Road Glide banner

16161 - 16180 of 16240 Posts

·
Registered
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
1,388 Posts
Iam happy, If your happy with your purchase.
As a welder for 45 yrs, I'll just say this and let it go.
If the cover pass on a weld is ground flush, polished or buff'd off...something is up. Usually ugly

** I've thought about posting this for a few minutes, not looking to getting into a pissing match
Just having dealt with welding inspectors for years on hospitals, brewery's, paper mills, water treatment plants, printing plants , powerhouses ( conventional & Nuclear)
Hope you don't take this the wrong way, just my experience**
Yes, I welded for years as well and understand that concept. However, there are times/applications where you can make the function and form work for you; making a perfectly smooth and coated or chromed Harley exhaust with thick enough tubing to be perfectly smooth and mirror finish is far from ugly - it is workmanship in my eyes; with dedication to doing it right, not ugly.

·
Registered
2020 Scorched Orange RG Limited
138 Posts
I added Oberon clutch and break levers earlier in the week but rode with them for the first time today. I was concerned it wouldn't be worth the cost but I have to say that they exceeded my expectations.
I’ve had those levers in the cart for a few days now. Having a hard time pulling the trigger for $275 or so.... post up a few pics when you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
I’ve had those levers in the cart for a few days now. Having a hard time pulling the trigger for $275 or so.... post up a few pics when you can.

Love the adjustability and excellent build quality. Been using them at least a year and a half now. Don't look to bad either.....

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
What’s up Riders? Been a minute since I’ve been on. Love seeing all the mods!

I did a small but necessary removal of lower fork reflectors today. Can’t believe I waited this long to do it. Gives it a much better look that will suffice for now until I can afford the new front end and fatty!

Stay safe out there! Can’t ride in Indiana currently!

Reactions: Bruce00 and Mike U

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Got out today with a couple others for our weekly Polar Bear Grand Tour ride. With state quarantines, its been challenging. Did 170 miles by taking a longer way home, rode up to High Point State Park for a group pic....lots of salt on the roads. Have a detailer coming to the house this week for a steam wash, paint correction and ceramic coating for Raquel, so all is good.......

·
Registered
278 Posts
That looks cold

Reactions: Bruce00

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Oh and btw, thats Charlie, second from the left with the Vtwin Yamaha that has more torque than anything :LOL: :p :LOL:
2 2020 Harleys and 2 Goldwings today

·
Registered
27 Posts

I attached a couple of closeups...the lighting wasn't awesome so they may be a little fuzzy. If you want better ones let me know.

If you want to pull the trigger, go through the UK location. I got the standard levers, which I don't believe the US location sells, for $227 with shipping included. Part Numbers:

LEV-B140-1 (Brake)
LEV-C400-1 (Clutch)

20210111_094020.jpg 20210111_094038.jpg

·
Registered
163 Posts
New seat and chin spoiler
13779157-774A-4D48-9B2E-6DF380CEE09E.jpeg

I ordered an 11” matching sissy bar pad. I’m digging the seat so far.

edit: yes I am taking down the Christmas lights today

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Yes, I welded for years as well and understand that concept. However, there are times/applications where you can make the function and form work for you; making a perfectly smooth and coated or chromed Harley exhaust with thick enough tubing to be perfectly smooth and mirror finish is far from ugly - it is workmanship in my eyes; wi
Iam happy, If your happy with your purchase.
As a welder for 45 yrs, I'll just say this and let it go.
If the cover pass on a weld is ground flush, polished or buff'd off...something is up. Usually ugly

** I've thought about posting this for a few minutes, not looking to getting into a pissing match
Just having dealt with welding inspectors for years on hospitals, brewery's, paper mills, water treatment plants, printing plants , powerhouses ( conventional & Nuclear)
Hope you don't take this the wrong way, just my experience**
I agree with you Bruce. I also spent many years dealing with inspectors in nukes, mills, chip plants. If you take a grinder to a finished weld in a chip plant you might as well just cut it apart. The pipe, tubing, in chip plants is more like exhaust thickness. If you are going to sand it all down and polish it for chrome ok. If you sand it down so you cant see the "UH-Oh", then that's not good. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Bruce00 and Zedbra

·
Registered
278 Posts
I agree with you Bruce. I also spent many years dealing with inspectors in nukes, mills, chip plants. If you take a grinder to a finished weld in a chip plant you might as well just cut it apart. The pipe, tubing, in chip plants is more like exhaust thickness. If you are going to sand it all down and polish it for chrome ok. If you sand it down so you cant see the "UH-Oh", then that's not good. Just my opinion.

Here’s a close up of the rear header and the tig welds. Looks pretty nice to me. In the interest of learning, what do you pros think of it?

Reactions: Zedbra

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
View attachment 422232

Here’s a close up of the rear header and the tig welds. Looks pretty nice to me. In the interest of learning, what do you pros think of it?
I’m by no means a an expert but I work at a Chemical plant where we had a damn good one. Those look like good beads to me.

Reactions: Bigmeat45

·
Registered
5 Posts
New seat and chin spoiler
View attachment 422227

View attachment 422228

I ordered an 11” matching sissy bar pad. I’m digging the seat so far.

edit: yes I am taking down the Christmas lights today
SWFLGuy,

Could you fill me in on what make, model and height your bars are? I'm not digging the stock bars and the extreme wrist angle. I need something for a straighter wrist hold and those look like they would work in a traditional non-spiked bar. Thank you and very nice ride you have there.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
First understand, its just an exhaust pipe. all that weld is doing is holding pipe bends together. The spacing is nice is some places, but welding inspectors don't look at the nice parts.....LOL,
They look at the starts and stops, tie-ins, undercut. etc. and on stainless you want the "rainbow" to be uniform along the edge of your cover pass. Took much heat (large blue area) and you burn the nickel out, too little (no color) and you have the chance of inclusion in your weld. These are fusion welds, which are butted together and one pass. It does look like there was material added to the pass. Where as, in breweries and food process, no added material is allowed. Stainless welding is a completely different beast, and then when you factor in the different grades of stainless, the procedure varies
I spent a total of 6 1/2 yrs at 3 Budweiser breweries, and Jim Dunkin, Budweisers head welding inspector would have alot to say about those. He traveled the country to all the large expansion jobs BUT we aren't talking about process piping.here
They are excellent for an exhaust pipe, and one I would proudly put on my scoot.
I will say, the welder should have turned the purge up a little to turn that concave to a convex pass

·
Registered
163 Posts
SWFLGuy,

Could you fill me in on what make, model and height your bars are? I'm not digging the stock bars and the extreme wrist angle. I need something for a straighter wrist hold and those look like they would work in a traditional non-spiked bar. Thank you and very nice ride you have there.
Thanks for the compliment! The bars are 12” KST straight jackets.

16161 - 16180 of 16240 Posts