Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking (maybe) go with this set up. I was just wondering what else I need to buy to do a complete install.

The system is (incase the Link doesn't come out)

Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4
Hertz HCX 165 6.5" 2 way Hi Energy Coaxial
ARC Audio 6.5" Speaker Adapter Rings for Harley Davidson

01. Do I need a special wiring harness?
02. Should I just stay with the Rockford 6.5 instead?
03. Will the PBR over power the HERTZ?

I am only wanting to upgrade the fairing speakers with amp to get the best
possible (louder and clearer) sound. I am not doing lowers or Lids or Tour Pack. Please see the link below. I thank you in advance for your support and advise.

Alex

Amazon.com Shopping Cart

I have had many PM's of fellow members wanting to sell me their current
system I haven't said "No" I am just looking at all options.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I have a set of Rockford r165 6.5 speakers for cheap if you want. I just read about a guy with Hertz speakers that came apart on one of the other forums. I thinkt eh issue was the bike shook so much the tweeter broke off teh speaker. Regardless there are a ton of great options out there. i avhe se of the Biketronics Titan II 7.1"'s on the way I'll be putting in in place of my Polks.

There are literally so many options that it can make your head spin. I'm far from the best person to ask here. I do know that.

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
I like the PBRs, but since their introduction there are better amps. If you want to stay in the same price range, check out the Soundstream nano amps, much better power supply, the amp will run cooler and provide a more consistant output. If you want to step up and stick with a small amp, check out Hawgwired.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Shark of the Month August 13
3,318 Posts
All depends on what your budget is.....

The HawgWired (a little Dbell plug :D )
And a set of Hertz HCX 165XLs

Would be more than enough to make you happy for a while ;) or you can even do a HawgWired "kit" with a set of ZXs

As far as what's in your amazon cart, I couldn't see it. But you'll need some amp wiring etc

·
Registered
26 Posts
I first set my system up with a PBR300x4 for the mids/highs and a PBR300x2 for a pair of 8s in the bags. I recently changed out to a JL XD600/6. I had no issues with the PBRs other than I wanted them to do more. They will not overpower the speakers you've chosen. The PBRs offer ease of installation, but if you have the budget I'd go with a JL XD400/4 instead.

Bobby

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All depends on what your budget is.....

The HawgWired (a little Dbell plug :D )
And a set of Hertz HCX 165XLs

Would be more than enough to make you happy for a while ;) or you can even do a HawgWired "kit" with a set of ZXs

As far as what's in your amazon cart, I couldn't see it. But you'll need some amp wiring etc
Thanks, What amp wiring should I get? Any Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Thanks, What amp wiring should I get? Any Suggestions?
Amp wiring is something I'm dealing with now... Problem is most kits come with plenty of speaker wire, remote wire, + connection but the - wire is only 3' long.. I'm wanting to run my - from the bikes ground connection by the battery.. Also most kits come with 15 or 20 foot RCA cables way to much to coil up in the fairing.... I'm piecing my wiring together, may cost a little more but it will guarantee the components are exactly what I want..... Here's a few of the pieces to the puzzle...

I guess I should add that I'm wiring in 2 amplifiers in the fairing....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Amp wiring is something I'm dealing with now... Problem is most kits come with plenty of speaker wire, remote wire, + connection but the - wire is only 3' long.. I'm wanting to run my - from the bikes ground connection by the battery.. Also most kits come with 15 or 20 foot RCA cables way to much to coil up in the fairing.... I'm piecing my wiring together, may cost a little more but it will guarantee the components are exactly what I want..... Here's a few of the pieces to the puzzle...

Amazon.com: Cadence 8G75M-RED 8 Gauge 20 Foot Red Amp Power Wire with Cool Cable Technology (Cut from a 246 Foot Spool): Car Electronics

Amazon.com: Raptor In-Line AGU Fuse Holder 4 Gauge to 8 Gauge Multi-Gauge In/Out (RPROFH-AGU): Car Electronics

Amazon.com: Stinger 8 Gauge Crimp Style Ring Terminal 2 Pair: Car Electronics

I guess I should add that I'm wiring in 2 amplifiers in the fairing....
Thanks Buddy,

So I need to buy 8 Gauge, right?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Thanks Buddy,

So I need to buy 8 Gauge, right?

It depends on which amp you go with and the output power.... I believe the PBR 300x2 has 10 gauge inputs but the sound stream PN2.350D has 8 gauge terminals..... If it were me I'd do 8 Gauge, just in case you decide to upgrade later down the road......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts