & lenght)

Posture, airspace speed, I ant figured out half of what some say, half ant figured out we either, fair supposed, some seem to get it when the bikes not moving? Is there a a blow test, some get from bottom to top and there's even side buffeting?

Top a my shield to sitting 2 -up is in line with my chin

·
Administrator
10,479 Posts
buffeting is caused by wind hitting you , short windshield isn't the answer , until the shield is better than half your height over the front edge of the fairing , you're gonna get it ..

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
This works for me. My windshield is high enough that I can see over the top of it and see the pavement 50 feet in front of me. It also has a flair at the top to help direct the air. It's a Windvest 12".

I also have lowers. This helps stop the air coming at me from below.

Reactions: cookie114

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'm 6'2" with a 32" inseam, I have lowers, fork deflectors, and a 14" windvest shield. That's what it took for me... Your results may vary

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
The fairing creates a low-pressure area behind it. Nature abhors a vacuum, so air rushes in to fill it. It tumbles as it mixes with the surrounding slipstream and creates what we call buffeting. The vents help mitigate that low-pressure area, but they're not enough. Whether you want to hear it or not, the Madstad does away with the buffeting 100%. No, it's not the most attractive shield out there, but it does do the job better than anything else.

·
Registered
8,825 Posts
Some guys even spaced their windshield away from the fairing a 1/2 inch to mimic the M.S. . Don't remember the results.
Also try the Dog dish and HD C.B. baffles.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Some guys even spaced their windshield away from the fairing a 1/2 inch to mimic the M.S. . Don't remember the results.
I did that and it works great!

Reactions: midwaywfo

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I put my lowers back on this weekend after cleaning it from the road trip. Slightly better than the GADS, not sure if I will stick with them or go back yet. The wife hasn't ridden with them back on and want to get her opinion.

While I agree some buffeting is bad, and can make riding uncomfortable, it is a motorcycle. Some of the desire is to feel the wind, otherwise we would be in cars all the time. I don't want to ever get rid of feeling anything, otherwise I would just drive or buy a goldwing.

·
Registered
654 Posts
The fairing creates a low-pressure area behind it. Nature abhors a vacuum, so air rushes in to fill it. It tumbles as it mixes with the surrounding slipstream and creates what we call buffeting. The vents help mitigate that low-pressure area, but they're not enough. Whether you want to hear it or not, the Madstad does away with the buffeting 100%. No, it's not the most attractive shield out there, but it does do the job better than anything else.
Train is absolutely accurate. Same thing happens to goldwings. You may see vents or extremely tall windshields on them. As for Madstad. Yup they are the answer for these bikes. Lots of other riders stop by and ask about it. Some like it. Some hate it. I think the look has grown on me and the ride is buffet free. If you try driving your car with only one rear window down you will probably hear and feel the air bouncing in and out. Open a front window and air moves smoothly. Same with a Madstad.
By the way. I have had a six inch windshield, Klocwerks, 15 inch Windsplitter from MOCO, 13 inch Windvest. All collecting dust now. The Windvest was okay. Should have tried a 16 inch Windvest. The other two would direct air directly at my head. Couldn't hear the stereo at full volume at 55 mph.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I did that too Gary. With the lowers on I don't have any buffeting.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Try throwing up a pic or a description (height & lenght)

Posture, airspace speed, I ant figured out half of what some say, half ant figured out we either, fair supposed, some seem to get it when the bikes not moving? Is there a a blow test, some get from bottom to top and there's even side buffeting?

Top a my shield to sitting 2 -up is in line with my chin
I'm 6'5", 38 inseam. Wind hits the top of my helmet - just above forehead.

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
buffeting is caused by wind hitting you , short windshield isn't the answer , until the shield is better than half your height over the front edge of the fairing , you're gonna get it ..
I rode for five years prior without a fairing or windshield without issue. I don't mind the wind at all ... which is why I was wondering about a smaller shield. I'll measure things with your formula. Thanks.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I put my lowers back on this weekend after cleaning it from the road trip. Slightly better than the GADS, not sure if I will stick with them or go back yet. The wife hasn't ridden with them back on and want to get her opinion.

While I agree some buffeting is bad, and can make riding uncomfortable, it is a motorcycle. Some of the desire is to feel the wind, otherwise we would be in cars all the time. I don't want to ever get rid of feeling anything, otherwise I would just drive or buy a goldwing.
I rode a bike without a fairing or windshield for five years prior. I have no problem with wind - which is why I was hoping to go to a smaller shield. Buffeting that shakes my head and makes vision blurry above 70mph is something I have a problem with and is dangerous. I do not intend to slow down so guess I'll add windshield to the rapidly growing list of Harley issues. Why do we buy these bikes again? Lol

·
Registered
501 Posts
Lowers, 14" windvest and some homemade wind deflectors inside the fairing work great for me!

Attachments

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
That windshield is probably your problem. I tried one, and hated it. My head bounced so much I had blurred vision. Give Windvest a call and tell them your stats, and have them recommend a size. They have great customer service.

I'm 6'5", 38 inseam. Wind hits the top of my helmet - just above forehead.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The only reason I mentioned the Madstad is because I read through old threads prior to posting mine and it seemed like most posts devolved into a debate on looks.
I like your posts by the way. Straightforward and informative.
Thanks much.

·
Registered
8,825 Posts
I rode a bike without a fairing or windshield for five years prior. I have no problem with wind - which is why I was hoping to go to a smaller shield. Buffeting that shakes my head and makes vision blurry above 70mph is something I have a problem with and is dangerous. I do not intend to slow down so guess I'll add windshield to the rapidly growing list of Harley issues. Why do we buy these bikes again? Lol
Wind Buffeting on the RG is caused from wind flow from different areas around the fairing being sucked into the low pressure area behind the fairing, then sucked back out behind you. The fix is.... eliminate or lessen, or redirect one of the flows.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts