Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that many of us are busy getting ready, planning routes, what to pack, etc...., and usually we have a thread going listing what we have done to get ready. Sometimes it helps to see what others are doing/done, in case we forgot something, so here goes....

New rear tire, new oil and filter (plenty of time left before doing tranny and primary), and a really good cleaning of the bike. A very good going over of the bike in general ( found a turn signal support bolt loose!). A few routes loaded into the GPS, and a few snacks bought (yes, Tracy I have mentos!). What has the rest of the tank done?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Brought the bike in for a pre trip service, just had the 50,000 mile service done about 2 months ago.
I asked them to check all tensioners because the last time I had them checked was at 30,000 and now I have almost 53,000. I was prepared to change them all. I was pleasantly surprised when they called and said that they hardly have any ware and that they would check them again in another 20,000, did I mention I use an indy for my repair and service.
The bike was starting to creep a little bit at lights but just when it was really hot so I asked him to check the clutch. they said the Kevlar plates were fine but the metal plates were a little glazed but not bad. I told them to just put a new one in.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Rode to Myrtle Beach for bike week 3 weeks ago to help prepare me for the ride to SWV ( cough cough). I had a great time down there with my son by the way. It was a great father son ride. I wish he could come to SWV with me, but, he was only off for the week. He's in dental school and has classes all summer.
I will change the fluids in it this weekend and maybe give ole Copper a coat of wax to help protect it from the TX sun.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Apparently these trips have become routine for us. Wife mentioned the other day that it seemed like we weren't doing much to get ready?? I think it's because we pretty much know what we're doing and we just do it as the time draws near. The dog is pissed because we've locked her out of the spare bedroom so we can pile all our stuff on the bed that she uses as her trampoline. We're a week out from blast off and there's not much stuff on the bed yet.
The bike's got a new tire(yes another car tire), a fresh oil change, a new compensator, and is in the process of being cleaned. She just reminded me that no matter how clean it is now, it's gonna be dirty by the time we get to Texas.

We'll get there, ready or not........

·
Registered
853 Posts
Lets see....what have I done to prepare for SWV......?
Well, I bought a new bike.....kept the "Old Girlfriend".......:D
Modded the new bike quite a bit.....ain't gonna mod the GF.....:D:eek:
Spent WAY too many hours at 3 am thinkin' about goin' to SWV.......
Thinkin' about needing a new rear tire....at 10,500 miles......can I make it to 14,000?
10,000 mile inspection, new remote filter, gonna detail it this weekend, workin' on playlists for Tejas and Terlingua.
Scoped which routes a few of us are gonna take...scouted out rendezvous points......
Bored the HELL out of nearly everyone I know talkin' about SWV.....and quite a few strangers....!:eek::cool:
Got the kid to watch the kitties for the couple weeks....
Prepped the house....gonna do a final clean this weekend....
Preppin' the hot tub for Hogwild and Ms Piggy when they show up Thursday night
Does drooling over dreams of Texas BBQ count???:D:eek:

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I have practicing my beer drinking so I can keep up with some of you hard core guzzlers.. Lol...bike has been ready for a month now, just need to pack it fill the tank and great ya'll first thing Monday! See soon....ride safe...

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
New rear tire, only because a utility knife blade decided to take up residence inside my tire.
Oil changed
Complete check of nuts and bolts
4 days of buffing, polishing and waxing(now it almost to clean to ride)
Tool check done and packed
Route loaded on the GPS
Music loaded on new Ipod and thumbdrive.
Starting to pack bags.

Leaving here Friday afternoon for a leisurely ride on back roads arriving in Kerrville Sunday afternoon. Hope the Texas gang have some beer ready......:D

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Wait to get it back from the shop. Packing my bags. Try to decide if I want to get a new full face helmet (riding with OBB). Downloading a Walmart app.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I'm really hoping that they'll be saving me more than one. Make mine Lone Star please!

I"ll have a cold one or two waiting for you when you get there.:D

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I'm making sure to ride mine daily to increase the mileage to the point that I can legitimately do the 40k service before I leave. 39k and counting...

·
Registered
721 Posts
Just did my 40k service... Bit early 38.5k, new batteries in the fobs, washed it top to bottom but it will not be clean by the time I leave for SW on Friday. Maps printed, yes i still use those too. Pack, guess I do need to bring a clean tshirt. Is it time to go yet?!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Getting prepared...
New wheels, tires and brake pads
Rebuilt forks and upgraded springs
Fluids changed
Finally installed the 13" Madstad
Tools checked and packed
Riding to work daily dialing in the new 3-3 Ohlins shocks
Longer rides on the weekends with the Mrs, steadily dialing in shocks and getting her prepared for the trip. (This just don't sound right any way you write it...)
Bike will be cleaned and ready to go for the departure

patiently waiting, this is our first Shark Week event. Come on already!

BigJ

1 - 20 of 78 Posts