Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, we"moved" to my wife's grandparents house in the middle of March. Brought a few things, maybe 2 rooms full as it needed(still needs) a ton of work to make it "livable" to the wife's standards. When this corona virus shit hit and we both started working remotely. We decided to abandon the city and take the opportunity to work on the house nightly instead of just on weekends. Anyway, it seems the list is growing instead of shrinking. My wife currently has a spreadsheet with I think 176 line items of things to do, and they aren't little things. I have redone flooring and trim in 2 rooms, replaced outlets, replaced lights, replaced switches, cleaned, cleaned some more, and it seems like every time we start something we find more that needs done.

Anyway this week has been hell.
1, We need a new HVAC system, luckily I have a friend who does installs so he is taking really good care of me, hopefully done tomorrow (thank god it hasn't been hot but for a couple days). Cleaning out the room where the utilities are getting ready for him I discovered the water softener isn't hooked up, but was just sitting there. No big deal, I will add it to the list. The linoleum was jacked, and about half of it just came up when the wife tried to scrub. Sure enough, sub floor trashed underneath it and around the HVAC unit. So I get to learn how to do subfloor.
2, Last week when I was working on cleaning the yard up a little bit we noticed the cover for the septic tank wasn't attached and the ground where it was installed last fall had settled some, and it wasn't filled back in right. So we hesitantly called the guy that put it in. Hesitantly because the genius nicked the power line when he installed the new system, didn't tell anyone and we didn't discover it until a couple months later when the power acted up. Cost 2400 bucks to repair (he paid half, standby for more later on this). We got 3 inches of rain Sunday night. Anyway the septic guy finally came out Monday to finish the job from last fall. The tank is to the brim full. He went and got his honeysucker and pumped it out. Water is pouring into the tank from the outlet pipe. Yes, I said pouring in. It is a 4 inch pipe, and I bet 2 inches of water was pouring out of it. Something obviously isn't right. After a couple of hours it slows to a trickle, but here we are Friday and water is still trickling in. We have someone coming Tuesday from a different company because the guy who installed it just keeps saying it's because we got 3 inches of rain. Maybe if we got 3 inches of rain for 10 days straight I would agree, but something isn't right. It isn't flowing back into the house yet so we are ok so far.
3, I was in the shower earlier this week and the wife said the overhead light in the living room flickered and dimmed. Then our bedroom light wouldn't work. I had replaced both of these lights so was sure it was something I had done. Tried all the breakers, all was fine. The next day our bedroom light worked. Then random light started dimming and wouldn't work. I pulled apart our bedroom light and LR light and made some changes thinking I had done something wrong. Everything seemed ok and worked fine, so I chalked it up to an idiot doing electrical work. Next day the house becomes possessed. Turn on a hallway light and a bedroom light goes out. Some lights are dim. Turn on the living room light and the hallway light goes out, but the bedroom light comes on even though the switch is off. So on and so on, it is fucked. Take apart the 2 lights again and stupidly start trying different combinations. Now none of them work!!! I give up and call a guy who used to work for my FIL as an electrician and he does some checking, only about half as much power is coming to the house as is supposed to. Call the guys who did the repair in January, they find another nick that was missed. They fixed it (no charge, even though it was in a different place than the original repair they said they should have found it, I love people with integrity. So, now I have to call the electrician back out to unfuck what I have done with the lights because i don't even know where to start (the LR light has 4 different sets of wires coming into it and it isn't as simple as black to black and white to white.

We are about 2-3 weeks behind schedule. Our original plan was to have this house done enough this weekend so we could move the rest of our stuff and have our house ready to list by the first of June. I still have to redo floors in 3 BR and a hallway, sand and refinish hardwood. Then replace the trim and paint. After we get that done then I need to do some minor work in one bathroom, replace a couple of lights, unfuck some trim work a renter had started and paint it. Then we will be ready to move our stuff in. After that I have a bathroom and laundry room remodel to start. I have to replace the hood over the stove, install a garbage disposal, replace a dishwasher, more outlets, install closetmaid systems, change out bedroom and closet doors, more painting, recaulk several windows. We are waiting on a quote to have some windows replaced that are beyond repair. Maybe I can start on the yard repairs that need to happen by August. I just keep trying to tell myself it will be nice once it is done. It looks like I will be lucky to put 5000 miles on the bike this year.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Welcome to the world I lived for 20+ years. People never understand that until you start taking it apart, you're not going to know who's been there and done whatever..... SURPRISE

Good luck with your project!

·
Registered
8,561 Posts
Son, sounds like the Ol' lady is trying to kill you. On the bright side when it's all done and you're use to working 16 hrs a day and only have 8 , you'll have plenty of energy left to ride the glide ,unless the Ol' lady keeps extending the list :).

Is your septic tank leach field on flat ground ? If it is , that's normal for water to reverse flow back in your tank if you are on a high water table. Heavy rain will raise the table for a few days ,then slowly drop back down. The fix is to run a french drain to remove water from the yard if possible. Some guys run more discharge pipe closer to the surface also. Unless you live on a hill, septic tanks are vulnerable to heavy rain storms.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Son, sounds like the Ol' lady is trying to kill you. On the bright side when it's all done and you're use to working 16 hrs a day and only have 8 , you'll have plenty of energy left to ride the glide ,unless the Ol' lady keeps extending the list :).

Is your septic tank leach field on flat ground ? If it is , that's normal for water to reverse flow back in your tank if you are on a high water table. Heavy rain will raise the table for a few days ,then slowly drop back down. The fix is to run a french drain to remove water from the yard if possible. Some guys run more discharge pipe closer to the surface also. Unless you live on a hill, septic tanks are vulnerable to heavy rain storms.
It is fairly flat. We are looking at 2 options, installing a perimeter drain around the leach field (at least $4-5k), or the farmer is going to dig a small drainage ditch between the leach field and farm field to see if we can get some runoff that way. I just googled french drain and it looks like the same thing as what they are calling a perimeter drain.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Wow. Sorry to hear all of the problems!! Once they are all done think of the time you will have to enjoy it!!

Electrical problems suck!! They are hard as hell to find the common denominator when you get them. Sounds like you tried to figure it out and that is what counts. And you know when to throw in the towel. Sounds like your going to put lots of cash into this place. So take your time and do it right.

·
Registered
8,561 Posts
It is fairly flat. We are looking at 2 options, installing a perimeter drain around the leach field (at least $4-5k), or the farmer is going to dig a small drainage ditch between the leach field and farm field to see if we can get some runoff that way. I just googled french drain and it looks like the same thing as what they are calling a perimeter drain.
When it rains hard here , I tell the ol' lady... If it's yellow, let it mellow, if it's brown, flush it down. She hates that.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
758 Posts
Sounds like when the wife and I moved into my (then deceased) grand parents 60 year old house.

I'd tell you the story - toilet went through the floor with wife sitting on it - but it sounds like you already know it...

·
Super Moderator
10,187 Posts
I told Miss Faye all this stuff this mornin' after we got off the phone , maybe you shudda come on down tomorrow anyways , nah keep yer luck up there , we doin' fine without it here , she did say jus let us know when you ready to ride down .. Will take pitchers tomorrow night and send to you ...

JtB

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I told Miss Faye all this stuff this mornin' after we got off the phone , maybe you shudda come on down tomorrow anyways , nah keep yer luck up there , we doin' fine without it here , she did say jus let us know when you ready to ride down .. Will take pitchers tomorrow night and send to you ...

JtB
I wish we could have made it happen. Not cancelled, just delayed

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
So, we"moved" to my wife's grandparents house in the middle of March. Brought a few things, maybe 2 rooms full as it needed(still needs) a ton of work to make it "livable" to the wife's standards. When this corona virus shit hit and we both started working remotely. We decided to abandon the city and take the opportunity to work on the house nightly instead of just on weekends. Anyway, it seems the list is growing instead of shrinking. My wife currently has a spreadsheet with I think 176 line items of things to do, and they aren't little things. I have redone flooring and trim in 2 rooms, replaced outlets, replaced lights, replaced switches, cleaned, cleaned some more, and it seems like every time we start something we find more that needs done.

Anyway this week has been hell.
1, We need a new HVAC system, luckily I have a friend who does installs so he is taking really good care of me, hopefully done tomorrow (thank god it hasn't been hot but for a couple days). Cleaning out the room where the utilities are getting ready for him I discovered the water softener isn't hooked up, but was just sitting there. No big deal, I will add it to the list. The linoleum was jacked, and about half of it just came up when the wife tried to scrub. Sure enough, sub floor trashed underneath it and around the HVAC unit. So I get to learn how to do subfloor.
2, Last week when I was working on cleaning the yard up a little bit we noticed the cover for the septic tank wasn't attached and the ground where it was installed last fall had settled some, and it wasn't filled back in right. So we hesitantly called the guy that put it in. Hesitantly because the genius nicked the power line when he installed the new system, didn't tell anyone and we didn't discover it until a couple months later when the power acted up. Cost 2400 bucks to repair (he paid half, standby for more later on this). We got 3 inches of rain Sunday night. Anyway the septic guy finally came out Monday to finish the job from last fall. The tank is to the brim full. He went and got his honeysucker and pumped it out. Water is pouring into the tank from the outlet pipe. Yes, I said pouring in. It is a 4 inch pipe, and I bet 2 inches of water was pouring out of it. Something obviously isn't right. After a couple of hours it slows to a trickle, but here we are Friday and water is still trickling in. We have someone coming Tuesday from a different company because the guy who installed it just keeps saying it's because we got 3 inches of rain. Maybe if we got 3 inches of rain for 10 days straight I would agree, but something isn't right. It isn't flowing back into the house yet so we are ok so far.
3, I was in the shower earlier this week and the wife said the overhead light in the living room flickered and dimmed. Then our bedroom light wouldn't work. I had replaced both of these lights so was sure it was something I had done. Tried all the breakers, all was fine. The next day our bedroom light worked. Then random light started dimming and wouldn't work. I pulled apart our bedroom light and LR light and made some changes thinking I had done something wrong. Everything seemed ok and worked fine, so I chalked it up to an idiot doing electrical work. Next day the house becomes possessed. Turn on a hallway light and a bedroom light goes out. Some lights are dim. Turn on the living room light and the hallway light goes out, but the bedroom light comes on even though the switch is off. So on and so on, it is fucked. Take apart the 2 lights again and stupidly start trying different combinations. Now none of them work!!! I give up and call a guy who used to work for my FIL as an electrician and he does some checking, only about half as much power is coming to the house as is supposed to. Call the guys who did the repair in January, they find another nick that was missed. They fixed it (no charge, even though it was in a different place than the original repair they said they should have found it, I love people with integrity. So, now I have to call the electrician back out to unfuck what I have done with the lights because i don't even know where to start (the LR light has 4 different sets of wires coming into it and it isn't as simple as black to black and white to white.

We are about 2-3 weeks behind schedule. Our original plan was to have this house done enough this weekend so we could move the rest of our stuff and have our house ready to list by the first of June. I still have to redo floors in 3 BR and a hallway, sand and refinish hardwood. Then replace the trim and paint. After we get that done then I need to do some minor work in one bathroom, replace a couple of lights, unfuck some trim work a renter had started and paint it. Then we will be ready to move our stuff in. After that I have a bathroom and laundry room remodel to start. I have to replace the hood over the stove, install a garbage disposal, replace a dishwasher, more outlets, install closetmaid systems, change out bedroom and closet doors, more painting, recaulk several windows. We are waiting on a quote to have some windows replaced that are beyond repair. Maybe I can start on the yard repairs that need to happen by August. I just keep trying to tell myself it will be nice once it is done. It looks like I will be lucky to put 5000 miles on the bike this year.

Wow, I feel for you. Appears you wrote the "Money Pit" movie. Sure hop things go better for you.

·
Registered
7,227 Posts
Scott, sorry to hear about all The Trouble You're having.
Hang in there Brother, better days are ahead for sure.
Mike U.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts