Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
18781 - 18800 of 18806 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Nice write up. Thinking of switching my Flo levers out for these.
Thanks. I had a set of FLO but they came with no bushings so returned them and ordered the Oberons and very happy with them. The quality, design and workmanship are second to none. You will not regret it if you do. I purchased direct from Oberon, they have the three lever styles available, and could not find this in the USA.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
After several years of searching, I found a Unicorn!

While Alice came with a "full" set of locks (minus the fairing she didn't have), they were the - 1981 - single blade locks that have to be locked to get the key out ... Which is a complete pain in the ass!

However I just found - and bought - a complete set of all 6 (bags, trunk, fairing, and gas door) NOS OEM barrel key locks that can be retrofit on Alice to give her a more current style of accessibility.

Reactions: jstucker1976

·
Registered
152 Posts
More like what did I do this week... started with a DEEP detail/cleaning, ceramic coating, all 3 oil change, pulled the wheels/tires to mount some fresh Avon Cobra Chrome, install Galfer HH pads, Custom Dynamics signal eliminator, tribar, and low profile bag lights. Still need a few things to show up before rebuilding.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
4,295 Posts
More like what did I do this week... started with a DEEP detail/cleaning, ceramic coating, all 3 oil change, pulled the wheels/tires to mount some fresh Avon Cobra Chrome, install Galfer HH pads, Custom Dynamics signal eliminator, tribar, and low profile bag lights. Still need a few things to show up before rebuilding.
Nice little list you're working on.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Put the Tour Pack back on, first time in almost a year as the wife thinks it makes the bike to heavy for me 🤦🏻‍♂️🤓. And of coarse trying to line up 50lb box on the front slots I scratched the fender. Thank god it’s under the seat, unlike the gouges the dealer done and denied it. Bla Bla ride on I won’t remember until I remove it again

• Haha
Reactions: ALMOONEY and Zedbra

·
Registered
2018 Road Glide Special-Wicked Red
1,663 Posts
Put the Tour Pack back on, first time in almost a year as the wife thinks it makes the bike to heavy for me 🤦🏻‍♂️🤓. And of coarse trying to line up 50lb box on the front slots I scratched the fender. Thank god it’s under the seat, unlike the gouges the dealer done and denied it. Bla Bla ride on I won’t remember until I remove it again
Unless it's real deep, try 2000 grit sandpaper. Lightly sand out the scratch then polish out with scratch x. Don't get freaked out when you first hit with sandpaper. You'd be amazed how well it will come out. Typically the top clear coat is what gets damaged.

Reactions: jstucker1976

·
Registered
115 Posts
I added the DK Customs catch can. It was a pretty easy job, there are lots of videos out there, the one linked below was the most helpful for me. I got the 7/16 rubber grommets and 3/4 spacer from Lowe's and a 1/4x1/4x3/8 brass T fitting from Amazon. I'll change the mounting bracket and hardware soon probably, I made use of stuff I had in the garage but it could be better.

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive design
Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle

Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motorcycle

·
Registered
944 Posts
Got out for a little 200+ mile lunch run. Amazing what a tank of gas will do for your soul!

Sent from the Rockies of Colorado.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Detailed it. Yesterday evening.
Rode it. 266 miles today.

We headed down US 23 in KY, also known as the Country Music Highway. Rode through the very Appalachian town of Prestonsburg and then over to Dewey Lake and Jenny Wiley State Resort Park. Picnicked as usual at a nice lakeside pullout. Jumped over to Inez, KY then Louisa...early Kentuckians loved to name towns for women. This is Hatfield & McCoy country and the region is dotted with various memorials, gravesites, and interesting stops. On the way home stopped for a restroom break and chatted with a bunch of riders in the parking lot. A couple of pics and we jumped back out on 23 northbound toward Ashland.

Sky Musical instrument Guitar String instrument Plant

Musical instrument Sky String instrument String instrument Guitar accessory

Rolled home earlier than expected but satisfied with a good ride. 266 in the big hills and curves will tire a guy a bit. Now it's time to fire up the charcoal and turn out a couple filet mignon.

Hope you guys got out and used up some rubber.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
After several years of searching, I found a Unicorn!

While Alice came with a "full" set of locks (minus the fairing she didn't have), they were the - 1981 - single blade locks that have to be locked to get the key out ... Which is a complete pain in the ass!

However I just found - and bought - a complete set of all 6 (bags, trunk, fairing, and gas door) NOS OEM barrel key locks that can be retrofit on Alice to give her a more current style of accessibility.
I'm just quoting myself for clarity, and updating on how it went for anyone else that might need/want to try this.

For the most part the retrofit conversion was a simple bolt-on affair, with a few "minor" exceptions:
The kit comes with 3 PN:90686-92 Cam Hooks, that Will Not Work on the early 80 (Alice...) saddlebags and TourPak. So I'm currently hunting for 3 additional PN: 53583-92 (Fairing Door Lock) Cam Hooks to - properly - complete the project. They will - I suspect - work fine on the mid to late 80's bikes, because the locks were moved from the turn signal housings to the lids in 84/85?.

I did ad-lib a few things (3...) to get everything working, but I got a hunch the TourPak lid is going to rattle a bit until I get the new - didn't have them in the early 80's... - latches installed.

The lock for the gas door, is the new (1992-2022) smaller diameter one, so it ain't gonna work either. But fortunately Alice's wasn't broken, and since it uses the ignition key...doesn't really matter because I'm still down to the normal for then 2 keys for the scoot ... And I'm okay with that.

So it's totally doable, with a few "minor" hiccups.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior
Automotive fuel system Tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Fuel tank Tire Automotive fuel system Vehicle Wheel
Had my RG for about a Year and added lots of "stuff". AvdvanBlack lowers, Foot rest extensions, HD foot pegs, Madstad Windsheild, Ciro cup holder Hand guards, Garmin XT, Speaker only upgrade, rear shift peg, shifter shaft, Muller ramp and ball clutch control and ordinary clutch cable(not harley with yellow spring mechanism) SE breather, Saddlebag bars, Tour Pak and accessories ( mounting hardware, locking mechanism, wire harness. Saddlemen Road sofa, Harley mid frame deflectores, and HD fan. Also HD fan for the stock oil cooler/radiator. KST Pathfinder handlebars, new grips. I also added wire/power harness to the right side of the bike. The power is actually going to the left saddlebag. I do have the list of the brand names in front of me and I bet I forgot something too!! hahah

18781 - 18800 of 18806 Posts