Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2021 RGS, 77 rigid shovel, 63 panshovel
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m planning on doing bars soon and might as well add heated grips. What’s everyone using? Anything else you’re doing while the bars are off? Thanks guys.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
9,279 Posts
Heated grips? We install refrigerant systems in our bar ends down here .......

Now that I got that out of the way, I can only say that having lived in Colorado, northern Illinois, Maine, etc., there have been many times that I wish I had them when I didn't. Most riders I know seem to use the MoCo ones. I don't think I've seen a handful of complaints about them in almost 10 years on here. Good call to make that change now.

·
Registered
8,828 Posts
Heated Grips seem to be hit and miss with OEM ones.
I just installed OEM Kahuna Heated Grips but have not yet finished the install. Many guys use the Kahuna’s with mixed reviews. I like the way they look that is why I went with them.
If You go with OEM ones make sure to contact Brian Marshall at Horny Toad HD and he will take great care of You.
Mike U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
When I did my bars, I was contemplating heated grips. I WAS going to go with Heat Demon heat bands that go underneath the grip, so any grip work.

I decided to go heated gloves, that I haven't got yet, instead.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have the Kahuna grips. Mine work great.

If you’re interested, I have a set of stock ones that came with my bike (brand new) and the wire harness (still in the package). They are just sitting my shelf. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
I like the look of the kahunas, but when you're buying for 2 bikes, some concessions have to be made. so I went with the plain black. I have plug in gloves for those really, really cold days, but the heated grips work awesome. last winter, I didn't have to use the bulky plug in gloves once. I highly recommend.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like the look of the kahunas, but when you're buying for 2 bikes, some concessions have to be made. so I went with the plain black. I have plug in gloves for those really, really cold days, but the heated grips work awesome. last winter, I didn't have to use the bulky plug in gloves once. I highly recommend.
I’ve never had heated grips but there’s plenty of fall or spring rides in the 30s where I wish I did. I see no reason not to add them since I’ll be doing bars.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The plain black ones work flawlessly. Great for fall and spring days when you don't want bulky gloves on for the morning or evening part of your ride.
That’s what I’m hoping. I don’t like bulky gloves to begin with so any time I can avoid wearing them is a plus.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I installed the Kahuna heated grips on my 20 RGL when I put on 12" KST Spearheads and love them!
Yep I see no reason not to do them while I’m doing bars. I’m thinking about 12” spearheads too, would you mind telling me the OAW? Do the uprights have any bend back toward the rider? Thanks.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I love people who act like heated gloves are an alternative to heated grips. I regularly drive to work in sub 30 temps. I use both. Heated gloves generally don't heat the palm. Only the backs of the hand and maybe sides of the fingers. Using both gives max comfort.

Not to mention that evenings cool off quickly here in the desert even in summer. That is a job for heated grips. Just take the chill off of the evening .

Kahuna and Streamliners are built to be internally wired. Others need a modification to the control cluster on clutch side.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Kahuna and Streamliners are built to be internally wired. Others need a modification to the control cluster on clutch side.
Negative. The plain black ones require nothing more than plugging in.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I love people who act like heated gloves are an alternative to heated grips. I regularly drive to work in sub 30 temps. I use both. Heated gloves generally don't heat the palm. Only the backs of the hand and maybe sides of the fingers. Using both gives max comfort.

Not to mention that evenings cool off quickly here in the desert even in summer. That is a job for heated grips. Just take the chill off of the evening .

Good to know, definitely want to wire them internally.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts