Road Glide banner

15981 - 16000 of 16002 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
If I do fillers they will be ciro’s.
I don't think I'm talking fillers.
Instead of having the plastic plug for the antenna holes, they make LED lights now to "plug" the hole. Was thinking on your particular set up those would look good. They function as stop and turn also.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Since the initial trip to the dyno with the Fueling 543 cams had been a tad disappointing due to (as discussed with dyno guy) a somewhat morphodite air cleaner configuration and OEM injectors that were a bit too close to their limits... I replaced the mildly borked SE Heavy Breather intake with a brand new S&S unit, and installed a set of bigger Fuel Moto injectors.

So were the (decade in service) OEM injectors just too old, or were they too small... Well, at this point, I don't really know, and I don't really care. Because after making a few adjustments to the current tune and taking her around the block ... It became rather quickly apparent, that they were - definitely - too something. Trixie was smooth before, but now - with the new 5.3 gm/s injectors - she was Laissez-faire smooth. She was hella responsive, she obviously wanted to stretch her legs...and I have absolute shit for impulse control.

Short shifting to 4th going up a steep hill, I brought her in at roughly 1,500RPM's and rolled the throttle wide open ... At which point she promptly took - the fuck - off...

At 1,900 RPM's I could feel the cam really starting to come alive (as...advertised..).

At 2,300RPM's I could feel the - freight train level - rush of torque trying to force me into the back seat.

At 3,500RPM's I noticed that the front wheel was starting to feel awfully light - Now...this is quite new...

At 4,000RPM's she was still - steering=vague - showing absolutely no signs of letting up...for shit!

At 5,000RPM's I was cresting the hill, at somewhere in the vicinity of 100MPH, and the only noticeable change - from the new and radically improved status quo - was that the front wheel had finally decided to settle down a bit.

I do believe - at this point - we could be on to something...

·
Registered
542 Posts
I don't think I'm talking fillers.
Instead of having the plastic plug for the antenna holes, they make LED lights now to "plug" the hole. Was thinking on your particular set up those would look good. They function as stop and turn also.
I’ll check em out. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Since the initial trip to the dyno with the Fueling 543 cams had been a tad disappointing due to (as discussed with dyno guy) a somewhat morphodite air cleaner configuration and OEM injectors that were a bit too close to their limits... I replaced the mildly borked SE Heavy Breather intake with a brand new S&S unit, and installed a set of bigger Fuel Moto injectors.

So were the (decade in service) OEM injectors just too old, or were they too small... Well, at this point, I don't really know, and I don't really care. Because after making a few adjustments to the current tune and taking her around the block ... It became rather quickly apparent, that they were - definitely - too something. Trixie was smooth before, but now - with the new 5.3 gm/s injectors - she was Laissez-faire smooth. She was hella responsive, she obviously wanted to stretch her legs...and I have absolute shit for impulse control.

Short shifting to 4th going up a steep hill, I brought her in at roughly 1,500RPM's and rolled the throttle wide open ... At which point she promptly took - the fuck - off...

At 1,900 RPM's I could feel the cam really starting to come alive (as...advertised..).

At 2,300RPM's I could feel the - freight train level - rush of torque trying to force me into the back seat.

At 3,500RPM's I noticed that the front wheel was starting to feel awfully light - Now...this is quite new...

At 4,000RPM's she was still - steering=vague - showing absolutely no signs of letting up...for shit!

At 5,000RPM's I was cresting the hill, at somewhere in the vicinity of 100MPH, and the only noticeable change - from the new and radically improved status quo - was that the front wheel had finally decided to settle down a bit.

I do believe - at this point - we could be on to something...
When an injector is too small, the ecm makes up for it with a longer on pulse. And than can have an adverse effect on injector timing. With a higher flow injector, the fuel can be delivered in a short burst exactly when its needed.

As far as age goes, that's more about the spray pattern degrading over time, ot the pintle seat leaking a little from wear.

·
Registered
860 Posts
When an injector is too small, the ecm makes up for it with a longer on pulse. And than can have an adverse effect on injector timing. With a higher flow injector, the fuel can be delivered in a short burst exactly when its needed.

As far as age goes, that's more about the spray pattern degrading over time, ot the pintle seat leaking a little from wear.
Understood...

I don't know what the original owner ran (I'm the second), but from 38-75k everything in the area is 10% ethanol ... Which tends to be hard on shit from what I hear. Lots of short hops in town don't help either. So it's most likely a mix of the two - The cams aren't supposed to need larger injectors...but the old girl sure as hell needed something because the dyno runs were dropping off 1,000RPM's before the cams were supposed to peak (according to both Fueling and Fuel Moto).

All of Trixie's Stage 1 runs looked perfect, but when asked for more ... She called bullshit.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Understood...

I don't know what the original owner ran (I'm the second), but from 38-75k everything in the area is 10% ethanol ... Which tends to be hard on shit from what I hear. Lots of short hops in town don't help either. So it's most likely a mix of the two - The cams aren't supposed to need larger injectors...but the old girl sure as hell needed something because the dyno runs were dropping off 1,000RPM's before the cams were supposed to peak (according to both Fueling and Fuel Moto).

All of Trixie's Stage 1 runs looked perfect, but when asked for more ... She called bullshit.
Where the power falls off is a relationship between a lot of things. And how they work together. 96's and 103's use heads designed to have high velocity at mid range rpms. So they fall off at higher rpms. Some cams are ground to hedge this a little by holding the intake valve open longer. Most cams just assume you fix the heads. The 543 Reaper is a compromise grind, it'll be a little soft at 2000 and be falling off at 4500. 95/90 is what you would expect to get on an otherwise stage 1 96 with a good flowing exhaust. If you want more "light on the front wheel" you need to look to a cam with an earlier valve intake valve closing. Then add some lift to keep it pulling past 5000. With winter upon us, and lots of time to wrench, I might try a set of MR 103's in it.

IIWUY, I might also take a stroll through the fuel delivery system. See what the pressure is static and then see what if is under load, if it falls off as demand goes up, then something is up in the tank.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Where the power falls off is a relationship between a lot of things. And how they work together. 96's and 103's use heads designed to have high velocity at mid range rpms. So they fall off at higher rpms. Some cams are ground to hedge this a little by holding the intake valve open longer. Most cams just assume you fix the heads. The 543 Reaper is a compromise grind, it'll be a little soft at 2000 and be falling off at 4500. 95/90 is what you would expect to get on an otherwise stage 1 96 with a good flowing exhaust. If you want more "light on the front wheel" you need to look to a cam with an earlier valve intake valve closing. Then add some lift to keep it pulling past 5000. With winter upon us, and lots of time to wrench, I might try a set of MR 103's in it.

IIWUY, I might also take a stroll through the fuel delivery system. See what the pressure is static and then see what if is under load, if it falls off as demand goes up, then something is up in the tank.
I wouldn't mind if it fell off at 4,500, but on the initial dyno runs she peaked early at 3,500RPM's with roughly 98tq and fell off sharply 35-40 degree angle downward, which is way to early for that cam. The HP curve went up smooth until about 5,000, and did a 90 degree drop-off of slightly over 10HP...and then leveled out until about 6,200RPM's. Adding fuel had no effect, and dyno guy said it was breathing issue. Knowing what I did about the morphodite air cleaner...(spigot was partially blocking filter to fit behind lowers)...I agreed.

Trixie is my get to work daily driver, so I'm not looking to push her that hard, just adding a bit of pep... But I would like to get as much as I can out of the cams without having to take the engine apart.

Note: Living in Florida, Trixie is my primary transportation...so down time is a no-no..

Next trip to the dyno will decide if I hold here, or start pondering the in the tank bits. I really don't want to go with a larger intake and risk losing the low-end performance that I rather enjoy playing with. But I need her to stay frisky above 5,000 for when I start playing in the twisties.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ciro light upgrade is done. Thinking I have enough lights now to repel the idiots that at least watch the road in front of them.

View attachment 420295 View attachment 420295 View attachment 420297 View attachment 420298
Removed my tail light/turn signals preparing for my ciro tail light & plate holder to arrive tomorrow. What a PITA those bolts up in the fender are. The factory went overkill on the thread lock for those which didn’t make it any easier to get off.

Anyway, new light should be on tomorrow then off for a ride. 65 here tomorrow. Yesterday didn’t make it out of the 30’s.
Would you be interested in selling your original rear light housing ?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hello guys
Modification of my rear suspensions by EMC, at the front kit progressive suspensions and finally change of the water pump by a PIERBURG.
Have a nice day

·
Registered
83 Posts
Not today but yesterday....left my buddies house after watching some football on TV. It was dark and I live 2.5 miles away so not too worried even though I don't drive at night. Well I drove across an intersection that was getting re-surfaced. There was about 2.5 inches difference in height from the road I was on to the road I was crossing. Talk about a jolt. I felt my forks bottom out and the front rim slam into the raised lip of asphalt. The back tire hit and almost bucked me off. I was going about 30 mph.

It was a highway so I quickly pulled over to see my tire with a flashlight and it seemed fine. Luckily no traffic and I drove home slowly. I didn't feel any vibrations or weird movement through the handlebars so I thought it as fine. Well I got the bike home and into the garage. Then I saw the bent front rim! Dammit!!!

Anyone else ever have this experience?

Called the insurance and filing a claim. Here in Texas, The Tx DOT is not responsible for any property damage as a result of their road work. Only if there is personal injury. What a crock....now I'm out of a motorcycle for a few weeks at least. It's still good riding season in west texas.....unusually warmer than normal.

I'll be turning it in to Harley Davidson dealer out here for the work. No other option I guess. I'll ask that thy look over the front forks and rear tire/ rim too. Thinking about a 21" front tire but don't think HD will do it. They will only replace with stock parts, right?

·
Registered
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
1,200 Posts
^ a larger rim will equate to a thinner tire, which brings a higher chance of bent rims down the road; you see these bent rims posted online more than I'd be comfortable with rolling. If the road crews leave it this way in your area, I'd be looking the other way - going to a smaller rim and larger tire. Our roads can have those large lips left as well, as we need to redo our roads often due to the winters, and I have been bucked a few times not seeing the lips at night; I thank my old 16" rims and pillow tires every time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
^ a larger rim will equate to a thinner tire, which brings a higher chance of bent rims down the road; you see these bent rims posted online more than I'd be comfortable with rolling. If the road crews leave it this way in your area, I'd be looking the other way - going to a smaller rim and larger tire. Our roads can have those large lips left as well, as we need to redo our roads often due to the winters, and I have been bucked a few times not seeing the lips at night; I thank my old 16" rims and pillow tires every time.
Good point! I didn’t think about that until you mentioned it. But those 21”rims look good! Decisions...... I’ll probably stay the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
Good point! I didn’t think about that until you mentioned it. But those 21”rims look good! Decisions...... I’ll probably stay the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jm, check with Your Insurance Company.
I had a similar incident a few years ago that caused my 21" front wheel to dent and axle to break and everything was covered by insurance.
Mike U.

15981 - 16000 of 16002 Posts