Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2015 CVO RGU and have been using the J&M headset on my half helmet up til now but wondering if there is a better option? When sending my music thru the headset speakers I was not overly impressed with the sound levels. Now for the phone it was okay but again not what I would call stellar.

I also have one HD wired headset that loops over your ears but again from what I remember the last time I used them they weren't that great either.

So would like to hear if others have found a better headset. I don't think I want to go with wireless as that would just mean I had one more thing to worry about charging each night when riding.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I use the Sena H-D 20s on my half helmet with the WHIM; I wear a set of ear buds with it. Going wireless has completely changed everything, makes it so much nicer to not have to plug in and unplug a cord every time I get on and off the bike. Since I charge my iPhone, iPad and GoPros anyway, one more item is a no never mind; it lasts all day on a charge listening to the stereo so no worries there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use the Sena H-D 20s on my half helmet with the WHIM; I wear a set of ear buds with it. Going wireless has completely changed everything, makes it so much nicer to not have to plug in and unplug a cord every time I get on and off the bike. Since I charge my iPhone, iPad and GoPros anyway, one more item is a no never mind; it lasts all day on a charge listening to the stereo so no worries there

That's my exact set up...Im very happy...But the only issue I have is when in com. mode between riders...Wind noise interferes with communication between the head sets....Riding two-up I always switch to full face helmets

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I'm gonna wait til winter to order, but this is what i will order:

i've used this system with a buddy, and they just plain work. they recently upgraded the speakers to JBL, too.

I'll be bypassing the obtuse harley system altogether.

WAZE and google maps work so much easier on the phone, and there's a larger audience to update the software.

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
I'm gonna wait til winter to order, but this is what i will order:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBAynKKnCdE

i've used this system with a buddy, and they just plain work. they recently upgraded the speakers to JBL, too.

I'll be bypassing the obtuse harley system altogether.

WAZE and google maps work so much easier on the phone, and there's a larger audience to update the software.
If I was looking to purchase a unit, this would be the one I would buy.

Great review and seems to work great.

Swomack

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the OLD Scala Rider G4 and was NEVER impressed with how they worked. Tried to use them between 3 people and half the time they wouldn't connect. It is what turned me OFF to using wireless headsets. I take my helmet off when I stop almost every time so I don't unhook until I am stopping for the day. And as I said I really don't want one more thing I have to worry about charging each night.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I have the OLD Scala Rider G4 and was NEVER impressed with how they worked. Tried to use them between 3 people and half the time they wouldn't connect. It is what turned me OFF to using wireless headsets. I take my helmet off when I stop almost every time so I don't unhook until I am stopping for the day. And as I said I really don't want one more thing I have to worry about charging each night.
the tech has come a long way since then, but it's your call :smile:

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the tech has come a long way since then, but it's your call :smile:
Okay since I am STILL learning about my new bike if I wanted to go with wireless headsets what do I have to do to make it work with my Boom system?
Do I have to get and install a WHIM module?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
that's the great part.
it's totally independent of the HD system.
mount a phone on the bars, pair it with the cardo, you're done.

no more going to the dealer and flashing the bike, no more HD software downloads, nada

your phone has more technology in it than your boom system ever will, and the software isn't proprietary.

you can listen to music, use waze for directions, take a phone call, etc.

watch the video a few times until you understand it. IMHO it's the best and easiest system out there.
you mount the unit to your helmet, your phone on the bars, and that's it.

they come with a boom mike (for half helmets) and/or a hook and loop fastener for mic
speakers mount in your helmet. if you have a half helmet you can use earbuds with a 3.5 mm plug or mount to side ear muffs.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that's the great part.
it's totally independent of the HD system.
mount a phone on the bars, pair it with the cardo, you're done.

no more going to the dealer and flashing the bike, no more HD software downloads, nada

your phone has more technology in it than your boom system ever will, and the software isn't proprietary.

you can listen to music, use waze for directions, take a phone call, etc.

watch the video a few times until you understand it. IMHO it's the best and easiest system out there.
you mount the unit to your helmet, your phone on the bars, and that's it.

they come with a boom mike (for half helmets) and/or a hook and loop fastener for mic
speakers mount in your helmet. if you have a half helmet you can use earbuds with a 3.5 mm plug or mount to side ear muffs.
I'm not a fan of having my phone on my bars. To many issues when I tried it a few years ago.
1) Phone isn't weatherproof so when it rains???
2) Phone was shutting off from getting to hot sitting in the sun.
3) Trying to manipulate things on the phone while riding with heavier gloves on.
4) I don't have music on my phone
5) I just really dislike stuff hanging on my bars.

I get that phones have some a long way too but this is what made me not like it.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I'm not a fan of having my phone on my bars. To many issues when I tried it a few years ago.
1) Phone isn't weatherproof so when it rains???
2) Phone was shutting off from getting to hot sitting in the sun.
3) Trying to manipulate things on the phone while riding with heavier gloves on.
4) I don't have music on my phone
5) I just really dislike stuff hanging on my bars.

I get that phones have some a long way too but this is what made me not like it.
then put it in your pocket or the cubby. as long as your cardo can pick it up via bluetooth, you're in like flynn

·
Registered
838 Posts
Okay since I am STILL learning about my new bike if I wanted to go with wireless headsets what do I have to do to make it work with my Boom system?

Do I have to get and install a WHIM module?

Yes, you need to pay the Harley tax and get not only the WHIM, but also a Harley stamped Headset to interface with the Boom! system I do like mine, it was worth it for me.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
then put it in your pocket or the cubby. as long as your cardo can pick it up via bluetooth, you're in like flynn
You are missing my points. I WANT to connect to the Boom system. I do not use my phone for everything in my life. I still have a camera and just finally started to use my phone's camera. I don't have music on my phone and I could careless about being able to answer a call while I am riding.

Yes, you need to pay the Harley tax and get not only the WHIM, but also a Harley stamped Headset to interface with the Boom! system I do like mine, it was worth it for me.

Yes and I have heard the HD tax isn't cheap.

·
Registered
838 Posts
You are missing my points. I WANT to connect to the Boom system. I do not use my phone for everything in my life. I still have a camera and just finally started to use my phone's camera. I don't have music on my phone and I could careless about being able to answer a call while I am riding.

Yes and I have heard the HD tax isn't cheap.

Correct!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use an IASUS throat mic with their HD adapter (it's a wired system) for the RGU. I also have the IASUS 3.5mm adapter to plug straight to device. The throat mic has 3.5mm jack for earbuds of your choice. Great combo for solo riding. Have not tried two-up intercoms.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I use an IASUS throat mic with their HD adapter (it's a wired system) for the RGU. I also have the IASUS 3.5mm adapter to plug straight to device. The throat mic has 3.5mm jack for earbuds of your choice. Great combo for solo riding. Have not tried two-up intercoms.
I will look into that as I am use to using a throat mike so that might work for me.

Check out J&M audio, I have there integrated headset and extremely happy with it. I have the WHIM and just not happy with it.Too many issues with that set up.
I have the J&M wired headsets for half helmets.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Could you PM me a pic and link for this throat mic if possible please ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I like the Cardo but I have a question. Most of my riding buddies are using the Senna wireless headsets; if I go with the Cardo, would I be able to link up and talk bike to bike with Senna users?

·
Registered
86 Posts
My buddy has cardo and mines a sena. We can do it but it was difficult to figure out. Dont ask me how it is his brainchild. If we do it i have to turn my bluetooth off on my phone so no tunes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts