Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Shark of the Month October 13
9,283 Posts
I use gloves 🧤...
...... to keep your hands from being burned when you park in the sun for a couple hours???? Plenty of heated grips and heated seats on the market ..... I'm waiting for cooled grips and seats to be invented.

Reactions: Oclaf

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Would you happen to know if this is true on the specials as well? Would be nice to just run the wires and plug em in inside the fairing.
Wouldn't make a difference, the hand controls are the same. My Ultra needed to use the accessory harness under the seat. My understanding is that the Special has a plug in the fairing.

·
Registered
2021 RGS, 77 rigid shovel, 63 panshovel
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Wouldn't make a difference, the hand controls are the same. My Ultra needed to use the accessory harness under the seat. My understanding is that the Special has a plug in the fairing.
That’d be cool. I wouldn’t mind not pulling the tank.

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Kahuna and Streamliners are built to be internally wired. Others need a modification to the control cluster on clutch side.
don't forget the plain rubber. they are internally wired as well.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yep I see no reason not to do them while I’m doing bars. I’m thinking about 12” spearheads too, would you mind telling me the OAW? Do the uprights have any bend back toward the rider? Thanks.
With the KST Spearheads, you can adjust them to your liking. They are a 3 piece set so you can pull them to you anyway you want. I'm not sure what you mean by OAW.....

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
With the KST Spearheads, you can adjust them to your liking. They are a 3 piece set so you can pull them to you anyway you want. I'm not sure what you mean by OAW.....
Yea i know they’re adjustable. Overall width

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I'm at work, will try to check when I get home. BTW, lots of install videos online. This forum is the best place to go for advice for your install.
I appreciate it. I’m not worried about the install that’s pretty straight forward

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I appreciate it. I’m not worried about the install that’s pretty straight forward
Somewhere in the Handlebar forum I have an install thread that includes the heated grips. I have KST Pathfinders, but same install. Unless they've changed the lower piece away from that silly rubber strip, do yourself a favor and pick up a new clamp with set screws. And do your riser bushings at the same time.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Somewhere in the Handlebar forum I have an install thread that includes the heated grips. I have KST Pathfinders, but same install. Unless they've changed the lower piece away from that silly rubber strip, do yourself a favor and pick up a new clamp with set screws. And do your riser bushings at the same time.
I was definitely planning on poly bushings. They did do away with the rubber strip and knurled it, not sure why they wouldn’t knurl it to begin with.

·
Registered
2019 RGS, Fullsac exhaust, S&S stealth AC, TTS tuner.
1,543 Posts

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Never ran heated grips personally, I have seen too many failures for me to want to spend the money on them. The newer ones may very well have gotten better though. I'm thinking back 4-5 years here.
On another note, I gotta guy with a Batwing getting some KST's and he opted for the heated grips by KOSO. The unfortunate thing about these is that they get wired externally as far as I know. I'm going to see if I can fix that and run them internal but he already said "it's not about the looks for me, it's about the comfort so do what you got to do".

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m planning on doing bars soon and might as well add heated grips. What’s everyone using? Anything else you’re doing while the bars are off? Thanks guys.
HD heated grips work fine. They get hot so use gloves, some gloves are designed to be used with heated grips....no insulation on the palm side. Installed myself and no need to buy the electrical harness Harley says you need (2020RGS). The stock Harley heated grips are plug and play, and the stock heated grips connections are "buried" in the harness under the gauges. Good Luck. While the bars were off, I knocked the pin deep into the handle bar base to accommodate my new bars. Some bars will come with the hole for the pin (designed to keep the bars from rotating under pressure) and some don't have the hole. Also, while the clamshells are off, you can grind down the pins on those also so you can rotate the clamshells to a custom personal position vs the minimal movement you get with the stock pins that are cast into them. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I installed the Kahuna Heated Grips ,and love having them. they are perfect for the spring and fall riding down to 35, after that its heated gloves.
I also installed @ the same time polyurethane riser bushings, lighted hand control's.( one of my favorite upgrades)
Good luck with your upgrades. Ride safe. This forum cost me so much money...lol

·
Shark of the Month October 13
9,283 Posts
Hey Fuzzy. not sure about the gloves but here is your next seat Corbin Motorcycle Seats & Accessories | Fire and Ice Saddle | 800-538-7035
I know I hadn't been on Corbin's site for several years but I'm shocked that I haven't seen or heard anything about this seat technology on here or in any of the mainstream cycle media. I'm a little skeptical of the effectiveness of the cooling feature as reducing the surface temp 10-15 degrees doesn't amount to much when you leave you bike sitting in the sun down here and the seat gets heated to the point when you can hardly stand to sit on it for the first couple minutes. I've never measured the temp on the seat but it has to be 130+ degrees, 10-15 degrees doesn't even begin to make a difference under those circumstances. Just my 'off the cuff' reaction to what they say in their ad, I reserve final judgement until I hear reviews from actual users in southern states. Thanks for pointing this out to me.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Never ran heated grips personally, I have seen too many failures for me to want to spend the money on them. The newer ones may very well have gotten better though. I'm thinking back 4-5 years here.
On another note, I gotta guy with a Batwing getting some KST's and he opted for the heated grips by KOSO. The unfortunate thing about these is that they get wired externally as far as I know. I'm going to see if I can fix that and run them internal but he already said "it's not about the looks for me, it's about the comfort so do what you got to do".
I’m way too particular to not wire things internally, I’m envious of people that solely care about the function.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I installed the Kahuna Heated Grips ,and love having them. they are perfect for the spring and fall riding down to 35, after that its heated gloves.
I also installed @ the same time polyurethane riser bushings, lighted hand control's.( one of my favorite upgrades)
Good luck with your upgrades. Ride safe. This forum cost me so much money...lol
I’ve looked at the lighted controls before they definitely give the bike a nice touch but like most things harley doesn’t list them as compatible for the 21s. Im sure they are abs harley just hasn’t updated parts compatibility yet. Im running into the same thing with the auxiliary wire harness that it’s looking like I might not need for the heated grip install.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts