Road Glide banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really trying to understand this audio stuff. I have a 2012 FLTRXSE with the stock HK head unit. I added a ARC 4 channel amp along with DLS component speakers with tweeters. I get a bit of distortion above 3/4 volume, and someone on here said to have Iron Cross Audio install pre amp outputs? I don`t know what they do, and in fact I don`t know jack about this audio stuff. The DLS speakers have a 150 RMS rating if that means anything? I was going to buy Focals at the time, but the specs were close for 1/2 the money. The head unit is currently having display issues, so I am going to send it in at some point. I was considering a different head unit, but do not want to loose my I-pod dock in the bag. But folks say aftermarket head units are way better. Are there any audio guru`s that can steer a dummy?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I am really trying to understand this audio stuff. I have a 2012 FLTRXSE with the stock HK head unit. I added a ARC 4 channel amp along with DLS component speakers with tweeters. I get a bit of distortion above 3/4 volume, and someone on here said to have Iron Cross Audio install pre amp outputs? I don`t know what they do, and in fact I don`t know jack about this audio stuff. The DLS speakers have a 150 RMS rating if that means anything? I was going to buy Focals at the time, but the specs were close for 1/2 the money. The head unit is currently having display issues, so I am going to send it in at some point. I was considering a different head unit, but do not want to loose my I-pod dock in the bag. But folks say aftermarket head units are way better. Are there any audio guru`s that can steer a dummy?
Keeping it really simple:

The preamp inside a head unit takes the raw signals from the various sources in the head unit, such as the CD player or radio tuner, and sends the low-level output (also called line-level output) to the amplifier.

The preamp stage is also where such tone controls as bass, treble and equalization manipulate the audio signal that will ultimately adjust the sound. When the signal reaches the actual amplifier, its internal-input preamp stage processes it further.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The preamp outs also bypass the amplifier section in the HK, which has always sounded muddy to me and also causes clipping.

Iron Cross Audio will fix your HK and install the preamp outs (and a bunch of other stuff)

·
Registered
156 Posts
The preamp outs also bypass the amplifier section in the HK, which has always sounded muddy to me and also causes clipping.

Iron Cross Audio will fix your HK and install the preamp outs (and a bunch of other stuff)
Not only that. . . Iron Cross has excellent Customer Service! Great people to deal with!!

·
Registered
893 Posts

What does the term "clipping" mean?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts