Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a good aftermarket sound for my '13 RGC

I've been directed to J&M audio (they're everywhere in this forum) and they got my attention for the fairing speakers..
I just talked to a guy at J&M audio and he told me that I should check out Polk Audio, the MM series for my Harley Davidson Genuine Saddlebag Lids.
They make a perfect 5x7 that would fit right into those lids.

Has anyone heard about them? Are they any good? Will it make a great combo for my Road Glide even at highway speeds?

·
Registered
279 Posts
And looking back at your post, on the highway above 50ish, the saddlebag speakers won't really matter for the rider. If you are set on replacing all of them, I would put MM's in the front as well. I had two 6.5 on my street glide with a RF 300.2 and they were crystal clear all the time. I have never heard the J&M's so I cannot compare the two. Hope this helps some.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are one of the more popular choices and the price point is great for the sound! Are you putting an amp on them or running them off of your factory radio?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Are you talking about J&M or Polk?

The guy at J&M told me that my best choice will be the 500 watt amp.. For the fairing speakers and the saddlebags'

Thanks for your input!

·
Super Moderator
12,430 Posts
I had the MM651's before I went to Focal in my fairing, and right now I have the MM691s in my saddlebags, I like them a lot, no complaints, the 651's I had in my fairing were actually a replacement for the regular JM 7.25s, the Polks sounded better IMO.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
I had the MM651's before I went to Focal in my fairing, and right now I have the MM691s in my saddlebags, I like them a lot, no complaints, the 651's I had in my fairing were actually a replacement for the regular JM 7.25s, the Polks sounded better IMO.
what model focal are you running these days?

·
Super Moderator
12,430 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'm very happy with my Polk MM691s in my bags pushed by my RF PBR 300x2. Like everyone says, you loose the sound behind you at highway speeds, but great at slower speeds.

·
Super Moderator
12,430 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm looking for a good aftermarket sound for my '13 RGC

I've been directed to J&M audio (they're everywhere in this forum) and they got my attention for the fairing speakers..
I just talked to a guy at J&M audio and he told me that I should check out Polk Audio, the MM series for my Harley Davidson Genuine Saddlebag Lids.
They make a perfect 5x7 that would fit right into those lids.

Has anyone heard about them? Are they any good? Will it make a great combo for my Road Glide even at highway speeds?
Let me say this before I give an opinion. No matter what speakers you put in, you are only going to get out of them what you put into them. That means power and installation. For the power, that's up to you whether it be a headunit or an amplifier pushing them. For installation, regardless of which brand or model, wrap those speakers in polyfil in the fairing, lowers, and rear tourpak pods. Will make a tremendous difference in sound quality.

As for audio in general, the object of the game is to match components. Match your speakers to your amp, and match your amp to your headunit (this is done via the gain controls on the amp). What I mean by match your speakers is simply this. if you have a 2 ohm stable amp (regardless of whether it's a headunit or an amplifier) then you want to use 2 ohm speakers to make your system as efficient as possible. If it's a 4 ohm power source then match speakers to it withi 4 ohm speakers.

IMO the Polk MM series are a better speaker than the J&M by far. They are much tighter in bass response, much cleaner on the high end as well. Some of the Focal speakers compare and sound better (subjective) but certainly not the lower end Focals. Even the specs say that. Not to mention Focals are 4 ohm speakers.

For the saddlebags, I wouldn't fool with any 5x7 speaker. Get a metra 5x7 to 6x9 adapter ring and put 6x9s back there. Again, the MM series 6x9s would be a good addition to your sound system.

·
Super Moderator
12,430 Posts
I agree with you UltraN, I failed to mention my Focals are 4ohm, but I have 2 pair in parallel so in effect they are 2ohm, the new Focal I'm going to are 2ohm, and will have thier own amp. Another thing for the OP to look for is the sensitivity (DB) of the speakers, the higher the better if they are CE compliant, but the real test is how they sound to whoever is spending the $$$, everybody doesn't have the same taste in sound quality, and setting the gains and freqs properly can make a world of difference.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I have a pair of Polk MM 6.5 w/ Tweeters and Crossovers, used very little, original box, excellent condition
PM if interested

1 - 16 of 16 Posts