Road Glide banner

What do you use for rain gear?

4K views 33 replies 23 participants last post by  y2kflhr 
#1 ·
I never had any rain gear I alway just got wet and let the wind dry me out or I used my leather coat and chaps to keep me somewhat dry.
I wanted something that was light and compact so it wouldn't take up much space in the saddlebags, I looked at the HD rain gear but the closest HD dealer didn't have much of a selection to speak of so after doing some looking around I found a "Frogg Toggs" rain suit (jacket & pants) which came in black for $40. I don't know how well they will work but I figured I would give it a try.

#6 ·
Hard part is finding gloves that stay dry and aren't bulky.
I know what you mean about the gloves. I use a set of leather gloves and I treat them with Sno-Seal which is a beeswax waterproofing product and it works pretty good I also use Sno-Seal on my leather chaps, coat and boots.
I have Gerbing T-5 gloves and I haven't waterproofed them yet but I was thinking about a good silicone spray for them because they are made out of a few different type of materials.

#3 · (Edited)
I've got a two piece set from HD I bought several years ago. Very light weight and not insulated but it gets folded or rolled up in such a way that it tucks into the hood of the jacket which is about 8 or 10 inches in diameter. Mine is always kept in the saddlebag. And it has heat resistant material on the inner calf portion so you don't have to worry about touching the pipes and melting

#4 ·
I've had a few over the past few years, I always thought the HD rainsuit was a little pricey until last year on the way to SW4. All I have to say is it's worth every penny. And I've had Frog togs, Tourmaster, and a couple more.

#5 ·
Bought mine out of necessity on the way to Street Vibrations last year. Stopped at an HD dealer on the way and grabbed a very compact HD 2 piece set. Was hoping just having it would keep the rain away, but it didn't. Rode home in a rain storm and clothes were dry all the way to the house. Wish I saw the boot covers too, boots didn't fair so well..... Stay in the very bottom corner of the saddle bag and takes up almost no room.

#7 ·
Hello,
Having bought more inexpensive sets of rain gear in the past then I want to think about, I finally bought a pair of HD black goretex rain pants. I matched them with a bright-colored lightweight/breathable rain jacket from REI.

Neither one was cheap but I'm going on 5 years of use without any problems/issues. Living in the southwest, goretex/breathability is a must.

regards,

#9 ·
Purchased a used HD rain suit that was already about 3 years old, but got it for $50.00 and never got a drop of rain on me. Purchased brand new non HD rain gear for my sons and the only thing they did was keep the rain water in. Just purchased a new rain suit for me and gave my used one to my son. When it came to getting my wife a rain suit I wasn't going to even take a chance so I got her an HD suit.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#11 ·
I have First raingear which I bought from JP cycle and I think its great, folds into a little pouch in the pants ,light and thin and keeps me dry, and yes was less than the HD raingear which is great stuff just didn't want to spend that much, as for gloves lol I bring black latex gloves and just put them over my summer and spring gloves, there disposable.

#14 ·
Tourmaster Transition 3 works pretty well for me, but I still get some water coming down the front (neck) if it is raining really hard. I wanted something that would work as rain gear, but not needing to take additional stuff, so I got that. Not probably the best rain gear, but it works decently and I don't have to take additional rain gear above and beyond the riding gear I already use. I could probably eliminate the neck/leak issue with some type of wrap.

#19 ·
I have a nice 1 piece from Cycle Gear that is actually a very good quality suit that I keep on the bike in winter. It can be a little difficult to get on over boots and it would be way too hot to wear in the summer heat in FL or a lot of other places. I also have Frogg Toggs that I use in the warmer months. They do make an iron on heat shield for the leg so you don't melt them. I've had the Toggs for about three years and they are still going strong after many wet miles. A great suit that doesn't totally cook you when the sun comes out.

#20 ·
Maybe 2 years ago I bought rain pants & jacket at Cycle Gear. Seems they were about $40 or so. Never needed them till coming back from Arkansas last year. The Cycle Gear outfit didn't cut it. Bought the HD Hi-Vis raingear. Retail was $175 but I negotiated a 15% discount, and I had enough "Harley bucks" or whatever you call it from my HD Visa card usage so no cash outlay. Haven't needed to try out the HD gear yet but I'm confident it will do the job. And if you have ever seen a rider in the HD Hi-Vis suit you will be impressed.

#22 ·
i bought me and the misses some 2 piece H-D rain suitcs Well it will be 10 years ago this summer. They still work great comfy and keep the rain at bay. I had a cheap 1 piece that was such a pita to wear and man did you sweat in it!! Hell i think its still on the shelf in the garage!

#23 ·
Harley HiVis here as well.
Wife and I rode pretty good distances ( 80 miles +) in 2 different rain storms with them and were very happy with them when we got home. The HiVis suits take up more room than some but we use the jacket portion when we need something for warmth.
Purchased Tourmaster Boot covers after the 1st long wet ride. They work great as well (1/2 the price of HD). When your on a trip you can change clothes when they get wet but most people don't bring a change of boots. If they get wet can take a long time to dry out. I tried to waterproof our boots but the rain makes it inside anyway without the covers.

#24 ·
I just got back from a 4 day road trip and I was running through a lot of rain and the Frog Toggs did a good job of keeping me dry.
The only problem was the pant legs would touch the exhaust when I put my legs down when at a stop and they melted on the pipes but I was warned that this would be a problem. I did like the coat it did real good job keeping me dry and warm.
I tried on some rain suits at Black Hills HD when I was on the trip and they did have a good selection of HD rain gear but I couldn't find a coat and pant combination that worked for me.
The girls at Black Hills HD were very helpful and they had someone check in the storage area for some rain gear that was from broke up sets and they found some HD rain pants that would work for me. So now I have the HD rain pants and the Frog Toggs coat for a rain suit which should work OK, I didn't try the HD pants on the road trip I just kept on using the Frog togg pants since they worked and the exhaust already had burnt on pant material on it anyways.

#26 ·
I used the Frogg Togg jacket during the SWIV trip. It worked well for me. I received the pants in the mail yesterday and the heat shield is on its way.

How well does the heat shield work?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.