Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
18741 - 18760 of 18806 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,848 Posts
Dang - some of y'all make me feel like a poor man in a rich man's game.

Not only do I work off the floor with a jack and some wood, but these garages, the land some of y'all have, and then these builds.....

:)
i feel the same way. some of these shops with their epoxy floors that you could eat off of. damn, makes me jealous. but i couldn't do it, too much moisture comes up from underneath, got some cracks in the garage floor, etc.

i do admit though, that i do have a penchant for tools. if it's something that i'm going to use enough to justify the cost, i'm okay with it. my j&s jack, i bought that in person from a harley shop in wi. with military discount, it was $320. looked at their price now and about had a heart attack.

i paid the monies for a no mar tire changer. it's paid for itself the few times that i've used it. (except for the labor, damn that thing has a steep learning curve and it aint gonna be a quick 1 hr tire change. but i'm cheap, i can give up some time in exchange for saving money).

i also bought the techno research centurion tool. that one, well, while it hasn't paid for itself, yet, i do like having the ability to flash my bike without having to go to the dealer. plus, it will cycle the abs, so every couple/three months i will cycle the abs module. hoping i can keep it in good shape longer and not have any abs issues. so far so good.

·
Super Moderator
13,268 Posts
Not today, but this weekend. I got my bike back with a brand new 131, so I’m back on the road. One slight problem……I have a black engine instead of chrome, but I can live with that. If I want to change, I do have my old engine.

·
Registered
2018 Road Glide Special-Wicked Red
1,663 Posts
Not today, but this weekend. I got my bike back with a brand new 131, so I’m back on the road. One slight problem……I have a black engine instead of chrome, but I can live with that. If I want to change, I do have my old engine.
Error on they're end or miscommunication?

Reactions: RFG7680

·
Super Moderator
5,541 Posts
Good to hear David… BTW Black is faster.

·
Super Moderator
13,268 Posts
Error on they're end or miscommunication?
Error on their end, I didn’t see it until the bike was ready. WO clearly states black/chrome. At this point with all the supply issues I was just glad to have my bike and definitely not trying to wait for another engine or go through the hoops that would probably be necessary. I’m really happy to have the bike back in one month.

·
Registered
2018 Road Glide Special-Wicked Red
1,663 Posts
Error on their end, I didn’t see it until the bike was ready. WO clearly states black/chrome. At this point with all the supply issues I was just glad to have my bike and definitely not trying to wait for another engine or go through the hoops that would probably be necessary. I’m really happy to have the bike back in one month.
I hear ya. If nothing else, have them give you some sort of discount or accessory. Doesn't hurt to ask.

·
Administrator
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
4,295 Posts
Alright - let's put modesty right the Hell aside and lemme tell ya my blonde moment du jour. I tried to do a 'quick' 3 hole swap with my fluids the other day, that didn't work out well as my Arlen Ness reusable filter decided it wanted to stay put, right there and then.

While I dumping in the new Liqui Moly, my friend (and also local Snap-On dealer - watch out) showed up, and I didn't pay attention to the dangle of the jangle and all 4 litres went into the case. No biggie - this 110 burns it, so let it have something to burn - right? This is the blonde moment of not comprehending reality of physics - cuz f the science - just make it go and go now!

Did a short run last night - all good, shifting like butter. Rode into work today, about 110km one way, and half way through I reach down for my coffee mug and while I was expecting a refreshing taste of java, I got a light blend of oil and gas; look down and the whole left side of my bike is soaked in oil. Yeah, that oil case breather I put on last year from the oil dipstick to the top of the jugs worked really - like really well. Oil bloody everywhere - bag, seat, jeans, Tour Pak, jugs - it was a medley of oil smoldering smells. Stopped to clean it, pulled the breather plug and put the dipstick back in, but the damage was done; got puked on a few more times that day as the bike got hot from all the residual oil, and when I got home a can and a half of brake cleaner cleaned the jugs and my driveway.

Don't be me; don't think 4 litres in the case is 'no big deal cuz I have a by-pass and breather'. Or, do that and punch your blonde card, I welcome more to the Club. Only good note - I caught up to my buddy on the 110km ride home, he came to my place, and Jack Daniels was also the flavour du jour amongst friends.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Alright - let's put modesty right the Hell aside and lemme tell ya my blonde moment du jour. .....
That's just friggin' awful to contemplate, but I completely get how it happens. In my case I'd be full of self-hatred and loathing for about 3 days. My wife would tell me "At least a blonde has an excuse."...and then she would dive in to help me clean things up.

I would have a very short career as a helicopter mechanic.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
After losing my front wheel bearings earlier this year riding the Blue Ridge parkway :oops:(that sucked bad!), decided to get the rear bearings replaced also to play it safe before Appleton. .Figured with all of the miles on the bike, and peace of mind, to replace the drive belt (original one) Thankfully, while apart, the Indy noticed the sprockets were really worn bad. Better to change everything while apart! UGH more money I don’t have. What sucks is now we are waiting on the compensator bolt. (recommended to replace it every time compensator is removed) Harley said its backordered until September!! WTF???:mad: Indy ordered it from the UK! Hopefully on the road again within a week. I think my credit card melted from this “maintenance”.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Tire

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
I got a few friends together and we went out to the location that a friend of mine died while riding last Sunday. I haven't really been able to talk much about it, he was my best friend and we rode many many miles together. He had either a heart attack or stroke and was out before going into the ditch, it took us a little while to find him and though we started CPR and an off-duty paramedic showed up, we couldn't bring back my friend.

View attachment 442576
View attachment 442577

Here was a picture from last Sunday, taken about 10 minutes before my friend passed away. He is the fellow with the red hat and the yellow and black Electra Glide.

View attachment 442578
Condolences to you, his friends and family
May he RIP

·
Administrator
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
4,295 Posts
After losing my front wheel bearings earlier this year riding the Blue Ridge parkway :oops:(that sucked bad!), decided to get the rear bearings replaced also to play it safe before Appleton. .Figured with all of the miles on the bike, and peace of mind, to replace the drive belt (original one) Thankfully, while apart, the Indy noticed the sprockets were really worn bad. Better to change everything while apart! UGH more money I don’t have. What sucks is now we are waiting on the compensator bolt. (recommended to replace it every time compensator is removed) Harley said its backordered until September!! WTF???:mad: Indy ordered it from the UK! Hopefully on the road again within a week. I think my credit card melted from this “maintenance”.
View attachment 442753
I had never heard about replacing the comp bolt every time, I know my Indy certainly didn't with the bikes he worked on. I've had my comp off a few times - I heat it for several minutes to break the red loctite and then crack that mofo with my Snap On drive, clean the threads when it cools down with a brass wire brush, and reinstall. Now I'm gonna go check my manual.

edit - checked my manual and it just says to clean the comp bolt and add red loctite if reusing - which is all I have ever done prior. I now have a Baker comp, but will reuse their bolt when/if needed.

Font Book Automotive tire Circle Paper

Font Book Writing Paper product Paper

·
Super Moderator
5,541 Posts
I had never heard about replacing the comp bolt every time, I know my Indy certainly didn't with the bikes he worked on. I've had my comp off a few times - I heat it for several minutes to break the red loctite and then crack that mofo with my Snap On drive, clean the threads when it cools down with a brass wire brush, and reinstall. Now I'm gonna go check my manual.

edit - checked my manual and it just says to clean the comp bolt and add red loctite if reusing - which is all I have ever done prior. I now have a Baker comp, but will reuse their bolt when/if needed.

View attachment 442755
View attachment 442754
Replacing the Compensator bolt had me wondering too. I replaced the Comp in my Wife’s 2012 a couple years ago and didn’t remember changing the bolt. Thanks for the ease of mind and clarification Ian.

Reactions: Zedbra and Mischief

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I had never heard about replacing the comp bolt every time,
Only a Bolt so i didnt question it. It is already coming from overseas. At this point, ill just wait for it ..............
Unless it is stuck at a loading dock somewhere :rolleyes:

The hourly rate he is charging me, I really dont mind. (rate you never see at any dealership;))

18741 - 18760 of 18806 Posts