Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

17141 - 17160 of 17218 Posts

·
Registered
2020 RGL
372 Posts
Did my usual weekend ride...but had to talk the better/smarter half into going..
HER.... looks like its going to rain today
ME....no its hit and miss
HER...O.K. but I really think we should stay in and do something else
ME... no where good look at the radar
HER...O.K
ME....a hour into our ride then a down pour (what the hell!!!!)
HER.....you never listen
ME.... and you still go along with what I say I guess thats why we been married for 38 years
HER.....you should be damn glad I like going out on this bike

Life is good...enjoy the journey!!!!

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
After several weeks, the wait was over - after my rain ride yesterday I went to the Post Office and alas arrived a little box from Zippers; my Sportsman Bandit clutch finally arrived in the snail mail. Shamelessly, I got all giddy at the Post Office and wasted no time in making room in the garage for the hoist to get into position. Spent the night tearing out the Rekluse clutch that I just couldn't seem to find a happy moment with and got to work with the new hardware.

While in there, I added a new Pingle greaseable shift shaft, a new Arlen Ness front shift arm, and my new shift linkage that has been a slow work in progress. Had a stupid blonde moment at 10:30 at night when I mounted the shift linkage at the front on the inside of the shift arm and couldn't figure out why the nut was hitting my motor fins; After 4 hours of sleep my eyes popped open as I realized what I was doing wrong. I'm old enough now to know when I need to walk away and sleep on it.

The workmanship on this clutch is impressive. It uses it's own clutch hub that needs to get pressed in, so I also had bought a brand new clutch assembly so that I could always swap in my Rekluse or another regular clutch when/if needed.

View attachment 427876

The clutch plates on this baby are huge in width - Sportsman says this clutch offers 217% more clutch plate friction surface; hence the need for their own inner clutch hub

View attachment 427877

The hardware just before the initial test ride. I wanted to get two 2" shift linkage extensions for the copper rod I had made up, but I couldn't find any in stock up North here, so I added a 4" extension for now. Figured I'd get that done early before the rain started again - which it did, just as I got home from a quick 30km rip. The clutch is butter smooth, I think I'm gonna love it more as time goes on. I do need to remember to give more throttle when starting from a stop again - the Rekluse enabled slow throttle on every start and after 2 years it has formed a habit that needs to whipped out.

View attachment 427878

I also have been putting off replacing my rear brake pressure switch, as it had been acting up when it got hot. Reason for the procrastination? Hello 2:1 exhaust bracket for the block. Anyways, using a few different socket pieces, managed to pull it out without a wrench needed on the switch, though installing it was a wonderful display of contorted hand motions, looking like I was trying to learn sign language. The job only took about 30 minutes to my surprise, I had been thinking all along that I was gonna have to pull the rear of the exhaust and the mounting bracket on my trap door.

View attachment 427879

And here is my wonderful blonde moment with the shift linkage on the wrong side. Wrenching can sure keep you humble. Walk away - sleep on it - problem was fixed this morning in 15 minutes.

View attachment 427880
Glad to know Iam not the only one who wakes up in the middle of the night, remembering what I did wrong.....LOL
Which is nightly for me

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Can't say I have. Down since mid April due to bag incident. Really grating on my nerves, paying for a bike I can't ride. It's like alimony. Just breathe and look forward to September ride...
Don't know a thing about alimony......

I've rode my bike plenty of times with both bags removed. I could care less what it looks like, because it sure rides the same to me, especially in 6th @ 75

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Just got back from a 75 mile ride. Ever had one of those days that you should of took the cage or stayed home?

Yup. Had one of those days. Turned into a side street to come home. Hit a tar snake. Slid the front out and I thought it was going down. It didn't. From then home it just felt like the front tire I'd flat. Got home and checked the pressures. Both perfect. Checked the front tire. Nothing I can see or feel wrong.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
I can't count the number of times my asshole slammed shut because of the tar snakes here. Its so bad, there are neighborhood streets I will not ride down during the summer months.

There is one road I take heading over to the PA state line that has a sharp curve with a ton of tar snakes, I take it at 25 mph after hitting a snake and sliding to the next one, then sliding to the next one, till I thought I was going off-roading....not fun

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have had them for about two weeks. So far they have been extremely useful and I am pretty pleased with them. I put my wallet and my phone on one side and sunscreen and my prescription regular glasses on the other.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's awesome! I spoke with them an unfortunately the only thing I can use is the shelf, as the RF system/amp and the holes that are cut are not yet compatible my my scoot. Well that'll save me some money for now. lol Enjoy.

Reactions: Oclaf

·
Registered
324 Posts
Took a nice ride up from Central Indiana to Lake Michigan and Michigan City, IN. Figured I might as well see while I’m Still here before I move back to my home state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
324 Posts
Not sure if I’ve posted yet or not, but just in case, got the new shift linkage installed last weekend. Love the way it turned out!! Major thanks to BossFabbLLC in Detroit for the great custom work.

·
Registered
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
2,005 Posts
Took a nice ride up from Central Indiana to Lake Michigan and Michigan City, IN. Figured I might as well see while I’m Still here before I move back to my home state.

You're missing one of your bolts on your Trask intake.

·
Registered
324 Posts
You're missing one of your bolts on your Trask intake.
Yeah I know. I stripped it out during install last year. Just haven’t orders a new one pack yet lol

Reactions: Zedbra

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Yeah I know. I stripped it out during install last year. Just haven’t orders a new one pack yet lol

I know the replacement parts aren’t cheap. Have you tried tapping it out?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Not sure if I’ve posted yet or not, but just in case, got the new shift linkage installed last weekend. Love the way it turned out!! Major thanks to BossFabbLLC in Detroit for the great custom work.

That looks great. They’re on sale too.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I know the replacement parts aren’t cheap. Have you tried tapping it out?
Replacement parts aren’t that expensive actually. I think it’s around $40 for a whole new set of the screws and the “pins” that hold the front part in place. I havent even though about tapping it out honestly. May try that though!

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I can't count the number of times my asshole slammed shut because of the tar snakes here. Its so bad, there are neighborhood streets I will not ride down during the summer months.

There is one road I take heading over to the PA state line that has a sharp curve with a ton of tar snakes, I take it at 25 mph after hitting a snake and sliding to the next one, then sliding to the next one, till I thought I was going off-roading....not fun
Haha... I hate those. Was going to go out tonight and make sure nothing is wrong between me ans the bike, but it's darker than shit and thundering like bad here. So maybe tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2018 FLTRX
309 Posts

I put the legend revo A’s on a week ago. Spent the weekend barhoping on the ski, so today was the fronts. I was given the heads up with the 12mm socket, however I ran into a Allen wrench issue. I only have 3sets of the standard sizes. I was able to use a bolt for the top, but need a store run for the drain. Size matters.

oh.. I got pissed with the tool issue and called HD, they quoted 2.5 hours for an off the bike install..... I can fuck up my own shit perfectly fine for less.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
I put the legend revo A’s on a week ago. Spent the weekend barhoping on the ski, so today was the fronts. I was given the heads up with the 12mm socket, however I ran into a Allen wrench issue. I only have 3sets of the standard sizes. I was able to use a bolt for the top, but need a store run for the drain. Size matters.

oh.. I got pissed with the tool issue and called HD, they quoted 2.5 hours for an off the bike install..... I can fuck up my own shit perfectly fine for less.
my dealer only charged me an hour for the 'off the bike' install. like you, i didn't have the long 12mm allen and didn't want to wait until it would come in from ordering. i had already looked all over town and no one had one.

·
Premium Member
2018 FLTRX
309 Posts
my dealer only charged me an hour for the 'off the bike' install. like you, i didn't have the long 12mm allen and didn't want to wait until it would come in from ordering. i had already looked all over town and no one had one.
Yea, I remembered reading that and had him clarify it was for forks off the bike.
I should be able to dig one up tomorrow.... allot of stores with 40 miles.

17141 - 17160 of 17218 Posts