Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never seen a fork oil argument, so I'm gonna ask--when I replace my fork oil, what's a good brand/weight/grade to replace it with? Is there a fork oil equivalent of Redline Shockproof gear oil?

FWIW, my bike gets ridden and does not sit in the garage waiting to have its picture taken so I need something that will hold up.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I use any forkin' oil I choose! :D (Again, saw an opportunity to be a wise guy and ran with it.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I lowered the front 1.5 inches and was wondering what is the best fork oil to use, I have read many post but no clear answer.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
okay, first off, you have to figure out for yourself if you are satisfied with the ride that your front end has now, and if not, why? if you feel like it is too soft, and too much brake dive, then you can replace the fork oil in there now with a heavier weight.

this can be as complicated or as simple as you like. you can go with the straight se heavy and call it a day, or you can mix it 50/50 with the stock weight and be right in the middle, or any combination thereof.

i run the se heavy, and i like it fine.

also, you don't have to go with the se oil. you can use another brand if you prefer, but you really won't notice a difference between brands of the same weight.

Type "E" is 5 weight - the lightest one
Type "B" is 10 weight
Type "screamin' eagle" is 15 weight
Type "screamin' eagle racing oil" is 20 weight ( Not intended for street bikes)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
okay, first off, you have to figure out for yourself if you are satisfied with the ride that your front end has now, and if not, why? if you feel like it is too soft, and too much brake dive, then you can replace the fork oil in there now with a heavier weight.

this can be as complicated or as simple as you like. you can go with the straight se heavy and call it a day, or you can mix it 50/50 with the stock weight and be right in the middle, or any combination thereof.

i run the se heavy, and i like it fine.

also, you don't have to go with the se oil. you can use another brand if you prefer, but you really won't notice a difference between brands of the same weight.

Type "E" is 5 weight - the lightest one
Type "B" is 10 weight
Type "screamin' eagle" is 15 weight
Type "screamin' eagle racing oil" is 20 weight ( Not intended for street bikes)
Excellent info, just what I was looking for. Thanks very much.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Just an FYI in case anyone is using the P-S Monotube kit. Don't waste your time experimenting with different oils, as it's only function is to lubricate the moving parts. All the dampening is done by the cartridge.

On my previous bike I liked the feel of 15W SE oil the best.

Jeff

·
Registered
932 Posts
Amsoils #10 Suspension Fluid

Getting ready to do a fork oil change myself soon. I'll be using Amsoils #10 suspension fluid. I used this on the last bike with great results.

Nevadasun & Desertshark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts