Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
18761 - 18780 of 18806 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,268 Posts
Only a Bolt so i didnt question it. It is already coming from overseas. At this point, ill just wait for it ..............
Unless it is stuck at a loading dock somewhere :rolleyes:

The hourly rate he is charging me, I really dont mind. (rate you never see at any dealership;))
Did you try calling around to other dealerships? I replaced mine a couple of months ago when I did my stator and the dealer had a few in stock. If I remember correctly it was around $5, couldn’t believe something from HD could be that cheap, lol.

·
Administrator
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
4,295 Posts
Only a Bolt so i didnt question it. It is already coming from overseas. At this point, ill just wait for it ..............
Unless it is stuck at a loading dock somewhere :rolleyes:

The hourly rate he is charging me, I really dont mind. (rate you never see at any dealership;))
They do recommend NOT to use an impact, because if you don't heat the bolt well enough, you can strip it when trying to loosen it with the torque. You sure your bud didn't give it the smack and you actually now NEED a bolt?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Changed the oils... ordered a few more Arlen Ness bits and some brake pads to change with my new tires in the mail.

Reactions: mjsdouble

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
So after a minor mishap involving too much grease for a full 52 roller kit, Alice needed a new set of - let's call them slightly singed - steels ... And up on the lift she went.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle

She is now a much happy camper, and behaved flawlessly on her - maiden? - test run around the block. Probably because she was promised to be my primary mount for all of next week if she behaved.

She's been sitting for about 8 months; no battery tender, same old (87 octane) gas ... I didn't even drain the bowl to give her a fighting chance. But she's a low compression (like 7.4:1) Shovel, and I'd dare to say she'd probably run just fine on a stout German beer, if she got a crack at it.

Off the lift (with 8 months of dust), no charging, half choke, 6 - full stroke - pumps on the throttle, hit the starter once ... And she popped off the third time she rolled over... Rump, rump, vroom!

They just don't make a sled more loyal than an old Shovel. She's been rode hard, put up wet, and ain't never made a blink about when asked for more ... She Friggin Likes IT!

For the curious: Alice is a 1981 FLTC (sleeper) TourGlide ... And she doesn't have a fucking clue what the word "stock" means.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Replaced the head light module after the left low beam called it quits (covered under warranty). Also installed Custom Dynamics Low Profile Bagz LED Saddlebag Lights.

Reactions: kunzjob

·
Registered
423 Posts
Just received thesetoday. Going to install the Oberons first and check the clutch pull, then if not enough reduction in pull I'll install the Rekluse slave cyl. My goal is to reduce the clutch pull while hopefully maintaining how I ride with pinky and ring fingers on the grips,and the other two covering the levers, and the reason for the adjustable levers. I think the Rekluse may put the initial friction engagement/disengagement point closer to the grip. The Oberons are a little pricey but the quality and design are second to none...

White Office equipment Office supplies Font Gas
Camera accessory Bicycle part Rim Auto part Circle

Mirror Picture frame Jewellery Serveware Font

String instrument Guitar accessory Tool Musical instrument accessory String instrument accessory

Bicycle part Automotive exterior Composite material Bumper Automotive design

Leg Camera accessory Fashion accessory Auto part Metal

Attachments

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Just received thesetoday. Going to install the Oberons first and check the clutch pull, then if not enough reduction in pull I'll install the Rekluse slave cyl. My goal is to reduce the clutch pull while hopefully maintaining how I ride with pinky and ring fingers on the grips,and the other two covering the levers, and the reason for the adjustable levers. I think the Rekluse may put the initial friction engagement/disengagement point closer to the grip. The Oberons are a little pricey but the quality and design are second to none...

View attachment 443141 View attachment 443147
View attachment 443146
View attachment 443145

View attachment 443144
View attachment 443142
Keep us posted. I have the rekluse slave and definitely like it. Added FLO levers and they hit the housing and don’t get a full pull. Either going back stock or something else

Reactions: GmaninAZ

·
Registered
423 Posts
Keep us posted. I have the rekluse slave and definitely like it. Added FLO levers and they hit the housing and don’t get a full pull. Either going back stock or something else
Will do. I am hoping to have enough adjustment in the levers if I do the Rekluse too.... The Oberon levers have 30mm/1.181" of total adjustment so should get me there, hopefully.
Font Electronic device Technology Rectangle Pattern

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
I replaced my broken ignition trim panel with a $16 dollar piece vs the $83 Harley wanted for the same plastic.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Carbon

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Saturday: I told Mrs Trekker we needed to test out the new trim panel part. Can't have a new part and not go for a test ride, right? Besides, the weather forecast suddenly changed from rain to NO rain, mostly sunny and seasonably cool in the mid 70s. So we hit the road just to test our new $16 horseshoe. 45 miles later it was doing great...so was the wonderfully strong M8 engine...and we decided to run toward a favorite lunch stop. The Cherry Street Pub in Lancaster, OH is one of those places that has tons of character, class and phenomenal food. The service is the best we've ever had....the place runs like a fine watch. We both ordered the Pulled Pork Mac & Cheese which we both agreed is the ideal meal for testing out new parts on a bike. After that it was back on the bike and time to go exploring. The new part needed more miles for sure.

We had learned of a winery hidden in the hills and well off the beaten path. I had some of the routes memorized and off we went. We rode through Hocking Hills which was heavy with traffic. In South Bloomingville we stopped to verify the route and I accidentally placed the bike in front of an old structure with this sign:

Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

Snapped the obligatory picture and figured I might talk to Grandma Faye later in the week.

From there it was off on some county roads which were good but required a very watchful eye due to deer, tight bridges, tighter curves and lots of blind pull-outs. We found the winery and motored up a semi-steep gravel drive to the parking area at top. Uh oh....not a great setup for a heavy bike. The entire lot was gravel and I had to keep decent momentum as I circled it. Suddenly my wife sounded the alarm, "You're heading into the soft stuff!". She was right. I mistook an area of fine, dark and soft gravel for blacktop. I stopped the bike with the nose downhill and front tire in the soft material. Backing up wasn't an option, so after some thought I carefully duck-walked the big horse into a 90 degree left turn and eventually got through the soft fill. Whew...and the new trim part handled it just fine.

I found a suitable parking spot and we headed in for a bit of vino. A couple of wine flights and a glass apiece later, we took a walk and enjoyed the rustic vineyards.

Sky Cloud Plant Land lot Building

Their wine was surprisingly good, and we decided to buy a bottle. So 4 bottles later and some fancy packing in the tour pak, we were ready for the final leg of our trim panel test ride.

Shoe Bag Grey Luggage and bags Comfort

Great ride home with zero issues and genuinely fantastic weather. My wife wants to know when we're going to do something this fun again, and I told her I need to find another part for the bike. On the other hand, I realize that little $16 part ended up costing me a LOT more than I originally estimated! But hey...that's what money is for, right?.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I installed the Oberon Adjustable Levers Thursday and the levers alone did not reduce the pull which I suspected, but actually increased by just under one pound (push) over the OEM clutch lever. Yesterday I removed the OEM clutch slave cylinder (which is Brembo branded), and installed the Rekluse slave cylinder. I made some more "push" resistance measurements with my HVAC belt tensioner gauge which is rather crude but enough to see a measurable and repeatable difference. Before changing anything I recorded an average push of about 16 lbs/just over 7 kg with the OEM lever and slave cyl measured at the lever 5" away from the center of the clutch lever pivot pin. I took it for just over a 40 mile errands ride to fine tune the Oberon adjustments to brake and clutch levers to maintain the two finger brake and clutch pulls, and to do a little break in of the Rekluse. When I went out at 10:30 it was already 99 deg. and about 104 by noon here so kept the ride short. Upon returning while everythig was still warm, I measured the push with the Oberon and Rekluse and recorded about 12.4 lbs/ 5.7 kg so a reduction somewhere between 22 and 23%. The pull is noticeably lighter and the friction zone widened and a little more forgiving and oh so smooth, although I did not have a problem with the zone before, the continuous pull was an issue in traffic jams/construction zones etc. I do feel in traffic jams/road construction or busy parking events holding and feathering the clutch for extended periods will no longer be an issue. The icing on the cake is that I maintained the two fingers clutch and brake lever pulls with the Oberons, and actually gained some advantage for the front brake by adjusting the lever one position farther out than stock setting (my fingers are longish so no problem). I have both clutch and front brake levers set at #5 of 8, where #4 is the equivalent of stock position. No problem starting in gear, finding neutral, shifting etc.; in fact I feel all are slightly improved. A definite performance improvement all around, and I think the clutch pull should get even better with some more miles.,

Blue Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire
White Blue Gas Machine Auto part
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar Automotive design Motorcycle
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design
Brush Wood Office supplies Metalworking hand tool Ruler

Attachments

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I installed the Oberon Adjustable Levers Thursday and the levers alone did not reduce the pull which I suspected, but actually increased by just under one pound (push) over the OEM clutch lever. Yesterday I removed the OEM clutch slave cylinder (which is Brembo branded), and installed the Rekluse slave cylinder. I made some more "push" resistance measurements with my HVAC belt tensioner gauge which is rather crude but enough to see a measurable and repeatable difference. Before changing anything I recorded an average push of about 16 lbs/just over 7 kg with the OEM lever and slave cyl measured at the lever 5" away from the center of the clutch lever pivot pin. I took it for just over a 40 mile errands ride to fine tune the Oberon adjustments to brake and clutch levers to maintain the two finger brake and clutch pulls, and to do a little break in of the Rekluse. When I went out at 10:30 it was already 99 deg. and about 104 by noon here so kept the ride short. Upon returning while everythig was still warm, I measured the push with the Oberon and Rekluse and recorded about 12.4 lbs/ 5.7 kg so a reduction somewhere between 22 and 23%. The pull is noticeably lighter and the friction zone widened and a little more forgiving and oh so smooth, although I did not have a problem with the zone before, the continuous pull was an issue in traffic jams/construction zones etc. I do feel in traffic jams/road construction or busy parking events holding and feathering the clutch for extended periods will no longer be an issue. The icing on the cake is that I maintained the two fingers clutch and brake lever pulls with the Oberons, and actually gained some advantage for the front brake by adjusting the lever one position farther out than stock setting (my fingers are longish so no problem). I have both clutch and front brake levers set at #5 of 8, where #4 is the equivalent of stock position. No problem starting in gear, finding neutral, shifting etc.; in fact I feel all are slightly improved. A definite performance improvement all around, and I think the clutch pull should get even better with some more miles.,

View attachment 443316 View attachment 443317 View attachment 443318 View attachment 443321 View attachment 443322
Nice write up. Thinking of switching my Flo levers out for these.

Reactions: GmaninAZ
18761 - 18780 of 18806 Posts